Home Improvement Thread 2: Electric Redo the Loo

You know what sucks? Installing faucets. But these new ones should be easier to clean and I changed the drains and cleaned out the p trap in both bathrooms.
IMG_6655.jpeg
That’s the guest bath. Master had the exact same fixture in matte black.

Last edited:
So our furnace went out of New Year's Eve and now our water pressure tank died on Easter. Holidays are so much fun!

It should be a light fixture mechanism no matter the age, you should theoretically be able to replace it with one the same size or bigger. There should be a light box above it. Venting could be an issue, but if it is a different size, there should be a plethora of adapters at your hardware store.

If you can change a light fixture, you can do a fan. You may have to cut some ceiling if the new unit is larger. Most should have a template to help you do this.
So I set aside a day form my spring break to fix this. Got a stool stood up on and pressed the screen. Problem solved. Its still a little
Loud, but tolerable.

Has anyone gotten their garage floors resurfaced or reconcreted (is that a word?) recently?

There’s some chips and crumbling here. It’s not a great picture from this angle but you can see some divots to the left. Wondering how much this might cost. I don’t want an epoxy floor and that seems like all the rage.

I’m having a guy come out to take a look and see what he thinks. Maybe all we need is a few patches but I have a feeling we’ll need to break up and lay new concrete.

Does anyone know a ballpark figure for this?

IMG_1938.jpeg

Has anyone gotten their garage floors resurfaced or reconcreted (is that a word?) recently?

There’s some chips and crumbling here. It’s not a great picture from this angle but you can see some divots to the left. Wondering how much this might cost. I don’t want an epoxy floor and that seems like all the rage.

I’m having a guy come out to take a look and see what he thinks. Maybe all we need is a few patches but I have a feeling we’ll need to break up and lay new concrete.

Does anyone know a ballpark figure for this?

View attachment 200600
That honestly doesn't look too rough. I don't even think you would need to go with some crazy epoxy coating to make a difference. They make really heavy duty paint and it comes with the paint flecks like a shop floor. Would probably be 100 times cheaper than a whole new concrete slab.

That honestly doesn't look too rough. I don't even think you would need to go with some crazy epoxy coating to make a difference. They make really heavy duty paint and it comes with the paint flecks like a shop floor. Would probably be 100 times cheaper than a whole new concrete slab.

I also have a much worse looking garage floor that still holds my cars just fine.
Yeah! I mean, it’s fine. It looks rough because of different stains from various paints or liquids. The concrete is cracking and crumbling in some places but my fiancé and I think we can probably patch it with some quick concrete. My parents insisted that I have someone come check it out and they want to help pay for it, so I’m not going to say no. I believe this person will also install new garage doors so it’s a 2 for 1 job. If this person, who’s coming this afternoon, says “this is a total gut job” I’ll be a little skeptical and push back. Thank you!

Yeah! I mean, it’s fine. It looks rough because of different stains from various paints or liquids. The concrete is cracking and crumbling in some places but my fiancé and I think we can probably patch it with some quick concrete. My parents insisted that I have someone come check it out and they want to help pay for it, so I’m not going to say no. I believe this person will also install new garage doors so it’s a 2 for 1 job. If this person, who’s coming this afternoon, says “this is a total gut job” I’ll be a little skeptical and push back. Thank you!
I'd be curious to see what the "crumbling" looks like. Cracks to be honest aren't really that bad, it's when they start to show differential movement (like one side is higher than the other) or get bigger than say 1/4" wide that I would start looking for a root cause. My sunken and alligator cracked corner of my garage was from a clogged downspout causing water to undermine the slab for example. Tree roots are another common cause. Bottom line is even if you poured a new slab, it would still stain and crack and spall from all the salt and grease and debris.

Another question is does the garage door meet every part of the slab when it's closed? Ours doesn't and that does allow the mice a quick and easy entry.

I'd be curious to see what the "crumbling" looks like. Cracks to be honest aren't really that bad, it's when they start to show differential movement (like one side is higher than the other) or get bigger than say 1/4" wide that I would start looking for a root cause. My sunken and alligator cracked corner of my garage was from a clogged downspout causing water to undermine the slab for example. Tree roots are another common cause. Bottom line is even if you poured a new slab, it would still stain and crack and spall from all the salt and grease and debris.

Another question is does the garage door meet every part of the slab when it's closed? Ours doesn't and that does allow the mice a quick and easy entry.
I took some pictures lol

It doesn’t line up with the concrete and this one side has it where there is a gap. When we moved in on Sunday it was raining so you could see it leaking into the garage. I think we definitely need new doors and the ground in front repaired so it seals completely. Which leads me to believe it might need to be redone.

IMG_2050.jpegIMG_2049.jpeg

Back