Guitar Players Thread

Oh geez it comes in olive drab; I dunno if I can resist that. I guess a pro (and financial con) is that I'd be able to mix/match pedals for different sounds, which is something I've never tried before. I was looking at the Epiphone Les Paul, so it seems like I'm on the right track.

That also looks excellent; good to know there are some great options regardless of the type of guitar I'd go with.

As for those questions, I'm of two minds:

I enjoyed my acoustic for just strumming along a bit, playing along with the folk songs I liked. I'm not much of a singer, so my focus is less playing stuff to sing along with. I also like the sound of electric as well as the potential of playing some of the crunchier songs I like; ~10 years ago when I was playing most frequently, I probably was working my way through a lot of Modest Mouse and White Stripes. I'm a huge Neil fan, so I can find stuff from his catalog I could play on either.

Not sure I'd play with other people; I don't have many musically inclined friends, so were I to play with others I'd have to be practiced/comfortable enough to want to put myself out there and play with strangers.

And living situation wise, I'm not sure anything is in my way; I live in a duplex but they're cool with noise/instruments. My only concern partnerwise would be some sidelong glances for taking on a hobby I was previously less interested in (had my $99 acoustic for as long as we've known one another and to be fair she never saw me pick it up), but we keep separate finances and she recently remarked that I should make some ridiculous purchase with my bonus, as it's rare for me to treat myself.
Seems like you're leaning electric, then! Which probably makes sense considering you do still have your old acoustic if you ever need it. Highly recommend making it to a shop if you're able and the lockdown situation allows, and just play anything that looks cool! I've always loved the ES bodies too though I've never played one.

Also, I will say don't count out some of the "higher end" Squier Telecasters like the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified. My main guitar is actually a Squier Classic Vibe and it's a heck of a lot nicer than the MIM Fender Start that I used to own.

Just an FYI, the one you linked is the dot. I'm not sure if that has the coil splitting if that's important to you. Here's the one I own in Cherry red. I love the block inlays.

This is where I shamefully admit I don't know what that means. Google's telling me that it affects the amount of noise that gets picked up.
Seems like you're leaning electric, then! Which probably makes sense considering you do still have your old acoustic if you ever need it. Highly recommend making it to a shop if you're able and the lockdown situation allows, and just play anything that looks cool! I've always loved the ES bodies too though I've never played one.
Oh no and now this is where I shamefully admit the acoustic went to goodwill 1-2 years ago. Though it was a real cheapie, and I honestly think something a bit more playable and fun will get more usage out of me.

This is where I shamefully admit I don't know what that means. Google's telling me that it affects the amount of noise that gets picked up.

Oh no and now this is where I shamefully admit the acoustic went to goodwill 1-2 years ago. Though it was a real cheapie, and I honestly think something a bit more playable and fun will get more usage out of me.
No shame! Coil-splitting is used to get a "single-coil" sound, like most Strats or Teles, out of a humbucking pickup, like most Gibsons have. It's a bit of a thinner sound -- I guess, think, like, Clapton/Robbie Robertson vs. Tony Iommi or someone like that.

Bumping my ol’ self due to a renewed search. My xmas shopping went way way under budget and I’m considering a guitar once more, bonus willing. Still torn between electric and acoustic; I’d say my budget is in the $500 range, though I’m willing to go higher for the right instrument and am not including an amp if electric’s the way I go.

I imagine I’ll need to just bite the bullet and go into a store, try some things out, to figure out what specific make/model I’d want, but I’m torn right down the line as to whether I’d want to go acoustic or electric; when I try to find more info and opinions, 99% of all content is pitched at beginning players.

Acoustic seems most basic, and it seems like I could find something budget-friendly which plays nice and then see if I want to bring another axe into the family, whereas electric feels like more of an investment (and more of a midlife crisis cry for help, heh heh). On the other hand, it’s been longer since I’ve played an electric guitar, there’d be more sounds to make, and I could play more straight-up rock.
This reply is going to be irrespective of your $500 budget (it's been a while since I've kept up on guitars in that price range) but maybe some future considerations.

1) Regarding ES-335's - I can't say anything pro/con about the Epiphone but I know the Gibson ES-335 have had some QC issues over the last few years (but I've heard have gotten better); sort of the running wisdom was that if you found you wanted one, then go demo it in store and buy that exact one if it plays well 'cause quality may not be uniform from one to the other. If you want a semi-hollowbody in the future (and in the Gibson price-range; this won't touch the Epiphone's lower price), take a serious look at Ibanez and Yamaha's line of semi's. My next guitar purchase is going to be an Yamaha SA2200 (after much consideration and demoing of ES-335s they left me unimpressed relative to Yamaha/Ibanez offerings) and to paraphrase a review I read of the SA2200 relative to the ES-335 I thought was fitting: if someone gifted me an ES-335, I'd sell it, buy an SA2200 and have money to spare.

