Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

Sleep Well Beast was the last time I enjoyed listening to a National album. I don’t know if it’s a marketing thing or something else, but they feel spent to me at this point in time. Doesn’t mean they are, just that I’m not into what they are doing.

Yeah the last one had moments but the two before it were so dull, sleepy time lullabies for slightly sad bearded middle age dads.

I think the yarn he spun was he wanted to be Woody Guthrie but that’s an entirely different conversation.

I don’t think Dylan ever intentionally revealed more of his real self in public than he had to. Bits bled out through his music but his real persona was kept hidden. I like that separation, I don’t need to know all about an artist to love their art, in fact often I don’t want to know.

I get that there is a nuance between this and an artist purposefully creating a character, or a series of characters, as per the main convo.

Or rather co-oped the parts of Guthrie biography to help tell the story he was looking to tell. He never hid who he was but his music was lent an air of authenticity if the fans thought of him as a woody Guthrie type as opposed to a middle class midwesterner. Fans enjoy the story and are willing to play along. It’s all pro-wrestling that way.
I mean he wanted to be Guthrie and as coy as he can be, I don’t think he’s ever been less than honest about that.

Actually, Orville Peck is an interesting bit altogether. I don’t particularly enjoy his voice (I dig his actual thing though). He and Colter Wall (whom I enjoy very much) are odd. They don’t ring as authentic to me, like I don’t believe their performance. I know Johnny didn’t kill a man in Reno but when you’re hearing that song you believe he spent time in Folsom Prison.

Orville did something different before... drumming in punk band Nü Sensae
It’s really interesting when someone COMPLETELY changes up what they’re doing in a way that totally alters the course of their career. Thinking here of Dallas Green going from Alexisonfire to City & Colour, or the guy from Staind becoming a country artist (or Darius Rucker for that matter).

Not related to the original topic at all, just interesting.

In fact you know who I think belongs in that conversation? Phil Collins.

It’s really interesting when someone COMPLETELY changes up what they’re doing in a way that totally alters the course of their career. Thinking here of Dallas Green going from Alexisonfire to City & Colour, or the guy from Staind becoming a country artist (or Darius Rucker for that matter).

Not related to the original topic at all, just interesting.

In fact you know who I think belongs in that conversation? Phil Collins.
Was there that much difference between Hootie and Rucker’s Country music? I guarantee he could pull off songs from either phase of his career in either phase of his career.

By the time Collins was making it as a solo artist, Genesis had already started making very similar music.

This thing about personas - to me image, characters, sleeve art, visuals, personality, it's all part of the package an artist is putting out there. It's part of a whole with the music and helps tell the story the artist wants to tell. It can serve to draw you in (I mean that's the whole point). There's nothing wrong with it. Then the music matters too. I tend to take it or leave it as a whole. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I mean he wanted to be Guthrie and as coy as he can be, I don’t think he’s ever been less than honest about that.
I am not saying he was dishonest at all. That is my point, he was playing the part. He just wasn’t telling every interviewer that he was doing a bit every time someone was doing a write up about him. He was letting the mystery be which allowed fans to imagine him as a tramp poet.

Was there that much difference between Hootie and Rucker’s Country music? I guarantee he could pull off songs from either phase of his career in either phase of his career.

By the time Collins was making it as a solo artist, Genesis had already started making very similar music.
For Rucker I’d say the content changed slightly but who he was selling it to changed dramatically.

For Collins I think that’s the point. He starts with one of the densest prog acts out there and by the end of his tenure he’s transformed it into a vehicle that sets him up to eventually go out on a Disney soundtrack. It doesn’t seem that wild of an arc but we’ve talked about this one at length before: you hold Lamb Lies Down on Broadway up against No Jacket Required and you’ll get whiplash from the contrast.

Back