Gotta warp, these members can help. [Vinyl Flat]

I’ve got an edge warp on a Hotelier record that I am past the point of returning. Wouldn’t even play on my Technics which can be generous with warps (the stylus bumped off). Would love to get it playable.

I’m in Virginia, is there anyone who can help?
I’m in VA. Fair warning though, edge warps that severe often won’t come out without audible artifacts afterward.

If anyone can navigate me to some tips that have been posted here or elsewhere please help this noob. My first few attempts haven’t worked out on a dished record. I did once at 1.5 hours and then again for 2. I’ve left it on low since 130-140 is the recommended by VF temp and low got me to 130. Medium kicks it up to like 158ish.
I put it back in on low for 3 hours although I had an unexpected trip to the vet so it’s probably going to be a bit longer than 3 hours. Maybe a longer cook time is all it needs?

If anyone can navigate me to some tips that have been posted here or elsewhere please help this noob. My first few attempts haven’t worked out on a dished record. I did once at 1.5 hours and then again for 2. I’ve left it on low since 130-140 is the recommended by VF temp and low got me to 130. Medium kicks it up to like 158ish.
I put it back in on low for 3 hours although I had an unexpected trip to the vet so it’s probably going to be a bit longer than 3 hours. Maybe a longer cook time is all it needs?
No difference at all, or just not totally flattened out?

Longer cook time should not hurt anything.

Question for those of you that have purchased this recently: Does anyone have the updated instructions? I purchased mine in 2018 and I understand that there are new instructions. I emailed the company and have not heard back. I've read a lot of threads both on here and at Hoffman and I've had mixed results, unfortunately. Perhaps the new instructions offer more specifics so I can avoid ruining records (especially my wife's Jesus and Mary Chain record - RIP). If anyone could share them, I would be most grateful.

A warp question (but not for Vinyl Flat) - I've got a couple of records with bad bowl warps that I want to try to flatten myself under a box of records. Would anyone recommend doing it with the label on top eg n shaped, or with the edges up eg u shaped? Just wondering if there's a better way round of doing it...

A warp question (but not for Vinyl Flat) - I've got a couple of records with bad bowl warps that I want to try to flatten myself under a box of records. Would anyone recommend doing it with the label on top eg n shaped, or with the edges up eg u shaped? Just wondering if there's a better way round of doing it...
my intuition tells me N shaped, though I’d have to ponder a while to tell you why.

I'm not sure if there's an actual scientific "better way", but I tend to put them edges up, U shaped in the VF.

I'm not sure if there's an actual scientific "better way", but I tend to put them edges up, U shaped in the VF.
I think if you know both your surfaces are quite flat it probably doesn’t matter, but something about pushing down on the center and allowing the edges to naturally flatten feels better to me.

Question about this record:
I have listened to it, and it sounds ok.

Just wondering wheter the suspension will wear out faster if i keep playing it?
Or is the cantilever suspension doing what it was designed to do, keeping the cantilever in the grooves?

Question about this record:
I have listened to it, and it sounds ok.

Just wondering wheter the suspension will wear out faster if i keep playing it?
Or is the cantilever suspension doing what it was designed to do, keeping the cantilever in the grooves?
It’s doing its job. The cartridge was built for worse.

You’re going to wear yourself out doing this long before the cantilever goes.

Has anyone here actually tried the newish recordpi yet? Record Pi - The Smart Vinyl Record Flattener with Temperature Control

I'm about to go deep on cleaning a good 700-1000 of my dads records over the next couple of years here and there when I have a chance and i'd like to finally have a record flattener to take care of anything I come across along the way including a few of my own. Record Pi after a quick glance seems like a slightly more advanced and precise version of the vinyl flat? They're close to the same price as well so just looking for any opinions since it's hard to trust anything I read on social media especially.

Has anyone here actually tried the newish recordpi yet? Record Pi - The Smart Vinyl Record Flattener with Temperature Control

I'm about to go deep on cleaning a good 700-1000 of my dads records over the next couple of years here and there when I have a chance and i'd like to finally have a record flattener to take care of anything I come across along the way including a few of my own. Record Pi after a quick glance seems like a slightly more advanced and precise version of the vinyl flat? They're close to the same price as well so just looking for any opinions since it's hard to trust anything I read on social media especially.
I think this is the one I’d try. I see no design concerns vs the VinylFlat and the temperature controller is a huge plus.

edit: Also, I'm pretty sure my existing Vinyl Flat would fit into this pouch. It's tempting to buy the whole kit just as a replacement for the Groovy Pouch, which is effective but kind of a blunt tool.

edit 2: I did a thing

Last edited:
I think this is the one I’d try. I see no design concerns vs the VinylFlat and the temperature controller is a huge plus.

edit: Also, I'm pretty sure my existing Vinyl Flat would fit into this pouch. It's tempting to buy the whole kit just as a replacement for the Groovy Pouch, which is effective but kind of a blunt tool.

edit 2: I did a thing

That's pretty much what I was thinking as well.. The temperature tool seems like a clear improvement and even the phone app will likely come in handy to help me keep track and turn it off if necessary since i'm not home all the time.

haha you got one? I didn't plan on buying one until probably around Spring so let me know how it goes! Pretty sure i'm getting one regardless but an extra lilll confirmation boost wouldn't hurt! :whistle:

Back