Guitar Players Thread

Welp, here it is, after much hemming and hawing and help from the clerks: a used early Cort Les Paul. Of everything I tried out, it felt the nicest to play, and the tone was a delight. And the price was right; I came in way under budget, which makes me feel a lot better about the whole enterprise. Amp-wise I went with a simple Fender Champion 20. I need to get into practice and make sure I can stick with this before I sink a ton into fancier equipment.

View attachment 81930View attachment 81931View attachment 81932

Time to brush up on some scales!
That is gorgeous

T
Welp, here it is, after much hemming and hawing and help from the clerks: a used early Cort Les Paul. Of everything I tried out, it felt the nicest to play, and the tone was a delight. And the price was right; I came in way under budget, which makes me feel a lot better about the whole enterprise. Amp-wise I went with a simple Fender Champion 20. I need to get into practice and make sure I can stick with this before I sink a ton into fancier equipment.

View attachment 81930View attachment 81931View attachment 81932

That's a real beaut! What sort of amp situation are you in currently?

I'm going to throw this here....

The CAGED system is a very easy, rudimentary way to map out the guitar neck - at least w/ MAJOR scales. It is certainly not the only system, but it is easy to use and makes immediate sense.

As the named implies, it uses the familiar shapes of the C, A, G, E, and D open chords to unlock the rest of the neck.

I like the particular link I shared (I think I actually shared it in the past) because the writer also throws in corresponding scales to the chord shapes.

I'm going to throw this here....

The CAGED system is a very easy, rudimentary way to map out the guitar neck - at least w/ MAJOR scales. It is certainly not the only system, but it is easy to use and makes immediate sense.

As the named implies, it uses the familiar shapes of the C, A, G, E, and D open chords to unlock the rest of the neck.

I like the particular link I shared (I think I actually shared it in the past) because the writer also throws in corresponding scales to the chord shapes.
Thanks for this! I'm hoping to actually learn my way around the fretboard and actually play the guitar, rather than just aping tablature.

Thanks for this! I'm hoping to actually learn my way around the fretboard and actually play the guitar, rather than just aping tablature.
If I can be bold enough to offer another suggestion....

Obviously everyone will think of scales in the sense of soloing (especially the "blues scale"/pentatonic). But learning them is important for coming up with interesting melodies and playing with triads/dyads. Often triads/dyads are more powerful and expressive, IMO, than any chord because they allow you to weave together melodies into the complexities and full bodiness of chords.

So, I don't know how you thought of scales before; for me, when I first started playing it was all pentatonic. Then when I was 15 or so I was fortunate enough to have a teacher show me Classical modes (Ionian [Root], Dorian, Phyrgian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian [Natural Minor], and Locrian).

They totally open up any particular key and allow you to dance around the notes. I know I just named a bunch of Greek words, but once their relationship clicks it becomes clear (also forgive me if you are already familiar with any or all of this - if you are, I don't mean to patronize).

Understanding the relationship between a Major root and it Natural minor is an early step. Also developing an ear for where you hear your favorite artists using these modes:

Dorian - Santana used it a lot
Lydian - jazz - the augmented fourth is fundamental
Mixolyidan - a lot of your jam bands - gives a melodic yet bluesy sound (e.g. Grateful Dead, Allman Bros)
Locrian - the diminished fifth is like a strong spice; can be used delicately to create dissonance, tension, and to tease an unresolved melody (our ears are trained to hate that, but the threat of it can sound exciting); actually see Bjork's Army of Me for a rare modern song using it

TL;DR I guess what I'm saying is music theory is important

If I can be bold enough to offer another suggestion....

Obviously everyone will think of scales in the sense of soloing (especially the "blues scale"/pentatonic). But learning them is important for coming up with interesting melodies and playing with triads/dyads. Often triads/dyads are more powerful and expressive, IMO, than any chord because they allow you to weave together melodies into the complexities and full bodiness of chords.

So, I don't know how you thought of scales before; for me, when I first started playing it was all pentatonic. Then when I was 15 or so I was fortunate enough to have a teacher show me Classical modes (Ionian [Root], Dorian, Phyrgian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian [Natural Minor], and Locrian).

They totally open up any particular key and allow you to dance around the notes. I know I just named a bunch of Greek words, but once their relationship clicks it becomes clear (also forgive me if you are already familiar with any or all of this - if you are, I don't mean to patronize).

Understanding the relationship between a Major root and it Natural minor is an early step. Also developing an ear for where you hear your favorite artists using these modes:

Dorian - Santana used it a lot
Lydian - jazz - the augmented fourth is fundamental
Mixolyidan - a lot of your jam bands - gives a melodic yet bluesy sound (e.g. Grateful Dead, Allman Bros)
Locrian - the diminished fifth is like a strong spice; can be used delicately to create dissonance, tension, and to tease an unresolved melody (our ears are trained to hate that, but the threat of it can sound exciting); actually see Bjork's Army of Me for a rare modern song using it

TL;DR I guess what I'm saying is music theory is important
I appreciate this type of advice. At the start of the pandemic, I pulled out my dad's old acoustic and took Fender up on their 90 day Fender Play offer. That was good for a bit, I got some of the basics down and have since been focusing on mastering chords and chord changes. Still, without formal instruction, it's difficult at times where to go next and trying to play the same chord progressions over and over gets a bit boring.

Last week I signed up for an introductory session with an instructor, Tuesday at Noon. I've been anxious all weekend for it, all morning. I get all my gear set up by my work station at home, open the zoom link for the session...
...I scheduled myself for next Tuesday. So dang deflated. Guess it's back to ten-minute free sessions on Yousician, doing the two scales I know now, and fumbling through Powderfinger for another seven days.

