Hip Hop

FWIW

Stillmatic > Illmatic > It Was Written > God's Son > The Lost Tapes > King's Disease > Life Is Good > I Am... > Hip Hop Is Dead > The Firm > Nasir > Lost Tapes 2 > Streets Disciple > Nastradamus > Distant Relatives >QB Finest

My bias Nas opinion rates those first 7 listed extremely highly 🙌🏼🔥 Kings Disease might even push ahead of Lost Tapes for me
Nas & GFK my two top favourite Rappers alive. Pac is my No.1 but Freddie Gibbs is my current no.1 in the game right now

Where is Untitled?

Finally, someone else who's brave enough to admit Stillmatic is Nas's best album
Stillmatic for me is perfection. It was the ultimate comeback album and major F You to the haters doubters and naysayers. The production, lyrics, hooks, features etc all on point. Never a dull moment. Sounds as fresh today as it did back in 2001 and we had the whole Jigga V Nas beef going on, classic diss tracks and moments in hiphop everyone from that time remembers, we got 2 of hiphops greatest ever albums out of it all with Stillmatic & Blueprint. Just phenomenal

What is happening to WebsterX?

I remember seeing him as a future great rapper thanks to Doomsday (2015) but since that it seems he only released one album Daymares in 2017, digital only.

I first heard him when he released Metralleta but Aguardiente hit me over the head (This would be my rec). Beats on the latter bang (Big Ghost) and some awesome features sprinkled through out. His latest, Jaguar in Palisade is solid as well. After that jump into Wet Dirt and then the Perfects (these are produced by the guy who did Pandem/Obama Mask). The Muggs album is good if you are into Muggs more atmospheric production imo, it’s not hitting you over the head with the drums. Hope this helps ✌

Crime is consisistent and for me his rhymes are more interesting than most. I came in around Aguardiente time and that's probably my fave. Jaguar on Palisades had to grow on me, but it's probably my 2nd fave if I tried to rank em.

Every CRIMEAPPLE album slaps

Also this new Mach single is nuts. Preservation went brazy on the beat

Yep

Same. Got some new folks to check out.

Gotta throw out some love to the Massachusetts crew: Al Divino, Estee Nack, Primo Profit and RLX.

Also Da Buze Bruvaz who I think are majorly slept on. And Jay Worthy who is very consistently dope.

Y - I've been on the MA guys too. Estee especially.
Papitas is a good place to start for the uninitiated
and that LND DRGS album from last year is a Jay Worthy fave.

Wiki, Ka, R.A.P.. Siifu, and Billy Woods are probably my other most listened to recent projects. That Che Noir project with Apollo Brown too. Descendants of Cain has been my album of the summer.

I haven't seen anyone mention Eto. I might be his biggest supporter here. I don't think any of his projects are spectacular, but they're all very solid. He seems to fit very well with V Don production but even his more average projects are above average.

As far as GxFR goes. Benny - I love how he strings together rhymes and can switch his style up to fit a lot of different bears. Conway is probably my favorite of the 3. WSG is all vibe and I enjoy his projects but I don't care if he ever raps again. Content-wise it sometimes gets a little boring for me.

I like more lyrical things that challenge me.

Kind of related to the underground hip hop conversation, these are a few projects from this year I'd really like on vinyl, so if anyone sees any of these getting pressed please let me know!

Rav x KB x Scuare - SKIN
$ilkMoney - Attack of the Future Shocked, Flesh Covered, Meatbags of the 85
Kahlil Blue - DOG
Chris Crack - Good Cops Don't Exist
Piff x Cream - War of Art
Horus Ra Mindset - Don't Lose Your Cool
Jay Royale - The Baltimore Housing Project

I'm way behind on my Joe Budden Podcast episodes and being a super weirdo and actually trying to catch up and listen to them all still. The ep I just finished brought back up Cyhi - No Dope on Sundays and I almost forgot how dope it is. Went to discogs only to find it's never been pressed. Someone needs to get on that as I'm all the way in if done

I'm way behind on my Joe Budden Podcast episodes and being a super weirdo and actually trying to catch up and listen to them all still. The ep I just finished brought back up Cyhi - No Dope on Sundays and I almost forgot how dope it is. Went to discogs only to find it's never been pressed. Someone needs to get on that as I'm all the way in if done
A travesty! I saw Cyhi open for KRIT that year and was spitting every word to No Dope but nobody else in there seemed to know who Cyhi was. I'm like bruh he wrote your half your favorite Kanye songs..

No Dope on Sundays definitely needs a pressing, gonna play it now thanks for the trigger

Kind of related to the underground hip hop conversation, these are a few projects from this year I'd really like on vinyl, so if anyone sees any of these getting pressed please let me know!

Rav x KB x Scuare - SKIN
$ilkMoney - Attack of the Future Shocked, Flesh Covered, Meatbags of the 85
Kahlil Blue - DOG
Chris Crack - Good Cops Don't Exist
Piff x Cream - War of Art
Horus Ra Mindset - Don't Lose Your Cool
Jay Royale - The Baltimore Housing Project
What's your source on finding these kinda projects?

What's your source on finding these kinda projects?
My main source is just surfing bandcamp a lot using the various hip hop tags. Also find some when looking through some of the new releases on AOTY or checking rankings on RYM. Every once in a while I find something good on the fresh finds hip hop playlist on Spotify. And this thread of course, pretty sure someone mentioned that Jay Royale project here, and it's fire!

Back