Grado Cartridges and Stylus - Questions and Advice.

so we either have the actual rich grado on this forum

or we have another halo2 trying to do a young thug AMA

I'll help where I can but don't expect me to share any secrets...
Firstly, welcome @RichGrado and thanks for subjecting yourself to an online forum. We're pretty friendly and reasonable around here, so hopefully you dont find it too painful.

I do have a question about the new 3 series, if that's the right term. From your personal/Grado HQ's perspective, what do you expect folks who are familiar with the series 2 sound or capabilities, to find different (and presumably improved upon) by the 3 series?

Lastly, and only if you dont mind sharing, what does your stereo setup consist of?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm going to give a bunch of responses in one post...

There are production differences in the chassis between the series. We don't like telling you what you will hear but by improving the coil isolation we feel the v3 cartridge will improve the detail and clarity you achieve. Of course everything around the cartridge is going to play into your results and the difference you hear, your components, speakers/headphones, and vinyl all play a critical role.

I have just started putting together a 2 channel system in my home, I have the listening room in our offices available to me, and my time and space is somewhat limited at home. I currently have a Schiit Ragnarok2 amp with a Schiit phono stage, using a PE turntable, a Cambridge streamer, B&W bookshelf speakers with a B&W subwoofer, and a Grado Reference2 cartridge. I know I need to update my cartridge... :p

thanks for the response @RichGrado... i mostly wondered because my uturn came with a black1 and i wonder if i should upgrade to say a red3 or a gold3 or whatever or just stick with a black3 (especially since i plan to switch to an 8Mz stylus and if there is an improvement the red should be a good upgrade for a 350 dollar turntable like the orbit)... i LOVE the heavy bass on your cartridges... works best for what i listen to

Last edited:
thanks for the response @RichGrado... i mostly wondered because my uturn came with a black1 and i wonder if i should upgrade to say a red3 or a gold3 or whatever or just stick with a black3 (especially since i plan to switch to an 8Mz stylus and if there is an improvement the red should be a good upgrade for a 350 dollar turntable like the orbit)... i LOVE the heavy bass on your cartridges... works best for what i listen to
That’s something you need to answer. Sounds like your Black1 is working fine, so you don’t “need” to upgrade. If you “want” to upgrade that is a whole different story. The Red3 will definitely perform better than the Black1

Hey @RichGrado great to see you on our little corner of the internet. I have a couple of questions for ya if that’s ok. I’m currently running a Gold 2, which I love, and I have an 8mz stylus on the way to improve it. I’m just wondering if there is any possibility of a more advanced stylus profile ever being made available to upgrade the Prestige cartridges? Also, are there plans for a prestige cartridge with a captive thread? Attaching them nuts is a right pain in the arse lol!

Hey @RichGrado great to see you on our little corner of the internet. I have a couple of questions for ya if that’s ok. I’m currently running a Gold 2, which I love, and I have an 8mz stylus on the way to improve it. I’m just wondering if there is any possibility of a more advanced stylus profile ever being made available to upgrade the Prestige cartridges? Also, are there plans for a prestige cartridge with a captive thread? Attaching them nuts is a right pain in the arse lol!
Sorry but I can’t respond on what we’re working on or what’s coming in the future, partly because we always have a bunch of things being considered, but we never know what will pan out.

“...Right pain in the arse...” :ROFLMAO:

Did you ever notice how a Brit and and American can convey the same idea but Brits always sound more refined?

upgrade to 8MZ stylus or upgrade to a red or gold... tough choice
The captive thread would be a great update. I just performed surgery putting a Gold 3 on a Pioneer PLX-1000.
I’m not kidding when I say I used blue painter’s tape to hold the nuts in place. Then I used my finger to hold the nut/tape combo up to the hole until the screw grabbed the threads.
ok yeah that makes it seem almost impossible to change a cartridge i might have to go with the stylus unless there is a pretty significant improvement

The captive thread would be a great update. I just performed surgery putting a Gold 3 on a Pioneer PLX-1000.

I’m not kidding when I say I used blue painter’s tape to hold the nuts in place. Then I used my finger to hold the nut/tape combo up to the hole until the screw grabbed the threads.

Don’t you complain @Ethos99 you have a removable headshell, you just need to put the screw through it upside down! 😂😂😂

I had to perform surgery using a pair of pliers and my appalling eyesight! And then the nut I had was too big to fit in the gap between the screw and the cartridge so I went lazy and mounted the screws upside down, ugly, but effective 😂😂😂

Back