*Note: full disclosure, I have a bias against Gibson, so take what I said above w/ that in mind. I had a 1971 Gibson SG growing up that I loved so I fully believe they can and do make great guitars. But I also believe there is a reason they went bankrupt. They're basically the Harley-Davidson of guitars. They've done little to adapt to changing times - making designs/colorways that appeal mainly to older, heritage players; not having price points that are inviting to beginner/casual players; missteps in quality control; not innovating; and not courting female guitar players (their rival Fender has done this much better).

2) Again, not in the 500 budget but future electric considerations....the new Fender American Professional II line. I actually posted about my interest in the Telecaster Deluxe version of the line a bit ago. I currently rock an American Elite Tele as my main guitar. I had an American Professional (I, I guess?) Deluxe Strat HSS a few years ago and it was good. Not as refined in some places (e.g. the neck) as the Elite (succeeded by the Fender Ultra line now), but still really good. When I get back to the States, the APII Tele Deluxe is going to be something I def go try - I hear Fender did a real good job balancing the coil split in the VMOD PUPs (i.e. no noticeable gain drop when splitting). Additionally, you find some of the old Fender Professional series for a steal used online. In fact, those you can probably very well get in your stated budget.

3) Acoustic: the Taylor 214(c)e DLX is a great bang for your buck guitar. Most Guitar Centers carry them and they just play so sweet. The neck is like butter. It's among the least expensive of Taylors and really is a joy to play.

4) If you go electric, some amps: If space is a consideration, I cannot recommend the Supro 1270RK (made in conjunction w/ Keeley Electronics) enough. It has a small form factor but a lot of bite. Good tube break-up and if you dive into some pedals, as suggested, it has an effects loop to throw in some of your delays, modulation effects, etc; while keeping any dynamic and gain-based effects up front.

Budget bang-for-buck: Any of the Peavey Classics. I've probably owned three or so Peavey Classic 30s in my life (and never because they crap out on me, just cause I move on but always end up coming back to them). They're still made new but super easy to find used. In fact, I've never owned a new one and never had a problem w/ a used one I've bought - they're workhorses. You can probably get one for $300 or less on CL or something. I currently have a Peavey Delta Blues - but it's in the same wheelhouse as the Classics; just has tremolo (which is admittedly shit since it causes a huge volume drop - although I hear new ones have fixed that issue) along w/ the standard reverb tank (which is lush on both the Classics and DB's); the main difference is the DB's come in either a 2x10" or 1x15" speaker. I got the 15" speaker set-up and the mid-range is fat (in fact, the only reason I got rid of my last Classic was to get the DB's w/ the 15" - just such an odd speaker config).

I haven’t tried it but Earthquaker makes some nice pedals. I have their Hummingbird and it’s dope.
Are you looking for an overdrive? Or curious about this one in particular?
I'm not looking for one really any time soon -- my electric and my amp are in another city right now and I have no idea when I'll be able to play them again -- but when this is all over, I think I'd like to try out some pedals. Even when I played electric all the time I never really had any apart from a wah, and even that I rarely used. Pedal world is very foreign to me but I'd like to dip my toes in eventually. From a few videos I've watched, this pedal sounds really cool and I'd like to try it at some point, at least. Good to know you like the one you have.

I'm not looking for one really any time soon -- my electric and my amp are in another city right now and I have no idea when I'll be able to play them again -- but when this is all over, I think I'd like to try out some pedals. Even when I played electric all the time I never really had any apart from a wah, and even that I rarely used. Pedal world is very foreign to me but I'd like to dip my toes in eventually. From a few videos I've watched, this pedal sounds really cool and I'd like to try it at some point, at least. Good to know you like the one you have.
I find Overdrive pedals to be a huge rabbit hole. I've tried so many "standards" and "boutique" pedals and what I ended up with on my board is a $50 Boss SD-1 and a $70 Rat.

I find Overdrive pedals to be a huge rabbit hole. I've tried so many "standards" and "boutique" pedals and what I ended up with on my board is a $50 Boss SD-1 and a $70 Rat.
Yeah, my brother had a DS-1 that I used a few times but mostly I used my amp's dirty channel. Would be interested to try a bunch out.

I think the big thing to think about with OD pedals is what you're looking for. Personally, I look for transparency - i.e. gain/boost without coloring the sound.

That looks like what the EQ Plumes is trying to do - in the vein of TS-808's and the revered Klon Centaur.

Too often, in conversation, people lump together OD and distortion; however, I want my distortion to add dirt - I do not want that w/ an OD.

