Home Improvement Thread 2: Electric Redo the Loo

Lawns are for people who hate nature.
I mean you are not wrong. I’m going to get up on my soap box here, but lawns do not support wildlife. They also require a lot of resources and time to maintain. People should really be looking into replacing them with plants native to their area. Probably some of you know that when I had a home I was replacing my lawn with California native plants. I was gradually expanding beds and replanting. In CA it’s about conserving water. The exotic plants CA is know for are form other climates and actually cause a lot of problems.

Our dryer just broke but I took it apart and managed to fix it myself. Ended up just being a broken dryer belt
Same here. Buuuuuut the cause of the broken belt was a small plastic guide melting from a kids shoe getting lodged between the drum and housing. So I basically have to replace the motor too unless I want to chance breaking another $50 belt at some point. The plastic piece is unfortunately not one of those user replaceable parts on the list. ☹️

Same here. Buuuuuut the cause of the broken belt was a small plastic guide melting from a kids shoe getting lodged between the drum and housing. So I basically have to replace the motor too unless I want to chance breaking another $50 belt at some point. The plastic piece is unfortunately not one of those user replaceable parts on the list. ☹️
Luckily the cause of my belt breaking was it being an old ass dryer haha. I know we will have to buy another dryer soonish but luckily the belt was about $15 shipped and it works for now. There was also a bunch of birdseed inside the dryer when I opened it up 🤣. The previous owner had a ton of birds flying around the house.

Thanks @Melt Face Molly Drop for informing me about this thread. So here's the deal. New apartment. It was built in the late 40's so the fireplace was the focal point of the living room. I don't want to mount a TV above a fireplace. Here's some pics (the ikea cabinet thing on the wall is no longer there) as well as a pic of my current setup to give an idea or what I'm used to. GetMedia (2).jpegGetMedia (1).jpegGetMedia.jpeg20231016_114135.jpg20231016_114126.jpg20220423_084755.jpg

It looks like you have the perfect spot and room for a projector set up.

This is how I’ve set mine up over the past few years. It’s also pretty affordable, you can get a motorized screen and a pretty good projector for less than a TV these days IMG_2662.jpegIMG_1950.png

Thanks @Melt Face Molly Drop for informing me about this thread. So here's the deal. New apartment. It was built in the late 40's so the fireplace was the focal point of the living room. I don't want to mount a TV above a fireplace. Here's some pics (the ikea cabinet thing on the wall is no longer there) as well as a pic of my current setup to give an idea or what I'm used to. View attachment 186017View attachment 186018View attachment 186019View attachment 186020View attachment 186022View attachment 186024

Because it’s rental it’s difficult. Also a door either side of the fireplace is fucking with the ideal. TV in a corner would give so many more options.

For the hifi the ideal would be to have the kallax and the amp on the blank wall and the speakers either side of the fireplace but there’s a door in the way and you won’t be able to run speaker cable through the walls of a rental.

For the tv it’s difficult with the fireplace because facing the fireplace is the only sensible place for a long sofa and above the fireplace looks naff and will give neck strain.

The compromise, as much as I wouldn’t like it, would be to have the set up as it is in your current space against that now blank wall. Have a sofa facing the fireplace and maybe a comfy chair for your solo tv/listening facing the tv and hifi.

It looks like you have the perfect spot and room for a projector set up.

This is how I’ve set mine up over the past few years. It’s also pretty affordable, you can get a motorized screen and a pretty good projector for less than a TV these days View attachment 186028View attachment 186029
Projector is an interesting idea but I have an LG CX that is great for movies and video games and the goal is to not spend too much money.
Because it’s rental it’s difficult. Also a door either side of the fireplace is fucking with the ideal. TV in a corner would give so many more options.

For the hifi the ideal would be to have the kallax and the amp on the blank wall and the speakers either side of the fireplace but there’s a door in the way and you won’t be able to run speaker cable through the walls of a rental.

For the tv it’s difficult with the fireplace because facing the fireplace is the only sensible place for a long sofa and above the fireplace looks naff and will give neck strain.

