Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

I can’t name a single Cage the Elephant song.
I can't either, but I can't name half the songs on most of my favorite albums unless they're playing. I am terrible with titles.

I don't really know CTE at all though. I had a music blogger friend share a download of one of their albums in the early 2010s, but I never really got to know it

Here's my jazz hot take

The majority of Lee Morgans solo albums are decent soul jazz affairs, but it pales in his comparison to his work both in the Jazz Messengers and as a sideman. He performs much better in that context

Lee Morgan sideman > Lee Morgan bandleader

Also

The Sidewinder < The Rumproller
Oh wow, this IS a hot take.

I like to think of the Jazz Messengers as being an incubator for young talent, but with the musicians playing within the confines of Blakey's ideas. He allowed for plenty of freedom within the solo's and compositions but at the end of the day, it was down to him which tunes got played and how the musicians were to approach them. What it did was allow each individual musician time to really focus on their playing and writing because they didn't have to lead the session and worry about everyone else, which would naturally create a more polished result.

By the time Morgan joined the Jazz Messengers he had already led 7 sessions (including big hitters such as The Cooker, City Lights, and Volume 3) but it was AFTER his time with the Messengers (he was forced out in 1961) that his most successful albums (the Sidewinder, Search For The New Land, The Rumproller, Cornbread) were recorded. It could be seen as a natural progression but its clear that he benefitted from his time with the group.

In terms of comparing the 2, I personally prefer his time as lead as we really get to hear how he imagined all of the musicians should sound within the context of the performance (whereas in the Messengers his job typically was to follow Blakey's decisions and/or solo). He definitely cooks in the Messengers and his time with the group is still my favourite of their iterations.

The Sidewinder was Blue Notes most commercially successful release and it's hard to deny that the title track is super catchy, but I agee with you that there are others that are better. I much prefer Search For The New Land, Volume 3 (Hasaan's Dream alone is worth it) and The Cooker.

I enjoy St. Anger... THERE I SAID IT
I worked a retail job that had their own music piped in on a loop, it was 95 percent soft/marshmellow rock but the 2 songs that were heavy were St Anger and Hole take everything. It was mostly an older crowd that would come in and we would always crack up at their reactions, and we had no control over the volume or choice of music they played so we just had to apologize to them and basically tell them to suck it up and Maddona or Michael McDonald will be on before you know it.

as a huuuuge lee morgan fan i can see this point. id like to point out that drugs and his personal life may have played a big role in that. and yes, rumproller is every bit as good as sidewinder if not better. then again im partial to city lights sooooo...

Oh wow, this IS a hot take.

I like to think of the Jazz Messengers as being an incubator for young talent, but with the musicians playing within the confines of Blakey's ideas. He allowed for plenty of freedom within the solo's and compositions but at the end of the day, it was down to him which tunes got played and how the musicians were to approach them. What it did was allow each individual musician time to really focus on their playing and writing because they didn't have to lead the session and worry about everyone else, which would naturally create a more polished result.

By the time Morgan joined the Jazz Messengers he had already led 7 sessions (including big hitters such as The Cooker, City Lights, and Volume 3) but it was AFTER his time with the Messengers (he was forced out in 1961) that his most successful albums (the Sidewinder, Search For The New Land, The Rumproller, Cornbread) were recorded. It could be seen as a natural progression but its clear that he benefitted from his time with the group.

In terms of comparing the 2, I personally prefer his time as lead as we really get to hear how he imagined all of the musicians should sound within the context of the performance (whereas in the Messengers his job typically was to follow Blakey's decisions and/or solo). He definitely cooks in the Messengers and his time with the group is still my favourite of their iterations.

The Sidewinder was Blue Notes most commercially successful release and it's hard to deny that the title track is super catchy, but I agee with you that there are others that are better. I much prefer Search For The New Land, Volume 3 (Hasaan's Dream alone is worth it) and The Cooker.

How about this Lee Morgan hot take. The Live at the Lighthouse box? It’s just too much music. Who needs all of that? (Yea I have the Sun Bear concerts box) 😆

as a huuuuge lee morgan fan i can see this point. id like to point out that drugs and his personal life may have played a big role in that. and yes, rumproller is every bit as good as sidewinder if not better. then again im partial to city lights sooooo...
I have heard that argument before and kind of understand it to a point, but to play devil's advocate I would say that it isn't like his albums pre-drugs were average or unadventurous. City Lights is a great example (and one of my faves) as it's quite unlike any other album released at the time.

I always wonder what direction he would have taken his music if he had lived longer. He was already starting to experiment in his final few session, who knows how far he might of taken it.

How about this Lee Morgan hot take. The Live at the Lighthouse box? It’s just too much music. Who needs all of that? (Yea I have the Sun Bear concerts box) 😆
Hahaha! I think in this case it all depends on the individual's connection to the artist. I LOVE Lee Morgan's playing and can't get enough, I have more albums by him than maybe any other musician in my collection for that reason. If it was someone else then I can imagine that I would have the same view, but honestly its just soooo good :ROFLMAO:

The Who, The Stones & Bob Dylan still have not clicked for me. Maybe in 20 years.

Edit as to not being too spicy: It's not like I dislike them.. I just don't hold them in the regard others do
I'm with you on this. There's precious little Stones that grabs me but some of that shit is fire. Dylan towers over all in song writing but his actual delivery leaves much to be desired. The Who is like top 40 oldies stuff only IMO and that is way overplayed. Truth be told, who cares? It's like this shit is way, way overplayed and definitely overrated. There's so much out there why waste my time trying to conform?

The Who, The Stones & Bob Dylan still have not clicked for me. Maybe in 20 years.

Edit as to not being too spicy: It's not like I dislike them.. I just don't hold them in the regard others do

I've never gotten into Led Zeppelin. I've tried several times to listen to the albums and songs but can't seem to click with it. Probably same with the stones, but I do like some Stones songs(at least more the Zep!) I also don't dislike them but can't seem to relate to the hype.

I also don't dislike them but can't seem to relate to the hype.
Good sir, are you suggesting that you can not like something and simultaneously also not dislike it?!

I am uncomfortable with that level of maturity. Quite frankly, I'm offended by it.

You'll need to leave the internet post haste.

Hahaha! I think in this case it all depends on the individual's connection to the artist. I LOVE Lee Morgan's playing and can't get enough, I have more albums by him than maybe any other musician in my collection for that reason. If it was someone else then I can imagine that I would have the same view, but honestly its just soooo good :ROFLMAO:

This from a guy who called up a record label and got them to shop their entire catalog 😂

I'm with you on this. There's precious little Stones that grabs me but some of that shit is fire. Dylan towers over all in song writing but his actual delivery leaves much to be desired. The Who is like top 40 oldies stuff only IMO and that is way overplayed. Truth be told, who cares? It's like this shit is way, way overplayed and definitely overrated. There's so much out there why waste my time trying to conform?

Stones: Sticky Fingers maybe Exile, but you can get most of that from SF.

The Who: meh

Dylan: Yea I like some stuff, but never felt it was necessary to collect his albums.

Back