Home Improvement Thread 2: Electric Redo the Loo

Well I’ve moved into my new place. Getting comfortable. The laundry room is actually kind of nice so I’m not gonna get that added. However the shower exhaust fan sounds like a couple Of bears wrestling. I wonder how easy it would be to change it out.

Well I’ve moved into my new place. Getting comfortable. The laundry room is actually kind of nice so I’m not gonna get that added. However the shower exhaust fan sounds like a couple Of bears wrestling. I wonder how easy it would be to change it out.

If you get one the same size, or even better the same model or its replacement, I don’t see that it should be any more difficult than changing a light fitting because you should then be able to use the existing holes/vents.

Maybe but I suspect this is the original fan from the late 70’s

Yeah that could potentially be a bit more complicated. When I moved in my bathrooom fan was fucked but because it was a new build I was able to pick up the same one online and switch it over myself!

Yeah that could potentially be a bit more complicated. When I moved in my bathrooom fan was fucked but because it was a new build I was able to pick up the same one online and switch it over myself!
I’m assuming it wasn’t hardwired.just a plug in situation within the wall. I hope that my situation.

I’m assuming it wasn’t hardwired.just a plug in situation within the wall. I hope that my situation.

Oh no it was hardwired on the light circuit. Just had to turn off the bathroom lights at the breaker and otherwise it was the same as fitting a new light fixture.

It should be a light fixture mechanism no matter the age, you should theoretically be able to replace it with one the same size or bigger. There should be a light box above it. Venting could be an issue, but if it is a different size, there should be a plethora of adapters at your hardware store.

If you can change a light fixture, you can do a fan. You may have to cut some ceiling if the new unit is larger. Most should have a template to help you do this.

I want to put up blackout curtains. My bedroom wall is cement/plaster? Not drywall so I don't want to put nails in it. I'm renting so the less work when I eventually move the better. Problem is the windows don't have enough room for a tension bar. Any ideas? 1000026329.jpg1000026328.jpg

I want to put up blackout curtains. My bedroom wall is cement/plaster? Not drywall so I don't want to put nails in it. I'm renting so the less work when I eventually move the better. Problem is the windows don't have enough room for a tension bar. Any ideas? View attachment 196481View attachment 196482
I imagine you could fairly easily remove those blinds temporarily

I imagine you could fairly easily remove those blinds temporarily

Yeah, they're probably just sitting on a bracket being held in by a couple of screws. Usually you can just lift the blinds off the brackets.

Looks like you're right. So then I'd just need 2 sets of blackout curtains and then secure them in the windowsill somehow?

Looks like you're right. So then I'd just need 2 sets of blackout curtains and then secure them in the windowsill somehow?
You'd have to find blackout curtains that mount on the inside instead of using a typical rod. That might be the tricky part but I'm sure they are out there.

You'd have to find blackout curtains that mount on the inside instead of using a typical rod. That might be the tricky part but I'm sure they are out there.
Gotcha. I already have curtains from my last place that would cover the entire thing if I could figure a way to hang it on the wall/outside of the windowsill

I want to put up blackout curtains. My bedroom wall is cement/plaster? Not drywall so I don't want to put nails in it. I'm renting so the less work when I eventually move the better. Problem is the windows don't have enough room for a tension bar. Any ideas? View attachment 196481View attachment 196482

Could you use something like these? I know they wont perfectly blackout the room, but you wont have to drill any holes.

That might work assuming the trim for it is wide enough. It says on their not to use it with certain woods/molding
Yeah you definitely don't have MDF molding with that profile. Not sure what the risk they see with oak... unless it has to do with popping off some chunks due to the grain. Just throwing out options. Risks and rewards with any of them though.

Yeah you definitely don't have MDF molding with that profile. Not sure what the risk they see with oak... unless it has to do with popping off some chunks due to the grain. Just throwing out options. Risks and rewards with any of them though.

I'll have to see if 3m makes a command strip knock off

Back