Personally, pedals were a thing I went crazy with when I first started playing at 13. I was taken with modulation effects, distortion, etc. and sometimes that leads to, at least in my experience, paying too much attention to the sound you're achieving rather than the actual playing you're achieving (if that makes sense). I tend to actually play clean most of the time - partly out of laziness for hooking anything up, but mostly because I love the natural break-up of tube amps and I love a good clear tone. It also allows less wiggle room to hide sloppy playing and makes me concentrate on interesting melodies and playing, and building a solid foundation.

But if I do hook up pedals, it is usually only going to be a delay (shout out to Electro Harmonix [EHX] Canyon), ODs (EHX Soul Food and Ibanez TS-808HW), and a reverb (Keeley Omni Reverb - actually I tend to just like the spring reverb in my amps but I bought the Keeley simply b/c the plate reverb setting is stupid good). I've got a handful of other pedals (including dirt - really loving the EHX Op-Amp BIg Muff that came out), but they only make semi-regular appearances.

///

Going back to that EQ Plumes - it looks/sounds like they're going for that transparent OD a la maybe a Klon Centaur. Some of the Klon clones are really good (Wampler Tumnus is another that comes to mind). As noted above, I have the EHX Soul Food (w/ the JHS Mod that adds a mid-range boost dial and a switch w/ two extra voicings - that mod is totally worth it) that is, more or less, a Klon clone. It is great.

I'd also look at TS-808s and TS-9's or the myriad of clones (MXR's ain't nothing to sneeze at). I have the TS-808HW (hand-wired) but you don't have to spend that money to get the sound. I had a standard 808 for years and only dropped the money on the HW b/c I love 808s - but it was hardly necessary.

If you're ever looking for anything boutique or to do mods on your pedals, check out Analog Man aNaLoG.MaN Custom Guitar Effects Pedals
You'll pay boutique prices on some of those things, of course. I bought an Xotic Effects AC-Booster from them years ago that was a great pedal. I don't have it anymore, but still a good site to see some other options that your Guitar Centers or Sweetwaters won't key you into.

Today's the day; I'm headed into Old Town Music to try out some of their stock and see if anything calls out to me.

I have to be honest, I'm kinda nervous about the entire undertaking; while I've almost always had a guitar since high school, I've never been a very dedicated player. I donated my old acoustic 3-4 years back, and a year ago a friend was selling their old Martin. When I mentioned I was considering buying it, my wife said "but you didn't play the old one." And that's ringing in my head.

I'm trying to stay open minded, just see if anything I play calls out to me. But I'm worried picking an electric guitar will seem super corny, even though an acoustic isn't quite in line with the sounds I want to make.

Anyway, wish me luck! Hopefully the next post will be victorious.

Today's the day; I'm headed into Old Town Music to try out some of their stock and see if anything calls out to me.

I have to be honest, I'm kinda nervous about the entire undertaking; while I've almost always had a guitar since high school, I've never been a very dedicated player. I donated my old acoustic 3-4 years back, and a year ago a friend was selling their old Martin. When I mentioned I was considering buying it, my wife said "but you didn't play the old one." And that's ringing in my head.

I'm trying to stay open minded, just see if anything I play calls out to me. But I'm worried picking an electric guitar will seem super corny, even though an acoustic isn't quite in line with the sounds I want to make.

Anyway, wish me luck! Hopefully the next post will be victorious.
Corny? I’m not sure why or to whom.

Good luck. Don’t feel pressured to buy one. But also if you see something you really like don’t hesitate to ask them for a room to play in. If you’re serious about buying then they should have no problem accommodating you so you don’t have to compete with a teen blasting Smoke on the Water

Corny? I’m not sure why or to whom.

Good luck. Don’t feel pressured to buy one. But also if you see something you really like don’t hesitate to ask them for a room to play in. If you’re serious about buying then they should have no problem accommodating you so you don’t have to compete with a teen blasting Smoke on the Water
I'm a little nervous about the fact that I haven't played in ~5 years, and in earnest in ~10. I don't remember much, and feel way cheesy about going in, playing a tentative G and a C, and going "Hmmmmm...."

I'm a little nervous about the fact that I haven't played in ~5 years, and in earnest in ~10. I don't remember much, and feel way cheesy about going in, playing a G and a C, and going "Hmmmmm...."
You’ll do great man! You play that G and C like you’re the first person discovering them. And fuck it!

Another tip: don’t pass up good used gear.

Welp, here it is, after much hemming and hawing and help from the clerks: a used early Cort Les Paul. Of everything I tried out, it felt the nicest to play, and the tone was a delight. And the price was right; I came in way under budget, which makes me feel a lot better about the whole enterprise. Amp-wise I went with a simple Fender Champion 20. I need to get into practice and make sure I can stick with this before I sink a ton into fancier equipment.

IMG_7952.jpgIMG_7953.jpgIMG_7954.jpg

Time to brush up on some scales!

Back