Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

I don’t know if this is a hot take but I need to vent.
Great gets used far too often when describing something. Most of the time it’s used in conjunction with an album.
Also I’m beginning to despise when people preface their “this is the greatest ska album ever recorded” statement with IMO.

I feel slightly better.
Thanks.

That rant was...stupendous!

How come specifically for that genre? Is this a habit among ska fans?

Imma take a shot in the dark but is it because saying "the greatest ska album" is a lot like saying "the tastiest garbage"?
Today it was specifically ska and yesterday it was punk. And even more specific, the album in question is Turn The Radio Off from Reel Big Fish. I mean technically it’s not even ska in the traditional sense. Everyone know it’s ska punk.
It seems like I keep picking the wrong FB groups to join. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Great gets used far too often when describing something. Most of the time it’s used in conjunction with an album.
Also I’m beginning to despise when people preface their “this is the greatest ska album ever recorded” statement with IMO.

I feel slightly better.
Thanks.

Great not so much seeing as its pretty much become synonymous with good as an adjective. I had a great pizza tonight for dinner.

All time great or greatest, yeah totally on board with you there. That along with proclaiming the perfection of new releases, let that thing settle for a while, you might think its shit in a year.

Great not so much seeing as its pretty much become synonymous with good as an adjective. I had a great pizza tonight for dinner.

All time great or greatest, yeah totally on board with you there. That along with proclaiming the perfection of new releases, let that thing settle for a while, you might think its shit in a year.
Couldn’t agree more. Let it settle.

I feel slightly better.
Thanks.
IMHO, This is brilliant, excellent, fantastic, and/or amazing take. I am literally obsessed with it.

The greatest ever?

@PadishahEmperorDiaperBaby beat me to it...
Lol I got my email alert for your post, read it, and rushed to refresh to see whose was first! I was going to be embarrassed if I made the same joke as someone else, but second. I'd feel like a chump.

Oh, oh, oh...not that you should. It happens to everyone. I mean, not me or anyone I'd include in my social circle or admit to knowing but I've heard stories.

Yahtzee! Jumanji! Prima noctae!

Lol I got my email alert for your post, read it, and rushed to refresh to see whose was first! I was going to be embarrassed if I made the same joke as someone else, but second. I'd feel like a chump.

Oh, oh, oh...not that you should. It happens to everyone. I mean, not me or anyone I'd include in my social circle or admit to knowing but I've heard stories.

Yahtzee! Jumanji! Prima noctae!

Is the change in you screen name a Dune reference?

Today it was specifically ska and yesterday it was punk. And even more specific, the album in question is Turn The Radio Off from Reel Big Fish. I mean technically it’s not even ska in the traditional sense. Everyone know it’s ska punk.
It seems like I keep picking the wrong FB groups to join. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Hot take here : maybe deciding to be on Facebook at all is the problematic choice?
😬

Hot take here : maybe deciding to be on Facebook at all is the problematic choice?
😬

That’s very possible. Honestly, I’m only in 4 music related groups. 2 of them are gear related and the other 2 are strictly posting what ever is spinning. Both lack any kind of conversations that happen here.
There was a time in my life when I had no problem telling someone that certain bands were trash, and I’ve tried very hard to get past that point, but maybe it would be easier to just leave those groups 😁

That’s very possible. Honestly, I’m only in 4 music related groups. 2 of them are gear related and the other 2 are strictly posting what ever is spinning. Both lack any kind of conversations that happen here.
There was a time in my life when I had no problem telling someone that certain bands were trash, and I’ve tried very hard to get past that point, but maybe it would be easier to just leave those groups 😁

Because I'm on here, Its kind of hard to say you'd be better off avoiding ALL social media.

But N&G is about a close to the Chat Groups that were my first experience with the internet when I was a freshman in college in the early 90s.

Notably, this happens to pair nicely with my vinyl hobby : both are outmoded technologies proven vastly superior in all aspects to their most modern equivalents.

I'll echo that hot take. I looked through the AotY listings and there's plenty of albums I enjoyed but looking at 2020 I think there's 5+ albums I'd put at #1 over my current 2021 #1 (Lucy Dacus' Home Video, which I unabashedly loved). Maybe the best music of this year is just genres I don't care for, but it's underwhelming for albums.

Here's another 1/2 baked idea/Hot take: The modern Alt/Indie Female Singer/Songwriter sound is the Hair Metal of today.
The question is who is going to end up being the Warrant in this scenario?

Van Halen

Def Leppard

Motley Crue

Guns & Roses

Bon Jovi

Cinderella

Whitesnake

Ratt

Scorpions

Dokken

Twisted Sister

Quiet Riot

Faster Pussycat

LA Guns

Skid Row

Kix

W.A.S.P.

Y&T

Europe

Winger

White Lion

Here's another 1/2 baked idea/Hot take: The modern Alt/Indie Female Singer/Songwriter sound is the Hair Metal of today.
The question is who is going to end up being the Warrant in this scenario?

Van Halen

Def Leppard

Motley Crue

Guns & Roses

Bon Jovi

Cinderella

Whitesnake

Ratt

Scorpions

Dokken

Twisted Sister

Quiet Riot

Faster Pussycat

LA Guns

Skid Row

Kix

W.A.S.P.

Y&T

Europe

Winger

White Lion

This take is so thorough it can’t be qualified as hot.

Last edited:
Back