Golf?

Shot an 80 at men's league last night on an absolutely beautiful sunny summer solstice evening. We could likely have played 27 holes with the amount of light we had!

Most exciting thing was that I LITERALLY lipped out for a hole in one. Like, the ball hit the edge of the hole and spun out 90 degrees the other way. I've never had a hole in one in my life, and that's the closest I have been in some time!
Damn, great score and that's crazy about the almost ace. Did you make the birdie putt? :D

I am not a great golfer, and I'd have trouble proving I'm a good golfer, but I did have one lucky swing for a hole in one.

Damn, great score and that's crazy about the almost ace. Did you make the birdie putt? :D

I am not a great golfer, and I'd have trouble proving I'm a good golfer, but I did have one lucky swing for a hole in one.
Thanks, and I did make the two foot birdie putt coming back!

We have a “deuce pot” you can pay into, and anyone who makes a 2 gets in on splitting the pot. Thankfully I paid in, so I’ll have something coming my way. However, we also have a “Hole In One Insurance” that everyone pays with their league entry fees. It’s $10, and the league has 144 people in it, so the first hole-in-one pays out $1440. Now THAT would have been sweet!

Wow, that's huge. How does everyone get a round in? That's like 4+ hours of tee-times.
Technically we only play 9 holes that count towards the league. That way they can send tee times off the front and back nines. But once your nine is done, you can just keep playing and try to get a full 18 holes in.

Technically we only play 9 holes that count towards the league. That way they can send tee times off the front and back nines. But once your nine is done, you can just keep playing and try to get a full 18 holes in.
I'm curious about this.
Our league was created by me and a close friend 25 years ago to basically lock in a weekly tee time with friends. We have it maxed at 24 players. (our lowest was 12 way back in year 2) So, 144 sounds so difficult to run to me. The course must give you guys the course for the evening every week, right?

I'm curious about this.
Our league was created by me and a close friend 25 years ago to basically lock in a weekly tee time with friends. We have it maxed at 24 players. (our lowest was 12 way back in year 2) So, 144 sounds so difficult to run to me. The course must give you guys the course for the evening every week, right?
Correct. It's actually the course that runs the Men's League, not the players. So it gives more freedom as to what they can do.

I love that this forum keeps finding ways to cover all my interests.

Grandpa taught me how to putt at age 5, got my first set of sticks a few years later, then ended up caddying from age 12-22.

Best job in the world, and if you have kids, I couldn't suggest more highly to encourage them to give it a shot.

As for my current game, I work too much to be a single digit, but I hover between 11-15hdcp and can put it together somedays to take a few bucks from my friends.

Only fun fact that I'll offer is that I game a 1968 "Karsten Co" Ping Anser - the sound off the face is the most satisfying part of most rounds for me. I like to imagine how many putts have been made with this thing over the years while I whiff on 5 footers.

Attachments

• IMG_4925.jpg
    IMG_4925.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 1
Playing the next 4 days, the last 3 in a member/guest at a friends club. I've been playing awful, hopefully I can get it going a bit. Getting a bunch more strokes than I usually do from the awful play, so could be good if I can pull it together. Lots of golf coming up this month, and pretty excited about it!

Who is everyone rooting for at the Open?
Westy! Not sure if he can, but I'd love to see him pick up his first major.

And once I make make my weekly picks with my buddy I'll have four rooting interests.
Rahm, Schauffle, Koepka and Cantlay would be my dream team four but we take turns picking and he goes first this week...he'll probably take Rahm.

Got out for 4 days in a row last week playing in a Member/Guest with a buddy, kind of a last minute replacement for a friend that had an injury. Played 5 nine hole matches, net best ball. Played ok at times, we went 3-1-1 and won our flight. Made it to the finals and ended up in 5th place out of 84 teams. Great time on a great golf course, good food and lots of drinks. Walked away with around $800 each too!

Played 2 rounds on vacation over 4th of July week. Figured out my driver issue, which really helped me clean things up. I was too far on my front foot. Also started wearing a glove for the first time ever, which, holy shit - how have I not been wearing one before now. The difference was night and day.

Can't wait to play more, but it's been raining basically since we got home.

Played 2 rounds on vacation over 4th of July week. Figured out my driver issue, which really helped me clean things up. I was too far on my front foot. Also started wearing a glove for the first time ever, which, holy shit - how have I not been wearing one before now. The difference was night and day.

Can't wait to play more, but it's been raining basically since we got home.
Glad to hear you have it figured out, or closer to it! I'm going through the hitting the driver everywhere thing too, hoping to take a lesson this week and work on getting it ironed out. It's been fun finally getting back out to play!

Figured out my driver issue, which really helped me clean things up.

I'm going through the hitting the driver everywhere thing too, hoping to take a lesson this week and work on getting it ironed out.

I spent most of the last two or three seasons using my old Callaway 3 wood for tee shots. My slice was bad with any driver so I was getting a straighter shot with the 3 without coughing up distance. But this year, finally, I have been catching the driver on the screws more often and loving the extra 15 and sometimes even 20 yards from a straight driver shot. (slight fade actually) Not sure what changed, but I'll ride this for awhile!

I spent most of the last two or three seasons using my old Callaway 3 wood for tee shots. My slice was bad with any driver so I was getting a straighter shot with the 3 without coughing up distance. But this year, finally, I have been catching the driver on the screws more often and loving the extra 15 and sometimes even 20 yards from a straight driver shot. (slight fade actually) Not sure what changed, but I'll ride this for awhile!
Take it while you can get it!

I think it's time for new irons. Mine are Taylor Made RAC from either 2001 or 02, I don't quite remember. But I blinked and all of a sudden they are like 20 years old.
I did the same before I got my new Mizuno JPX 921s in the off season. I had a set of Adams Tight Lies Tour blades that I had played for like 16 years.

I would absolutely recommend finding a spot where you can go in and do a custom fitting. You don't have to buy anything from them, although you can and they usually wave the fitting fee if you do. But even going in and getting to hit lots of different brands, styles, and shafts will give you an idea of what you want to be looking for.

Alternatively, brand demo days at courses are fun for trying stuff out too.

Got out for 4 days in a row last week playing in a Member/Guest with a buddy, kind of a last minute replacement for a friend that had an injury. Played 5 nine hole matches, net best ball. Played ok at times, we went 3-1-1 and won our flight. Made it to the finals and ended up in 5th place out of 84 teams. Great time on a great golf course, good food and lots of drinks. Walked away with around $800 each too!
Well done sir! I haven't played in a Member/Guest tournament in a while. They're always fun though.

Back