Gotta warp, these members can help. [Vinyl Flat]

I believe it was described that pvc becomes brittle at certain temps.
Main reason the US temp cutoffs are built-in on units like Degritter.
I'm sure these vinyl flat guts have researched it, but I like that you can be precise with temp control on the Pi.
Operating temperature for PVC in other applications is 140 degrees max. But that's operating temperature.

I think ~130-135 is a rule of thumb only because it relaxes the vinyl just enough to allow it to be coaxed flat. Even at those temperatures it can take several hours to flatten a record, so I'm not convinced that, in most cases, it's hot enough to be damaging to the groove.

How often do warps come back on wax you've flattened? And / or what approaches can be taken to prevent this?

I've adjusted my cooks to medium heat and have been leaving the wax in for at least 48 hours, and it's been working quite well. But I've also noticed that some of my older bakes appear to have re-warped a bit. Which is odd since they weren't records I purchased warped and instead were damaged by an LA heatwave in 2018.

Cheers.

Last edited:
How often do warps come back on wax you've flattened? And / or what approaches can be taken to prevent this?

I've adjusted my cooks to medium heat and have been leaving the wax in for at least 48 hours, and it's been working quite well. But I've also noticed that some of my older bakes appear to have re-warped a bit. Which is odd since they weren't records I purchased warped and instead were damaged by an LA heatwave in 2018.

Cheers.
If you're letting them cool down long enough I would just chalk it up to crappy vinyl material, on top of that, severe warps have great memory and are prone to want to go back to their wavy ways ;)

Are you using a Vinyl Flat or something else?

I have an album that's bowl warped and causes whooshing on the outer grooves. y'all think it can be fixed with a vinyl flat? Can take a pic in a bit if that helps...

I have an album that's bowl warped and causes whooshing on the outer grooves. y'all think it can be fixed with a vinyl flat? Can take a pic in a bit if that helps...
The warp can be removed, but I've found that the "whoosh" is a crap shoot for some reason. Sometimes it goes away with the warp, sometimes it stays, I think it boils down to the quality of the vinyl and how the warp effects the grooves initially..............but, hey, it's worth a try :)

If you're letting them cool down long enough I would just chalk it up to crappy vinyl material, on top of that, severe warps have great memory and are prone to want to go back to their wavy ways ;)

Are you using a Vinyl Flat or something else?

Vinyl flat. Probably did roughly 12 hours of cooling on my early projects and a low heat (high 120's). Now I'm baking at medium (closer to 150) for an hour and a half and leaving them in the flat to cool for 48 hours or more. And I've upgraded from the Spin Clean to the Humming Guru which has really helped.

Last edited:
Vinyl flat. Probably did roughly 12 hours of cooling on my early projects and a low heat (high 120's). Now I'm baking at medium (closer to 150) and leaving them in the flat for 48 hours or more. And I've upgraded from the Spin Clean to the Humming Guru which has really helped.
I was going to say, maybe bring up the heat a little bit so that the vinyl softens enough to go completely flat.............mine set to med heat runs at about 150 and I've had no issues.

I just managed to melt down one of my records. UGH. This has happened before, but that's because I accidentally left a record in for 12 hours. I completely admit to fucking that one up. But this most recent one was bizarre.

My Vinyl Flat gets to about 145 degrees on High. I heated a black LP (standard weight, or maybe 140g, it feels heavy) for about 90 minutes, then let cool for about 18 hours. The edge warps did not come out, so I went for a full 2 hours and let it cool for 36 hours. The vinyl came out cooked (see image for the curious). I'm not sure what happened here. 2 hours at 145 degrees has not been a problem in the past. Perhaps this was a crap piece of vinyl?

It's still playable, but whooshy. I'll probably just chuck the record. Has anyone had this before?

Attachments

• 20220928_002625689_iOS.jpg
    20220928_002625689_iOS.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 21
I just managed to melt down one of my records. UGH. This has happened before, but that's because I accidentally left a record in for 12 hours. I completely admit to fucking that one up. But this most recent one was bizarre.

My Vinyl Flat gets to about 145 degrees on High. I heated a black LP (standard weight, or maybe 140g, it feels heavy) for about 90 minutes, then let cool for about 18 hours. The edge warps did not come out, so I went for a full 2 hours and let it cool for 36 hours. The vinyl came out cooked (see image for the curious). I'm not sure what happened here. 2 hours at 145 degrees has not been a problem in the past. Perhaps this was a crap piece of vinyl?

