Guitar Players Thread

I'm jamming with a couple of guys this Friday, including my old guitarist partner, and I am so damn excited. This past weekend at my parents' for Father's Day I dug out my old Epi Les Paul and a couple amps for us to use. Strings were rusty as hell but once I get it cleaned and restrung I'll add a photo here. Gonna be so fun.

I picked up my Mandolin again the other day. It's been a while, but I love playing that thing. I just need to practice more.
I can play G, C, D and the riff to Losing My Religion on mandolin. I was actually trying to figure out a song for church on it a couple weeks ago but it was too many minor and minor 7th chords.

I don’t play, but my boys do. Ryan is 9, Tyler is 13, and is left handed. Ryan has the Ibanez and the Epiphone, Tyler has the Jackson V and the Explorer. The V is a right handed guitar that we got restrung lefty, but the whammy and knobs are on top. The Explorer is a left handed guitar, but finding a case is tough.

74D0B7B0-9846-49DD-B5C7-9578A5D0E42C.jpeg

I don’t play, but my boys do. Ryan is 9, Tyler is 13, and is left handed. Ryan has the Ibanez and the Epiphone, Tyler has the Jackson V and the Explorer. The V is a right handed guitar that we got restrung lefty, but the whammy and knobs are on top. The Explorer is a left handed guitar, but finding a case is tough.

View attachment 7542
How awesome! Would be so much fun being a kid in your family!

How awesome! Would be so much fun being a kid in your family!
Thanks so much. As you can see, we’re huge music fans, which has considerably rubbed off onto the kids. They wanted guitars, so we started with acoustic, to make sure they were serious. And they obviously were!

Here is my rig. Without getting too sappy, my best friend and band mate died last year so I haven’t played in a while. I recently picked it up again a few months ago and it’s been very therapeutic. Naturally I am in the middle of reworking my pedal board because I’m broke, so there is no better time to do it!

Martin D-28, Mustang Pawn Shop special, 70s-ish princeton sans reverb.

Pedal board right now is a poly tune, a morning glory, empress vmsd, strymon brigadier, walrus audio decent. 7580

Does anyone have a recommendation for someone looking to get back into playing? I've always had a guitar around since high school, when moms got me a Fender Squire. In college I pawned it, then bought myself a crummy acoustic, which wasn't ever much fun to play. I'd noodle occasionally, but not seriously or often enough.

I recently realized I'd play more if I had a guitar I liked, finally sent the acoustic to Goodwill, and have been mulling over acoustic/electric options. My friend had a Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 he brought on a picnic which was fun to play, but I was curious if anyone could suggest anything they'd consider "fun."

Does anyone have a recommendation for someone looking to get back into playing? I've always had a guitar around since high school, when moms got me a Fender Squire. In college I pawned it, then bought myself a crummy acoustic, which wasn't ever much fun to play. I'd noodle occasionally, but not seriously or often enough.

I recently realized I'd play more if I had a guitar I liked, finally sent the acoustic to Goodwill, and have been mulling over acoustic/electric options. My friend had a Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 he brought on a picnic which was fun to play, but I was curious if anyone could suggest anything they'd consider "fun."
Depends what you consider fun! Would you mostly be playing solo or with friends? What kind of music do you like to play/want to play? When I lived overseas a few years ago I bought a 3/4-size Cort acoustic for a few hundred that I absolutely loved playing.

Here is my rig. Without getting too sappy, my best friend and band mate died last year so I haven’t played in a while. I recently picked it up again a few months ago and it’s been very therapeutic. Naturally I am in the middle of reworking my pedal board because I’m broke, so there is no better time to do it!

Martin D-28, Mustang Pawn Shop special, 70s-ish princeton sans reverb.

Pedal board right now is a poly tune, a morning glory, empress vmsd, strymon brigadier, walrus audio decent. View attachment 7580

View attachment 7581

View attachment 7582
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. That's awful. Your rig looks great, though! I've only ever had a wah pedal and since I rarely play electric anymore I have no reason to get anything, but would love to experiment with stuff.

