Golf?

Any golfers out there?
Share your stories, gear recommendations, course pics, great golf deals, whatever!

@Memo
@BattleFlag
Oooo love this! Been playing for a little over two years now, got a set of used Callaway Big Bertha clubs. Might upgrade to some newer ones in the distant future, want to be sub 100 first! 😅

Yeah, been known to play some golf. Younger child has reigned that in a bit, dying to get out as things start to dry out in the PNW.

Lots of great trips, we used to do a Baseball/Golf trip that I'm hoping to get back to sometime. Went to San Fran a couple times, then made a great trip to Philly/Baltimore/DC and played a couple days.

Probably the best trip I've made was we flew down to San Fran on a Wednesday morning. Went to the day A's game, night Giants game. Thursday went to the day Giants game, Tears for Fears concert that night. Woke up Friday morning and played Olympic a few weeks after the US Open, then headed to the airport and flew home. Not sure I could have a better 3 days! (although I've got another cool story for another time).

Might upgrade to some newer ones in the distant future, want to be sub 100 first!
This is definitely me too! I've been using a set that my parents got me with their credit card points since high school. Picked up playing regularly last year since it was a safe covid activity. Been using the 18Birdies phone app to track my rounds and handicap, which I had never done before.

Came this close to my first hole in 1 on Sunday..

IMG_20210323_103359.jpg

I play nine holes a week from April through September because of the league I'm in and I love having that locked in. 18 hole rounds I don't do as often. The courses here are so crowded, and with Covid it was absolutely insane trying to get tee times last year. My boss has a standing 'first three tee-times' at a local course and I join that group sometimes...but mid-summer they tee-off at 5:50 and that's just too early.

As far as equipment, I have Taylor Made RAC irons that I bought in 2000, they are fine I can't see a good reason to upgrade. I have a Callaway Steelhead 3 wood that I will never part with, it's so predictable/dependable for me...especially if the driver isn't working. In fact, I have gone weeks and weeks without ever pulling driver when that 3 wood is working. 220 yards and a slight fade, I'll take it.

I play nine holes a week from April through September because of the league I'm in and I love having that locked in. 18 hole rounds I don't do as often. The courses here are so crowded, and with Covid it was absolutely insane trying to get tee times last year. My boss has a standing 'first three tee-times' at a local course and I join that group sometimes...but mid-summer they tee-off at 5:50 and that's just too early.

As far as equipment, I have Taylor Made RAC irons that I bought in 2000, they are fine I can't see a good reason to upgrade. I have a Callaway Steelhead 3 wood that I will never part with, it's so predictable/dependable for me...especially if the driver isn't working. In fact, I have gone weeks and weeks without ever pulling driver when that 3 wood is working. 220 yards and a slight fade, I'll take it.
I'm a big Callaway guy, but it does help that one of my best friends is the rep. Their equipment is very solid.

I used to love those early AM tee times, could be home to the family before noon with getting some breakfast or lunch.

I used to love those early AM tee times, could be home to the family before noon with getting some breakfast or lunch.
Definitely. I'll play any time after 6:30 or so....I get up early all week so it's not too difficult. But getting up at 5 am, eh, it actually adds stress to my Saturday night. But I do I love those summer mornings. A granola bar and beer at the turn is perfect, even though it's only like 9-ish at that point. Morning golf is on the list of activities that are ok to drink in the morning. Well, my list anyway.

I wish I could get my woods to work for me. Have never had the confidence to pull them out - I'm all over the place with them at the range. Compounded that I completely fell apart with the driver at the end of last season, I was in a world of pain from distance. First time out this year wasn't awful, but I may need to use some vaseline on the driver face until I can get things straightened out for real (SHH! ;) )

My dad bought some really nice hybrid woods over the holidays. Next time we golf together I'm curious to try them out.

vaseline on the driver head
What's this now?
My dad bought some really nice hybrid woods over the holidays. Next time we golf together I'm curious to try them out.
I love hybrids...but I think it's because I've always done ok with fairway woods. I had a 7 wood that was a huge part of my game for years. I could never hit a 3 or 4 iron well, and now have cheap-o hybrids that I like quite a bit.

Not sure why I missed it, but I just saw the pic @Djxfactor511
Nice shot! What are the details? Long hole, short hole? Club used?

I have a hole in one. It was a 110 yard par 3, I was playing with a supplier/salesmen I didn't know that well, just he and I. It was crazy to see it drop out of sight. And yet, not much hooting and hollering.
My dad and aunt also have holes-in-one. And yet their dad, my grandpa, was the avid golfer in the family and he never had one. Maybe it's because he was struck by lightning on the course in his 30s. That is probably the same odds.
True story. He sought cover under a tree during a thunderstorm and it zapped him right though his head down to his feet. He had holes blown out of the bottom of both feet. ICU for a month with severe burns, my dad said he wasn't allowed to go see him for awhile. And yet, he lived to 84, with the side effects being bad balance, messed up vision and some headaches. Crazy that it didn't kill him.