Last week I signed up for an introductory session with an instructor, Tuesday at Noon. I've been anxious all weekend for it, all morning. I get all my gear set up by my work station at home, open the zoom link for the session...
...I scheduled myself for next Tuesday. So dang deflated. Guess it's back to ten-minute free sessions on Yousician, doing the two scales I know now, and fumbling through Powderfinger for another seven days.
Hey, that's an extra week to get prepared! Besides, if the instructor is any good, there shouldn't be any reason to be anxious about it.

Not sure where the anxiety comes from; I think it's partially a misplaced fear of judgement, but even moreso my being unsure what makes for a good instructor.
Totally understand that. I took lessons for just a month or two when I was 15 or so and my teacher was chill and easy to talk to. No judgment at all. (I think that's gotta be the top requirement for being a good teacher! That's the point of lessons.) When he left I wasn't interested in meeting anyone else so I quit, which I always wonder if it was a dumb decision or not.

I combed through the thread for y'all's previous thoughts, but I'd love to talk pedals. I'm not in an incredible rush to get any yet (especially as it seems like a pringles once-you-pop type of situation) and am just saving up until summer/birthday time. Still, I've been on youtube and such (the local store I bought my guitar from also has a huge used pedal selection), learning basics, building a wishlist, getting excited by the idea of tinkering with tone, and would love to hear what the hive thinks.

Are there any types of or specific pedals you find essential?
Any you consider just-plain fun?
Starting out, is there one type a person should get (I know there are pedals that improve sustain or help bring out more subtle notes, or should I just get that fun echo/delay pedal I keep drooling over)?
Any makers/companies you prefer to support?
Any common pitfalls or beginner errors (beyond tinkering with sounds and forgetting to play/practice)?

Would love to hear what y'all think!

I wasn't really a pedal person when I played electric, but once I'm reunited with my electric I'd like to grab a couple and experiment. I bought a Zakk Wylde Crybaby wah for some reason but I didn't really learn to use it that well. That was my only pedal. I'll say, though, I've been watching a lot of pedal demos on YouTube (a guy on the Reverb channel does great ones, as well as the "First Impressions" series from Earthquaker Devices, the JHS Pedals channel, and a few others) and they've been really interesting.

I combed through the thread for y'all's previous thoughts, but I'd love to talk pedals. I'm not in an incredible rush to get any yet (especially as it seems like a pringles once-you-pop type of situation) and am just saving up until summer/birthday time. Still, I've been on youtube and such (the local store I bought my guitar from also has a huge used pedal selection), learning basics, building a wishlist, getting excited by the idea of tinkering with tone, and would love to hear what the hive thinks.

Are there any types of or specific pedals you find essential?
Any you consider just-plain fun?
Starting out, is there one type a person should get (I know there are pedals that improve sustain or help bring out more subtle notes, or should I just get that fun echo/delay pedal I keep drooling over)?
Any makers/companies you prefer to support?
Any common pitfalls or beginner errors (beyond tinkering with sounds and forgetting to play/practice)?

Would love to hear what y'all think!
I'm an overdrive, delay, reverb guy. You'll be surprised how far you can get in the weeds on overdrive pedals. I tried so many boutique pedals and what no before finally settling in a $50 Boss SD-1.

I wasn't really a pedal person when I played electric, but once I'm reunited with my electric I'd like to grab a couple and experiment. I bought a Zakk Wylde Crybaby wah for some reason but I didn't really learn to use it that well. That was my only pedal. I'll say, though, I've been watching a lot of pedal demos on YouTube (a guy on the Reverb channel does great ones, as well as the "First Impressions" series from Earthquaker Devices, the JHS Pedals channel, and a few others) and they've been really interesting.
A wah like that seems like it needs a bit more coordination and deliberation for sure. I've watched a few of those Reverb channel videos; there was one where the guy was showing three pedals to recreate Neil Young's Crazy Horse tones which I really enjoyed:

I'm an overdrive, delay, reverb guy. You'll be surprised how far you can get in the weeds on overdrive pedals. I tried so many boutique pedals and what no before finally settling in a $50 Boss SD-1.
That definitely seems like a good, budget-friendly start. $50 for some overdrive (and Boss, while not flashy, seems like a go-to) seems like a great deal.

A wah like that seems like it needs a bit more coordination and deliberation for sure. I've watched a few of those Reverb channel videos; there was one where the guy was showing three pedals to recreate Neil Young's Crazy Horse tones which I really enjoyed:

That definitely seems like a good, budget-friendly start. $50 for some overdrive (and Boss, while not flashy, seems like a go-to) seems like a great deal.

Yeah, that's the guy. That's a cool video and he's a really great player. I'm sometimes amazed at the stuff he plays without a pick.

You'll find an SD-1 on a ton of pro boards too.

DA1ED314-9255-4C59-8EB5-A0F58224D55E.jpeg
Two signs of the same coin ;).
Got all my bases covered, for the most part. I would love a single P90 pickup guitar. I picked this SG up locally for $675. Felt like a good enough deal. Its definitely been played, there are a few marks and dings, but it sounds great. Its so fun playing with more distorted tones, something I don’t do a lot with my Strat.

View attachment 86893
Two signs of the same coin ;).
Got all my bases covered, for the most part. I would love a single P90 pickup guitar. I picked this SG up locally for $675. Felt like a good enough deal. Its definitely been played, there are a few marks and dings, but it sounds great. Its so fun playing with more distorted tones, something I don’t do a lot with my Strat.
Man, that SG is gorgeous. Love the full-size pickguards on SGs.

Back