Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

I wont argue with that lol. The crowd at Flo Milli was 95% white women, 5% white gay men. And i have a feeling lizzo and megan thee stallion will be the same way
The first time I became aware of Firefly it was during a recap video from a previous year and it was just a sea of white people.
I think the Killers had either played or were about to.

I think the Killers had either played or were about to.
They are always simultaneously coming off of playing a tour on the white festival circuit, and getting ready for that same tour.

Caught the end of their set at Outside Lands a couple years ago, as they were the main headliners of the night and every other set had wrapped up. Seemed like the whole crowd was super lukewarm on everything except for the hits. Dude tried soooooo hard to be Springsteen up there, even brining out a sax player for a solo and trying to get that on stage chemistry going. It was sad.

Last edited:
Here's my jazz hot take

The majority of Lee Morgans solo albums are decent soul jazz affairs, but it pales in his comparison to his work both in the Jazz Messengers and as a sideman. He performs much better in that context

Lee Morgan sideman > Lee Morgan bandleader

Also

The Sidewinder < The Rumproller

Here's my jazz hot take

The majority of Lee Morgans solo albums are decent soul jazz affairs, but it pales in his comparison to his work both in the Jazz Messengers and as a sideman. He performs much better in that context

Also

Hummm. Both of these bands just follow the standard jazz album format. Write some tunes, get a band together and perform them. The Messengers had a lot of time to develop that sensitivity to each other. On the other hand Lee was able to pick a funkier drummer. Blakey was a monster, intense and hard swinging. But he couldn’t do much slick funky stuff. I guess it boils down to what sidemen you like better. That opening to Lee’s solo on Moanin’ is probably his most memorable phrases. My classic Morgan’s are Sidewinder and Cornbread.

Here's my jazz hot take

Also

You need some Search for the New Land in your life.

I agree Sidewinder is overrated. Cornbread is way better.

Idk how hot of a take this is but I couldnt help thinking about it last night

Cage the Elephant > The Killers in every conceivable way and should really take over their headlining spots at festivals
This works for me. I'm not super into CTE, but to me, everything The Killers did after Hot Fuss was the Bruce Springsteen/Meatloaf crossover I never wanted.

You need some Search for the New Land in your life.

I agree Sidewinder is overrated. Cornbread is way better.
I do, my listening (for better or for worse) has mainly been through physical copies, and a good copy of this one hasnt fallen into my lap, via a new pressing or a nice clean CD I can rip.

Cornbread is great though. Title track sounds like the theme to a funky 70's Black sitcom, in the BEST way possible,

I've only really ever heard CTE in the context of playing Borderlands. That was enough.

But why comparison w The Killers? I don't know Killers music all that much outside of the singles but doesn't CTE sound more like Jet?

Remember Jet?! Oh man those were the halcyon days of rock music!

Naw, I'm just kidding they were trash. It's all trash. That's not a hot take. Buttery hot cakes. Mmmm.....hot cakes

Back