Not sure why I missed it, but I just saw the pic @Djxfactor511
Nice shot! What are the details? Long hole, short hole? Club used?

I have a hole in one. It was a 110 yard par 3, I was playing with a supplier/salesmen I didn't know that well, just he and I. It was crazy to see it drop out of sight. And yet, not much hooting and hollering.
My dad and aunt also have holes-in-one. And yet their dad, my grandpa, was the avid golfer in the family and he never had one. Maybe it's because he was struck by lightning on the course in his 30s. That is probably the same odds.
True story. He sought cover under a tree during a thunderstorm and it zapped him right though his head down to his feet. He had holes blown out of the bottom of both feet. ICU for a month with severe burns, my dad said he wasn't allowed to go see him for awhile. And yet, he lived to 84, with the side effects being bad balance, messed up vision and some headaches. Crazy that it didn't kill him.
That's a crazy story! I think just about every golfer has finished out a hole in bad weather before, not thinking that anything like this could ever happen to them. Glad he was relatively ok!

Definitely the closest I've come.

Par 3 - about 150 yds level ground

There's a tall pine that half blocks the left side of the green so you either have to go high over the tree or around it to the right side of the green. Hole placement was mid-left so I went high with a teed up 7 iron. Three quarter swing to get the air but not the distance. Looped up and just right of the highest branch. I thought it landed on the back green and was long by 10 yds. Didn't realize how close I came until I walked on the green.

That's a crazy story! I think just about every golfer has finished out a hole in bad weather before, not thinking that anything like this could ever happen to them. Glad he was relatively ok!

Definitely the closest I've come.

Par 3 - about 150 yds level ground

There's a tall pine that half blocks the left side of the green so you either have to go high over the tree or around it to the right side of the green. Hole placement was mid-left so I went high with a teed up 7 iron. Three quarter swing to get the air but not the distance. Looped up and just right of the highest branch. I thought it landed on the back green and was long by 10 yds. Didn't realize how close I came until I walked on the green.
That's awesome, knowing me I probably would've putted my way to a bogey on that placement! 😅

Those hole in ones are so random. I was playing with my Daughter and ex-wife on a kind of misty morning so the course was pretty empty, they were up at the women's tee not paying attention and a couple friends were on the hole after us. Hit it, yelled go in, and the ex asked what I was yelling about when it went in :ROFLMAO:. I did get this great picture below out of it, when my Daughter took the ball out of the hole. Also got my 2nd one at a buddies trip in Central Oregon. That one was wild with groups jumping up and down on the holes both sides of us, and the homeowners happened to be out near the tee box and watched it one hop into the hole. I've been pretty lucky to get two, I know people that have played their whole life without one.

Oh, 3 iron into the wind 199 yards that never left the pin :)
20140503_143308.jpg

Those hole in ones are so random. I was playing with my Daughter and ex-wife on a kind of misty morning so the course was pretty empty, they were up at the women's tee not paying attention and a couple friends were on the hole after us. Hit it, yelled go in, and the ex asked what I was yelling about when it went in :ROFLMAO:. I did get this great picture below out of it, when my Daughter took the ball out of the hole. Also got my 2nd one at a buddies trip in Central Oregon. That one was wild with groups jumping up and down on the holes both sides of us, and the homeowners happened to be out near the tee box and watched it one hop into the hole. I've been pretty lucky to get two, I know people that have played their whole life without one.

Oh, 3 iron into the wind 199 yards that never left the pin :)
View attachment 92986
Holy crap, you have two! Nice man. Love that pic too.

Golf trips for me and my friends end up being one round in the middle of a Saturday. Nobody ever wants to play 36 because drinking, or on Sunday because drinking. I've always wanted to do a trip where there are up to five scheduled rounds from Friday to Sunday, I've never done that.

That's awesome, knowing me I probably would've putted my way to a bogey on that placement! 😅

For once I managed not to choke on the easy putt! 😂

My grandpa has both of his hole in ones framed hanging by his basement bar with pictures of the holes. I remember he was so proud of his first. His second was been there done that, but he still got it framed!

Ayyyyo! Love this thread!

I am actually golfing in our annual work tournament on Saturday. Will be sure to post pics and whatnot

BTW.....when i'm not playing golf, or watching golf, I am playing GOLF CLASH !!!!

itss the best app

I have a plaque from the golf course where I got my hole in one hanging here in my work office, but I lost the ball I used.

A close friend of mine has two. His second one was 178 yards into some dense fog on a chilly morning. I was in a different group than him that morning, but he said they looked everywhere before checking the hole. That seems to be the case a lot; it was the same thing when my league partner got his. We checked all around the green, and I'll always remember what he said when he walked by the pin before he was about to drop: "Why is there a ball already in the hole?" Like, the realization of the awesomeness took a second...

Back