It's still playable, but whooshy. I'll probably just chuck the record. Has anyone had this before?
For the amount of albums I've tossed in the vinyl flat for myself and others without issue, I'm leaning towards the vinyl itself. That, unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about or prepare for. I did have an album once that out of the sleeve actually smelled like oil, it was the weirdest thing, it was warped, but I just sent it back because I didn't want to take the chance. There's no real way to know the consistency of the vinyl and or formula used, this is why I caution people with colored vinyl as well.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, but maybe use 15 minute increments when adding time, a minute at 145 degrees can do a lot more than you think, so jumping up too much can hit the breaking point of the vinyl. Just a suggestion.

For the amount of albums I've tossed in the vinyl flat for myself and others without issue, I'm leaning towards the vinyl itself. That, unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about or prepare for. I did have an album once that out of the sleeve actually smelled like oil, it was the weirdest thing, it was warped, but I just sent it back because I didn't want to take the chance. There's no real way to know the consistency of the vinyl and or formula used, this is why I caution people with colored vinyl as well.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, but maybe use 15 minute increments when adding time, a minute at 145 degrees can do a lot more than you think, so jumping up too much can hit the breaking point of the vinyl. Just a suggestion.

Are you always starting at an hour? I've cooking for 1:30 of late

Pretty much 90 minutes is the starter for me too.

Are you all letting the platters cool inside the sleeve, or removing it when the time is up and letting it cool?

I leave it in the pouch until is cooled.

One last question-- have you dealt with many splatter vinyl? I've avoided color for the most part after intially finding it more difficult to deal with... and only done pure color when I've dabbled.

But I just bought RTJ 4 on splatter and both discs came dished. I don't want to return to my local shop bc they are smaller and have been impacted by the price gouging going on. Hit up Mass Appeal with photos but doubt I'll hear back.

One last question-- have you dealt with many splatter vinyl? I've avoided color for the most part after intially finding it more difficult to deal with... and only done pure color when I've dabbled.

But I just bought RTJ 4 on splatter and both discs came dished. I don't want to return to my local shop bc they are smaller and have been impacted by the price gouging going on. Hit up Mass Appeal with photos but doubt I'll hear back.
Not many, but if it's heavy weight vinyl I stick to the same formula and so far I've run across no issues.

Km mm
Or buy a clamp/weight. That eliminates like 99% of minor warps.

I hear such differening input on that. The guys at my local Hi-Fi shop said they "only really add to sound dampening".

I have a Technics 1500. Anyone got a rec on a compatible clamp or weight that will help eliminate warps? Part of the reason I upgraded from my Rega Planar II is because they don't play friendly with such things.

@Mather?

And yea, I'm reading this thread backwards.

Last edited:
Km mm

I hear such differening input on that. The guys at my local Hi-Fi shop said they "only really add to sound dampening".

I have a Technics 1500. Anyone got a rec on a compatible clamp or weight that will help eliminate warps? Part of the reason I upgraded from my Rega Planar II is because they don't play friendly with such things.

@Mather?

And yea, I'm reading this thread backwards.
I just saw this @... I have a screw down clamp that came with my turntable, so the spindle is threaded. So for me, I can add a small felt washer under the record, then screw the clamp down over the record and that little washer will basically get rid of almost any kind of warp. But most tables obviously don't have a screw down clamp (although honestly I think they all should have the option.) Personally I think weights and standard clamps are not super useful on warps, they can flatten one side of a dish warp, but generally not the other.. They can't do much for edge warps, most warps I'd say they don't really work all that well. But if I didn't have the screw down I'd still have at least a weight because by all accounts the ability to press the record down against the platter does help with sound and they can still help with minor warps in some cases. And to me any help is good when it comes to warps.

Last edited:
@DownIsTheNewUp a michell clamp emulates what @Mather is talking about. It's not quite as effective as there is more sustained tension in @Mather's set up. I find it to be effective on some edge warps, not all. Only the most egregious bowl warps are not corrected with it. It also has a felt washer that you place under the record. I think @mcherry made different sized washers for different warps?

Last edited:
@DownIsTheNewUp a michel clamp emulates what @Mather is talking about. It's not quite as effective as there is more sustained tension in @Mather's set up. I find it to be effective on some edge warps, not all. Only the most egregious bowl warps are not corrected with it. It also has a felt washer that you place under the record. I think @mcherry made different sized washers for different warps?

Good call @Lee Newman, I forgot that @mcherry used washers with this one. This is the best clamp I've heard of (mainly from all the people here) so yeah that would be the way to go, just make sure your TT spindle is long enough for the Mitchell to work. I believe some TTs can't use it due to that.

Back