The compromise, as much as I wouldn’t like it, would be to have the set up as it is in your current space against that now blank wall. Have a sofa facing the fireplace and maybe a comfy chair for your solo tv/listening facing the tv and hifi.
Yeah I've been going through all of those scenarios as well. Is there any reason I couldn't have the speaker cables stapled/taped around the door frame? And would the heat of a fire be too much for the Lintons?

Projector is an interesting idea but I have an LG CX that is great for movies and video games and the goal is to not spend too much money.

Yeah I've been going through all of those scenarios as well. Is there any reason I couldn't have the speaker cables stapled/taped around the door frame? And would the heat of a fire be too much for the Lintons?

You could do that with the speaker cables for sure if they’re thin enough. One speaker cable run will need to go over the mantelpiece too which might look a bit messy. I don’t think the fire will affect the Linton’s, you’ve got plenty of space either side of it that they’re not going to be right on top of it.

I like the projector idea as well.

Last edited:
You could do that with the speaker cables for sure if they’re thin enough. One speaker cable run will need to go over the mantelpiece too which might look a bit messy. I don’t think the fire will affect the Linton’s, you’ve got plenty of space either side of it that they’re not going to be right on top of it.

I like the projector idea as well.

Yeah the projector idea is interesting!

I'm sure there's cables thin enough that work.

Also thinking about putting the TV between the windows and then the speakers by the fire. Amp and everything on the wall then couch facing the wall and a swivel chair that can be head on to both. But right now tv on wall with similar set up to what I currently have is winning.

Thanks @Melt Face Molly Drop for informing me about this thread. So here's the deal. New apartment. It was built in the late 40's so the fireplace was the focal point of the living room. I don't want to mount a TV above a fireplace. Here's some pics (the ikea cabinet thing on the wall is no longer there) as well as a pic of my current setup to give an idea or what I'm used to. View attachment 186017View attachment 186018View attachment 186019View attachment 186020View attachment 186022View attachment 186024
Did you remove the storage cubes in picture two? You could try that tv set up on the blank wall in picture four.

I’m about 90% of the way to being a homeowner again. In the next two weeks I will probably moving into a condo. Cosleeping with a 8 year old will be a thing of the past. I think 🤔

What’s a condo? I often see it referred to in the americas but its not a description we use.

Basically an apartment/flat that you own. Sometimes more of a townhouse with neighbors on one or both sides with an entrance to the outside.

Oh ok so we’d call and apartment/flat an apartment/flat whether you own it or not. It it’s over 2 floors it’d be a duplex apartment/flat. The other thing I can think of that would fall under that description would be a maisonette which would more fit the outside door and back garden if you were ground/lower ground.

We’d use townhouse for a terraced house over 3 floors.

Last edited:
Oh ok so we’d call and apartment/flat an apartment/flat whether you own it or not. It it’s over 2 floors it’d be a duplex apartment/flat. The other thing I can think of that would fall under that description would be a maisonette which would more fit the outside door and back garden if you were ground/lower ground.

We’d use townhouse for a terraced house over 3 floors.
The full name would be condominium apartment. But I like the ring of Maisonette! “Welcome to my Maisonette” I’ll say to all the ladies.

It’s two floors shares one wall and I’ll have a small outdoor area Two parking spots. I do have to spend 5k to install a washer and dryer because there is no gas line where they could be.

It makes my budget tight, but better that than give my money to a landlord.

I’m the process I almost had to sue my mortgage broker. It’s a wild and complicated story that has to do with the insurance marked in CA.

The full name would be condominium apartment. But I like the ring of Maisonette! “Welcome to my Maisonette” I’ll say to all the ladies.

It’s two floors shares one wall and I’ll have a small outdoor area Two parking spots. I do have to spend 5k to install a washer and dryer because there is no gas line where they could be.

It makes my budget tight, but better that than give my money to a landlord.

I’m the process I almost had to sue my mortgage broker. It’s a wild and complicated story that has to do with the insurance marked in CA.

How come you need gas for a washer and a dryer? I’ve never heard of ones that aren’t just electric?

Although if i lived in California and had an outside I’d have a clothes line up…

Back