Guitar Players Thread

View attachment 86893
Two signs of the same coin ;).
Got all my bases covered, for the most part. I would love a single P90 pickup guitar. I picked this SG up locally for $675. Felt like a good enough deal. Its definitely been played, there are a few marks and dings, but it sounds great. Its so fun playing with more distorted tones, something I don’t do a lot with my Strat.
Used guitars are great finds. Especially when you’re talking nicer guitars - owners probably took good care of them.
Great grab!

Anyone have any experience with either the Wampler Ego Compressor or the Earthquaker The Warden?

I have read others' impressions/opinions on the two and will eventually either in-store demo each or get from a place with an easy 30-day return policy (or whatever); but figure I'll ask here.

I have a Wamper (Velvet Fuzz) and EQD (Hummingbird tremolo), so I'm familiar with their quality (which I consider good). They both have good reviews. Interested to see if anyone has tried both.

Hey guitar players; it's been a while!

I've been taking lessons for 2 months now. My growth is undeniable; I definitely sound better, and I feel more confident with my instrument. But how do you know your instructor is any good? Or how do you make sure you're getting the best out of them?

My instructor sometimes seems a little scattered, a little less invested. Like I'll use a technique he taught me last week, and he'll say "wow, you figured that out yourself?" Or he'll instruct one scale on a chart this week, and next week he'll just say "learn all the rest," and the week after he'll be back to the first scale. The school he works out of (a small, two-person outfit) has an online portal where he's supposed to write notes on what to practice in a given week, and he fills it out 50% of the time. I'm supposed to log my practice, and I don't think he reads it. Sometimes it feels less like he's mentoring me and more like he has a study plan he applies to everyone and is just sending me along that path.

Sometimes I wonder if I should shop around for someone a little more focused, and sometimes I figure it's just hard to keep track of several (possibly dozens of) students. Do I just need to have a "stop: hammer time" moment to check in with him re: my growth and goals? Or should I be shopping around for someone new?

Hey guitar players; it's been a while!

I've been taking lessons for 2 months now. My growth is undeniable; I definitely sound better, and I feel more confident with my instrument. But how do you know your instructor is any good? Or how do you make sure you're getting the best out of them?

My instructor sometimes seems a little scattered, a little less invested. Like I'll use a technique he taught me last week, and he'll say "wow, you figured that out yourself?" Or he'll instruct one scale on a chart this week, and next week he'll just say "learn all the rest," and the week after he'll be back to the first scale. The school he works out of (a small, two-person outfit) has an online portal where he's supposed to write notes on what to practice in a given week, and he fills it out 50% of the time. I'm supposed to log my practice, and I don't think he reads it. Sometimes it feels less like he's mentoring me and more like he has a study plan he applies to everyone and is just sending me along that path.

Sometimes I wonder if I should shop around for someone a little more focused, and sometimes I figure it's just hard to keep track of several (possibly dozens of) students. Do I just need to have a "stop: hammer time" moment to check in with him re: my growth and goals? Or should I be shopping around for someone new?
It seems to me that you already know you need a new instructor -- not that this one is necessarily bad, but certainly is not meeting your needs as diligently as you expect or need. I would say that if you have other instructors available to you, to maybe reach out to them for a lesson or two and see how you fare with them.

It seems to me that you already know you need a new instructor -- not that this one is necessarily bad, but certainly is not meeting your needs as diligently as you expect or need. I would say that if you have other instructors available to you, to maybe reach out to them for a lesson or two and see how you fare with them.
Yeah; they charge through the month, so I guess this is the last one. Feels like trying to find a therapist. Last summer I was in the same spot re: finding a shrink; I wasn't thrilled with the one I was seeing but was nervous about taking the plunge back into searching for one, and going for a time without one. I guess I could look at it this way: if it takes more than a month I'll put that cash towards a pedal. :devilish:

New (first) pedal day! After drooling over YouTube demos and building a hefty wishlist, I decided to get the EHX Big Muff Pi Russian green reissue and feel out the in-store options for a reverb, since I felt weird just getting one single effect.

I actually tested out the EHX Holy Grail and Holy Grail Neo, but this used The Void really piqued my interest, and the price was right.

I've only played around with them half an hour so far and it’s a lot of fun. Combined with my amp’s presets I can get some really slushy sounds going.

1B8A9684-7421-46B5-87AF-F09734DEE7EA.jpeg

as an aside, should you ever wind up with an extra amp lying around and an effect with stereo outs (or an A/B splitter box, where you can turn both A and B outputs on) : send one output to one amp clean and one output to the other amp with effects (e.g. distortion). You wind up with a sound that's both clear and fuzzy distorted. (this is usually done with bass, because distortion kills bass frequencies really hard. to hear this in use, check out live rage against the machine recordings, tim c does it a lot)

as an aside, should you ever wind up with an extra amp lying around and an effect with stereo outs (or an A/B splitter box, where you can turn both A and B outputs on) : send one output to one amp clean and one output to the other amp with effects (e.g. distortion). You wind up with a sound that's both clear and fuzzy distorted. (this is usually done with bass, because distortion kills bass frequencies really hard. to hear this in use, check out live rage against the machine recordings, tim c does it a lot)
The only problem using stereo/dual outs of a pedal in that scenario is you would have to put it in front of any other effects. Now if you didn't actually want to use that effect (the Boss DD series delay pedals are a prime example and when you do dual outputs you can create a nice ping pong when the effect is on) then this would be a fine set up.

The problem you'd run into is if you were actually to use the effect. So take a delay for example - you're now going to have it in front of distortions, mods, compressors, whatever else you're using on the "wet" amp (technically what we're describing here is NOT dry/wet setup but so many use this term to describe this setup). And no choice but to also have it going to what you wanted as your clean mix.

A dedicated A/B/Y switch is the ideal for this set up. You can get them passive and active. OBNE just released the split|meld pedal which is like $50 or something like that. Or you can spend 200+ and start getting active w true bypass, ground switches, and polarity switches.

correct, you sacrifice the use of the pedal's primary function (delay, chorus, whatever) to use it's stereo outs. a/b is much preferred for this setup.

Got this incoming:

Yamaha SA2200

I actually bought one in September 2019 and it kept being put on backorder. Finally, the update shipping was after I was leaving for a year of work overseas.

Now, it is in stock and ready to go. Can't wait.

37081_Yamaha_SA2200_Brown_Sunburst_012E_IQH040E_2_4000x.progressive.jpg

Also, cause people were talking about pedals the other day, I grabbed an Old Blood Noise Endeavors (OBNE) Dark Star Reverb the other day. Really neat pedal.

If you're looking for an always-on 'verb or something to add some subtle, tasteful reverb flavor, look elsewhere. This has 3 settings (none of the them plain reverb): pitch, delay, bit crusher. They are ambient, atmosphere beasts.
Dark+Star+-+Face(Temp+Knobs).jpg

Sorry for the stock photos but I've yet to get the Yamaha and I'm too lazy to take a pic of the OBNE

Back