Gotta warp, these members can help. [Vinyl Flat]

I'd love to get something a little more efficient than the Vinyl Flat, but while QC has gone out the window now a days, that'd still be a big nut to recoup over time.

Yeah. It’s the first one I’ve seen where I think:

“I like the sound of that, the technology sounds right”

But equally that’s more than I’d be willing spend on a turntable, hell i don’t think it’s that far off what my power amp cost!

I'd love to get something a little more efficient than the Vinyl Flat, but while QC has gone out the window now a days, that'd still be a big nut to recoup over time.
The problem that I've encountered with my Death Star is, some vinyl will deform even on the lowest setting. I think in these cases it's sometimes due to the vinyl mixture (color especially) and other times due to the type of warp. Something that was bent after the fact can tend to change the path of the grooves when it's flattened back out again. The same way if you bend hard plastic and then attempt bend it back again, it kind of stretches. But because of this I'm very reluctant to flatten anything of value for fear that it might deform. It's only happened a few times but it's almost impossible to tell when it's going to happen. And with virtually everything having a warp to some degree these days, it's hard to know when to take the chance. So I just... don't.

But also, mine only heats the label and the run in grooves, it does not heat any part of the actual playing surface. This keeps the grooves completely in tact (in theory) and will not allow for any degradation of the sound quality. However without heating the grooves there are some warps that simply cannot be entirely removed.

The problem that I've encountered with my Death Star is, some vinyl will deform even on the lowest setting. I think in these cases it's sometimes due to the vinyl mixture (color especially) and other times due to the type of warp. Something that was bent after the fact can tend to change the path of the grooves when it's flattened back out again. The same way if you bend hard plastic and then attempt bend it back again, it kind of stretches. But because of this I'm very reluctant to flatten anything of value for fear that it might deform. It's only happened a few times but it's almost impossible to tell when it's going to happen. And with virtually everything having a warp to some degree these days, it's hard to know when to take the chance. So I just... don't.
It is such a crap shoot. While I haven't had any disasters, you can definitely tell the type/consistency of the vinyl along with vinyl/color mixtures effecting how heat effects it. Again, knock on wood, no issues, but I also tend to stay away from colored vinyl and purchasing expensive albums in poor condition.

Good idea to add a bespoke heating system. Seems basically the same as a Vinyl Flat otherwise.
Curious to know what the "plates" are made out of, one of the big positives of the VF are those heavy steal plates. Couldn't find any info on the site. If the VF had this heating system/pouch, it would be perfect.

Curious to know what the "plates" are made out of, one of the big positives of the VF are those heavy steal plates. Couldn't find any info on the site. If the VF had this heating system/pouch, it would be perfect.
shame they don’t sell it separately

Finally had a chance to fire up my Vinyl Flat that I bought about 6 months ago. I was kinda skeered being my first time and all. Original pressing of Katy Lied off Discogs arrived with a 3/16" rise on about a third of the outer edge. Not a terrible warp by any means, but I can't stand seeing my cartridge doing the sinewave dance. It would have never seen the light of day again if I left it "as is".

Anyhoo, I ran it on medium for 3 hours and cooled for 5. Dead flat! I want to pass on my appreciation for all the great info I've gleaned from this thread. Thanks a bunch guys.

$250 vs $3K... something is really off?
Nah, it just has a lot in common with the Vinyl Flat, which is a similar price. It’s not aesthetically pleasing, it doesn’t put a ton of work into super-even and precise heating, etc.

Nah, it just has a lot in common with the Vinyl Flat, which is a similar price. It’s not aesthetically pleasing, it doesn’t put a ton of work into super-even and precise heating, etc.
I gotcha. I was comparing the more exotic stuff but you are correct with that comparison.

135F has me a little nervous seeing how vinyl acts under very warm water, if I don't dial it down when washing a record in the sink.
I've read that at 50C or 120+F vinyl composites can get damaged. Not an expert there...

I gotcha. I was comparing the more exotic stuff but you are correct with that comparison.

135F has me a little nervous seeing how vinyl acts under very warm water, if I don't dial it down when washing a record in the sink.
I've read that at 50C or 120+F vinyl composites can get damaged. Not an expert there...
135F is the recommended temp for the Vinyl Flat as well. It works great for most vinyl formulations, though certain transparent records do become pliable at a lower temperature. Never had any negative SQ impacts that weren't directly the result of warp damage.

135F is the recommended temp for the Vinyl Flat as well. It works great for most vinyl formulations, though certain transparent records do become pliable at a lower temperature. Never had any negative SQ impacts that weren't directly the result of warp damage.
I believe it was described that pvc becomes brittle at certain temps.
Main reason the US temp cutoffs are built-in on units like Degritter.
I'm sure these vinyl flat guts have researched it, but I like that you can be precise with temp control on the Pi.

Back