Depends what you consider fun! Would you mostly be playing solo or with friends? What kind of music do you like to play/want to play? When I lived overseas a few years ago I bought a 3/4-size Cort acoustic for a few hundred that I absolutely loved playing.

Odds are I'd be playing solo most of the time. As for what I want/like to play, those are two different things. I mostly would wrap my head around Modest Mouse and White Stripes songs, but recently I've been wanting to play some Neil Young; you know, make some real fuzzy sounds. I guess in an ideal world I'd get myself a new acoustic or electric (one or the other), get back into playing, and justify getting the other. I guess an acoustic would be cheaper and more portable at this point.

Odds are I'd be playing solo most of the time. As for what I want/like to play, those are two different things. I mostly would wrap my head around Modest Mouse and White Stripes songs, but recently I've been wanting to play some Neil Young; you know, make some real fuzzy sounds. I guess in an ideal world I'd get myself a new acoustic or electric (one or the other), get back into playing, and justify getting the other. I guess an acoustic would be cheaper and more portable at this point.
I'm not really a gear head, so I won't be much help. Do you know what your budget would be? My best advice would be just to browse at your local music stores and play everything within your price range that looks cool to you. People always recommend starting on acoustic first, and then getting an electric later if you really like it, which I've never understood or agreed with.

Check out OfferUp or CL. Honestly musical equipment can be like exercise gear - people buy s best of intentions but don’t use.

I’d recommend finding a Mexican made Fender. Doesn’t break the bank. Or if you can find one of the Yamaha Pacificas from early 2000s those play nice. Fuzz - I got a EHX Op Amp Big Muff recently that’s promoted with Billy Corgan for that Pumpkins Siamese Dream-era sound. But it dials in a lot of the great muff sounds (keeping in mind muff and fuzz aren’t the same but often lumped together). Affordable amp - I love Peavey tube amps. Can find a used 30w sub 500.

Also if you want an OD that IMO splits the diff between fuzz and muff - Wampler Velvet Fuzz. I have one. Don’t use it much but it’s more civil than most fuzz/muffs.

Had an absolute blast this weekend plugging in with an old friend and a new drummer friend. Ran through some old originals, a bunch of covers we've played a million times, and just generally fucked around. Hopefully doing it again very soon.

This is my rig. Epiphone Les Paul with a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge (not sure what the neck is, as I bought it second-hand from a shop) and push/pull pots, through a tube Traynor YCV50 (classic Canadian company, not sure if they're distributed in the States at all). Not pictured is my Zakk Wylde Crybaby wah. I love it all.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190623175033015.jpg

A tube Traynor YCV50 (classic Canadian company, not sure if they're distributed in the States at all).

I honestly cannot answer that either.
I CAN say that I use this exact same amp in my live rig. I bought it second-hand from another guitar player here in Connecticut. Don't have much use for the distortion channels, but I love pushing the clean channel!
Thinking of swapping one of the two speakers for more of a VOX sound (particularly for mic-ing).

Just a reminder that this thread exists! Any more gear pics?

I've been re arranging my pedalboard and actually taking pedals off :eek:

Picked up a Tubescreamer TS808HW today. With a 20% GC promo + selling my TS808 RI on eBay for 80 it cost me about as much as buying a standard TS808. Really like it. I tend to play clean but have always liked TS808s when I dirty it up a bit. The HW just adds a lil more of the midrange warmth I like.

Side note: anyone got any experience with Supro amps? Looking at a Supro 1970RK 25W 1x10 collab they did w Keeley electronics. Doesn’t have reverb but Keeley makes an Omni reverb that would bring that into the effects loop nicely. Plus a Master vol to dial in headroom. Was looking at a Fender 68 Custom Princeton but I’m cooling a little on Fender amps and I can only find positive things about these Supros.

Back