Golf?

Hitting balls with regularity is the best thing you can do. I used to play about once a week, got to averaging low 90s to upper 80s. Never got to the low 80s really though.

This past year I've only been out about 5 times. Between not getting out and getting over some sciatica, the skills fall off quickly. I'm not a natural either so it's an up hill climb. Back to shooting in the hundreds. At this stage the knowledge from lessons can become a burden because I'm thinking about hip angles and wrist rotation and I need to back up and remind myself what simply hitting down feels like, lol.

I've just had to reset my mind and remember things that I tell friends who are just starting. A 6 iron off the tee has been saving me more strokes than anything I've learned in a lesson. But I'm glad it's still fun for me. I have some friends who would probably just stop playing if they back slid that much. Putting your ego to the side and remembering that you're smacking balls in a field is the best golf lesson you can ever get in my opinion.

*And deciding what type of golf you really want to play. Get the ball in the hole or try to drive the ball 300. Most people don't get to play both ways, so you just pick one and have fun, lol.
You can still have fun shooting in 100s if you can crack it 280+ in the air every time. Even if you miss every fairway, it's fun to watch guys who can hit those distances catch one straight.
This, a hundred times this. I do not hit the ball a long way at all, I'm happy if I can get a drive out there 270 and fly it 240. One of the guys on our league team is about the same, and he is a scratch golfer. Distance is fun, but so many people I know chase just that and expect that their games will improve. Find your way to having fun!

This, a hundred times this. I do not hit the ball a long way at all, I'm happy if I can get a drive out there 270 and fly it 240. One of the guys on our league team is about the same, and he is a scratch golfer. Distance is fun, but so many people I know chase just that and expect that their games will improve. Find your way to having fun!
Yup, I've never been able to bomb it. But I can spin a wedge back and hit a decently consistent flop shot. Couldn't afford the range all the time when I learned to play in college, but the chipping and putting area was free. We spent a lot of time doing short game HORSE. Those skills don't seem to fade quite as fast either.

I wasn’t aware you guys were here but I found the thread looking for the mental health support, I’m an assistant golf pro I’ve worked in the business for almost 15 years, have many stories lol.
Welcome! My brother is also an assistant pro, and he's also got some stories.......funny how the golf business works like that.

Do any of the golfing enthusiasts here have a good resource for personalized golf bag umbrellas? Drizzle Stick or similar. I want to have 30 made for our golf league this year with our logo.
The sites I have visited thus far don't provide a real-time mock up. Just 'add to cart' and 'pay us now.'

Do any of the golfing enthusiasts here have a good resource for personalized golf bag umbrellas? Drizzle Stick or similar. I want to have 30 made for our golf league this year with our logo.
The sites I have visited thus far don't provide a real-time mock up. Just 'add to cart' and 'pay us now.'
I work in the business and I would suggest you reach out to your local golf specific store or a golf facility that has a decent amount of retail and order the umbrellas through them, if you are using your own logo then you will likely have to pay a “setup” fee for whatever company makes them since they have to create the logo in their system. Keep in mind that you may not get them anytime soon, the course I work at has a pretty small shop and many items take weeks or months to arrive and the person you order them from may not get a specific or accurate eta from the manufacturer.

I work in the business and I would suggest you reach out to your local golf specific store or a golf facility that has a decent amount of retail and order the umbrellas through them, if you are using your own logo then you will likely have to pay a “setup” fee for whatever company makes them since they have to create the logo in their system. Keep in mind that you may not get them anytime soon, the course I work at has a pretty small shop and many items take weeks or months to arrive and the person you order them from may not get a specific or accurate eta from the manufacturer.
Ok cool, thanks for the info!

Well, I was looking forward to catching some of the unofficial fifth major, The Players, this weekend, but apparently the weather in Florida is going to be awful for a predicted three straight days. I wonder if they just scrap it or play it until, what Tuesday?

Well, I was looking forward to catching some of the unofficial fifth major, The Players, this weekend, but apparently the weather in Florida is going to be awful for a predicted three straight days. I wonder if they just scrap it or play it until, what Tuesday?
They will make them play as many holes every day as is reasonable and safe.

They will make them play as many holes every day as is reasonable and safe.
Yep I completely understand why they have to suspend it. Unfortunately the forecast doesn't offer much chance to play these next couple days, and here they are with play suspended again...still trying to finish day 1.

Yep I completely understand why they have to suspend it. Unfortunately the forecast doesn't offer much chance to play these next couple days, and here they are with play suspended again...still trying to finish day 1.

I was thinking of putting together a N&G NCAA bracket pool. Would any of you guys be interested? I would set up an private NCAA Tournament Challenge Group. $3 per bracket? Gauging internet. Let me know. Thanks!

I was thinking of putting together a N&G NCAA bracket pool. Would any of you guys be interested? I would set up an private NCAA Tournament Challenge Group. $3 per bracket? Gauging internet. Let me know. Thanks!
I'll do it. I like a reason to pay attention to the tourney. In years past I ran one at work, but I don't really like to fraternize as much around my workplace anymore. (you can read that as I don't like many of my coworkers)

I'll do it. I like a reason to pay attention to the tourney. In years past I ran one at work, but I don't really like to fraternize as much around my workplace anymore. (you can read that as I don't like many of my coworkers)
Sweet!

Who do we all like for the Masters?
I am making picks with my buddy tomorrow, I have first selection and we each take four golfers with the worst being dropped. Lowest aggregate wins, and if you have the winner it's double the cash. We do this every week from March until the the Fed Ex Cup for just a small stipend.
Thinking my pick will be JT, but it seems a bad idea to pass on Rahm.

I have a sickness where if Tiger plays, I cannot pass on rooting for him.

I'd love to see Rory win it finally. Rahm has been playing well and has 4 consecutives top 10s at the Masters, so that's another decent bet.

But based on the season so far this year, I think we'll see someone younger and less experienced win at the Masters. Possibly someone who is a first time player or has never cracked the top 10 at the masters. Cameron Champ, Collin Morikawa, and of course the new current #1 ranked player in the world - Scottie Scheffler all fit that criteria.

Who do we all like for the Masters?
I am making picks with my buddy tomorrow, I have first selection and we each take four golfers with the worst being dropped. Lowest aggregate wins, and if you have the winner it's double the cash. We do this every week from March until the the Fed Ex Cup for just a small stipend.
Thinking my pick will be JT, but it seems a bad idea to pass on Rahm.
JT is a solid choice. DJ is coming into form and Rahm is good if he's putter is back. Personal ly I like Cameron Smith.

JT is a solid choice. DJ is coming into form and Rahm is good if he's putter is back. Personal ly I like Cameron Smith.
Since I have first pick this week I can get two of that trio - DJ, JT or Rahm. Something about DJ, I don't know...I don't like rooting for him.

I have a sickness where if Tiger plays, I cannot pass on rooting for him.

I'd love to see Rory win it finally. Rahm has been playing well and has 4 consecutives top 10s at the Masters, so that's another decent bet.

But based on the season so far this year, I think we'll see someone younger and less experienced win at the Masters. Possibly someone who is a first time player or has never cracked the top 10 at the masters. Cameron Champ, Collin Morikawa, and of course the new current #1 ranked player in the world - Scottie Scheffler all fit that criteria.
The Masters is so tough to breakthrough and yet of course there has to be new winners once in awhile. I really like Morikawa and Schauffele, I can see choosing and rooting for those guys. Hard to say if Scheffler can keep it up but he is #1 and that certainly means something.

And yeah, I root for Tiger too...if he even plays it would be impressive, and making the cut would be pretty unbelievable.

Back