Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

.....inhales deeply...............

Taco Bell isn't food.

giphy.gif

@Jonathan Y and I have had this discussion previously. To me, it barely qualifies as food let alone delicious food. Also, it is an absolute garbage representation of Mexican food. I may be a bit spoiled here in AZ as the amount of good, authentic, and delectable Mexican food is abundant, but Taco Bell is just a dumpster fire.

There, go ahead, rip me to shreds! My body is ready. LOL

@Jonathan Y and I have had this discussion previously. To me, it barely qualifies as food let alone delicious food. Also, it is an absolute garbage representation of Mexican food. I may be a bit spoiled here in AZ as the amount of good, authentic, and delectable Mexican food is abundant, but Taco Bell is just a dumpster fire.

Its Tex mex tho!

Authentic cuisine as a term is troublesome. Having lived in Mexico for a couple of years and traveling around most of their states, and living in the southwest currently, I will submit that authentic to one person is not authentic to another. It depends upon region, what you ate growing up, etc. Do I look at TB as a representation of MX cuisine? Not really. Same as most of the monstrosities we call sushi isn't really "authentic". I've also lived in SEA/Thailand, but damned if I hardly ever find khao nao here. Or having grown up in the NYC-area, I have strong opinions on pizza; however, things like Dominos/Papa Johns serve a purpose on occasions. I take food as it comes without worrying about labels and more so on taste. And TB is delicious food-adjacent stuff.

Plus we all know TB will win the fast food wars, so meet your master

I have a theory that anybody extolling the virtues of fast food isn't coming at it from the perspective of having tried it after a long, long break from it. You might be acclimated to it right now, but this theory says that if you were take a serious hiatus and then come back to it, you'd be kind of disgusted by it. That's been my experience, anyway.

Authentic cuisine as a term is troublesome. Having lived in Mexico for a couple of years and traveling around most of their states, and living in the southwest currently, I will submit that authentic to one person is not authentic to another. It depends upon region, what you ate growing up, etc. Do I look at TB as a representation of MX cuisine? Not really. Same as most of the monstrosities we call sushi isn't really "authentic". I've also lived in SEA/Thailand, but damned if I hardly ever find khao nao here. Or having grown up in the NYC-area, I have strong opinions on pizza; however, things like Dominos/Papa Johns serve a purpose on occasions. I take food as it comes without worrying about labels and more so on taste. And TB is delicious food-adjacent stuff.
Agreed. Whether some restaurant is "authentic" could not mean less to me when my friends and I are looking for a place to eat. It comes from the same place as people complaining about "tourists" and "touristy areas" when they're travelling. Like, fuck, a) who cares? and b) that's you!

I have a theory that anybody extolling the virtues of fast food isn't coming at it from the perspective of having tried it after a long, long break from it. You might be acclimated to it right now, but this theory says that if you were take a serious hiatus and then come back to it, you'd be kind of disgusted by it. That's been my experience, anyway.

I'm in this boat. If I eat fast food now (after avoiding it almost completely for ~5 years now) my entire body feels gross. Fast food is disgusting.

I don't know. I was a vegan for most of my early 20's and didn't eat fast food for years. It's still delicious. Perhaps you are trying to convince yourself that you've made the right choice to not eat it? Unburden yourself. Cleanse your palate. Eat a Doritos Locos Taco.

Back