Gotta warp, these members can help. [Vinyl Flat]

Good call @Lee Newman, I forgot that @mcherry used washers with this one. This is the best clamp I've heard of (mainly from all the people here) so yeah that would be the way to go, just make sure your TT spindle is long enough for the Mitchell to work. I believe some TTs can't use it due to that.
Yeah, regas have a special version, but I think they made the spindle shorter to prevent that from being used too? Also, if your spindle is composite (like my u-turn) it is not recommended to be used. You create a lot of torque applying the clamp, I could see someone applying too much and snapping their spindle (but that would be quite the effort), I do believe it has caused a mild bit of degradation of my spindle overtime, but with careful use, I've not destroyed my turntable.

Good call @Lee Newman, I forgot that @mcherry used washers with this one. This is the best clamp I've heard of (mainly from all the people here) so yeah that would be the way to go, just make sure your TT spindle is long enough for the Mitchell to work. I believe some TTs can't use it due to that.

@DownIsTheNewUp a michell clamp emulates what @Mather is talking about. It's not quite as effective as there is more sustained tension in @Mather's set up. I find it to be effective on some edge warps, not all. Only the most egregious bowl warps are not corrected with it. It also has a felt washer that you place under the record. I think @mcherry made different sized washers for different warps?

Much appreciated guys. I'll do some research on weather its compatible with the Technics.

Do you happen to have a link to the felt washers you mention?

Much appreciated guys. I'll do some research on weather its compatible with the Technics.

Do you happen to have a link to the felt washers you mention?
I literally just went to an arts and crafts store and bought black felt. Then cut a few circles out of it and made a spindle hole in the middle. The idea is just to get the clamp to push the record down over the felt which then flattens the record. A portion of the record will now be sitting higher due to the felt underneath but the ring is very small, like less than 2 inches in diameter (for the ones I made) so it's only the label that sits up, the grooves are being pressed to the platter by the clamp. I also created a large washer to go on top between the clamp and the label just to protect the label from any damage due to the clamp pressing down on it. But that's probably less of an issue when using a standard clamp vs my screw down one that can get some serious torque and will put rings on the labels if I'm not careful.

@DownIsTheNewUp a michell clamp emulates what @Mather is talking about. It's not quite as effective as there is more sustained tension in @Mather's set up. I find it to be effective on some edge warps, not all. Only the most egregious bowl warps are not corrected with it. It also has a felt washer that you place under the record. I think @mcherry made different sized washers for different warps?

Since @DownIsTheNewUp has a Technics, this may be relevant. Not sure how his TT spindle compares to the 1210 though. Anyway, I have one and it does work on my Technics 1210. The spindle is a little short on my TT, but there's enough there for the clamp to take hold with the felt washer in place. It does come with the felt washer. I suppose it may depend on how thick of a mat you use. That being said, I pretty much never use it.

vinyl flattener device owners, advice please:

I recently picked up a newbury edition of Bill Evans' "sunday at the village vanguard", but when it arrived on my doorstep, it's a rollercoaster. DNAP on side B, but side A....well, see for yourself. Skips quite a few times on the lead-in. Is this fixable with a flat or is it too severe? Normally I'd just return it, but it's going to be a hassle and aside from this one particular spot on track A1, it sounds quite nice. If fixable, can I trouble someone to help with it?

I recently picked up a newbury edition of Bill Evans' "sunday at the village vanguard", but when it arrived on my doorstep, it's a rollercoaster. DNAP on side B, but side A....well, see for yourself. Skips quite a few times on the lead-in. Is this fixable with a flat or is it too severe? Normally I'd just return it, but it's going to be a hassle and aside from this one particular spot on track A1, it sounds quite nice. If fixable, can I trouble someone to help with it?
Seems fixable, but I would not be surprised if the spot that currently skips ends up as a little 'whoosh' noise after flattening. I've noticed that if an edge warp is bad enough to throw the needle, it usually can't be made perfect again. But you never know!

Send it my way and I'm happy to do what I can.

Yes, I felt the included washer was way too thick in most instances. And I cut out my own thinner felt washers that I could layer up depending on how bad the warp was

I originally sent this directly to @yukbon but I figured it was worth posting here just as, I dunno, a proof point:

This is the Bill Evans record after three cooks.

The first was 90 minutes, going in cold.
(no video taken, but the change was pretty minor).

The second was 115 minutes, going in cold.

The third was 110 minutes, going in cold.

Pretty happy with the result. It's not pancake flat, but it's extremely trackable, and when it comes to transparent vinyl it's always a bit of a guessing game. No artifacts that I could hear!

Help! Cake - Fashion Nugget red, I am calling this variant the “Ripple Red” version. The Cake store was kind enough to give me a partial refund but I would love to get it fixed if one of you kind souls can help. Preferably not the hair dryer method above.

I’ve got an edge warp on a Hotelier record that I am past the point of returning. Wouldn’t even play on my Technics which can be generous with warps (the stylus bumped off). Would love to get it playable.

I’m in Virginia, is there anyone who can help?

Back