Golf?

I play pretty quickly, even when hacking. Plus I can follow simple etiquette and logic to help along a round; like splitting up with your cartmate and grabbing a couple clubs when shots aren't near each other...seems obvious but to some it clearly isn't.

And, ready-golf is always a thing. Unless someone birdied the previous hole or is on a total hot streak, first guy ready should just go tee off. There's a difference between playing quickly and being in a hurry.
Exactly, all I ask is ready golf. If someone wants to just stroll around a park, do that :)

Last year when my brother in law started playing with us, he was insufferable because of his slow pace of play. Not only was he pretty bad (TOTALLY OK for a completely new player like him), but he'd take 5, 6...sometimes 7 practice swings before he'd actually take his real shot. We nipped that one in the butt pretty quickly. :giggle:

Ready golf is definitely a thing, and we do multiple shots at the same time if we're far enough apart.

Last year when my brother in law started playing with us, he was insufferable because of his slow pace of play. Not only was he pretty bad (TOTALLY OK for a completely new player like him), but he'd take 5, 6...sometimes 7 practice swings before he'd actually take his real shot. We nipped that one in the butt pretty quickly. :giggle:

Ready golf is definitely a thing, and we do multiple shots at the same time if we're far enough apart.
I only have so many swings, I can't waste 'em all with practice swings!

I'm so glad to see a golf thread here! Golf is my other main hobby. Basically golf outside, audio inside.
I haven't played at all yet this year due to other priorities going on, but I did finally get out to the driving range yesterday. At my best, I was pushing a 15ish handicap, so I'm not a natural talent by any means, but I love the game. My wife still has no interest in playing, but I'm glad she's picked up watching golf since we started dating.

Hopefully I can get at least a few rounds in before we get in the daily 100 temps, but it might be mostly hot rounds this summer.

Another question - who here is a gear head in golf and in audio? I know I am! I haven't swapped golf gear in a long time, but I put a lot of thought and tweaks into my current set up, and I would need a fitting to definitively "beat" my current gear to get a replacement.

I'm so glad to see a golf thread here! Golf is my other main hobby. Basically golf outside, audio inside.
I haven't played at all yet this year due to other priorities going on, but I did finally get out to the driving range yesterday. At my best, I was pushing a 15ish handicap, so I'm not a natural talent by any means, but I love the game. My wife still has no interest in playing, but I'm glad she's picked up watching golf since we started dating.

Hopefully I can get at least a few rounds in before we get in the daily 100 temps, but it might be mostly hot rounds this summer.

Another question - who here is a gear head in golf and in audio? I know I am! I haven't swapped golf gear in a long time, but I put a lot of thought and tweaks into my current set up, and I would need a fitting to definitively "beat" my current gear to get a replacement.
I'm probably more of a gear head in golf than in audio, but I don't switch clubs very often at all. This is a funny statement, since I have replaced 13 of 14 clubs in the bag in the last 12 months after rarely changing anything for the better part of a dozen years. I did get fitted for most of it, which I have definitely been happy with.

Hilariously, I also did the same with audio equipment in the last 12 months with my Studiodeck and Moon 110LP V2 preamp. And I'm hoping the new clubs and audio gear will last me at least another ten years!

I'm probably more of a gear head in golf than in audio, but I don't switch clubs very often at all. This is a funny statement, since I have replaced 13 of 14 clubs in the bag in the last 12 months after rarely changing anything for the better part of a dozen years. I did get fitted for most of it, which I have definitely been happy with.

Hilariously, I also did the same with audio equipment in the last 12 months with my Studiodeck and Moon 110LP V2 preamp. And I'm hoping the new clubs and audio gear will last me at least another ten years!
I think I can keep my golf gear in use for much longer than my entire audio system. I'm always more tempted by new audio gear.

Not much of a gear head. I have a friend that is a club rep, and I usually just ask him what I need! There's a lot of science/math to it all these days, I just want to hit the ball somewhere near the distance I did in my younger days.

There's a lot of science/math to it all these days
There sure is, but like audio it just all comes down to what fits and feels right. The marketing team can chant MOI and % increase stats all day, but just like I speaker needs to sound right to you, all that club science goes no where if you can't hit it comfortably.

I love the number of YouTubers out there putting this stuff to the test. They pretty regularly show little to no increase in drivers year over year if it's a similar design. But they all still have their favorites.

There sure is, but like audio it just all comes down to what fits and feels right. The marketing team can chant MOI and % increase stats all day, but just like I speaker needs to sound right to you, all that club science goes no where if you can't hit it comfortably.

I love the number of YouTubers out there putting this stuff to the test. They pretty regularly show little to no increase in drivers year over year if it's a similar design. But they all still have their favorites.
Totally agree. Someone can tell me something is the best, but if I don't like the way it looks and feels, I'm out.

Totally agree. Someone can tell me something is the best, but if I don't like the way it looks and feels, I'm out.
Definitely felt this way doing my driver fitting last year. I definitely know what I don't like the look of (see: almost every Callaway driver I've ever looked at), and the fitting numbers backed that up.

That said, I think because of everyone being so close in "technology" and not really making anything with massive distance numbers from year to year, it's even more important to find what you like through testing or fitting. Having played a Titleist driver for a decade, I was surprised that it wasn't even in the top three of what I tested last year.

There are a number of great golf YouTube channels, you are correct. TXG, Peter Finch, Rick Sheils, Alex Etches.......the list goes on.

I do wish that more golf review channels would be a little more brutally honest about not needing the newest of equipment all the time. Fine to do equipment reviews, but I would love to see them give more data or opinions on whether the "upgrades" are worth it. The channels I mentioned are pretty good about not doing it, but there are a lot of channels that feel like they are afraid to say anything bad.

I do wish that more golf review channels would be a little more brutally honest about not needing the newest of equipment all the time.
I think Mark Crossfield does the best at this. Over the last several years his message has really been focused on looking at the specs, and showing how when all things are equal you can basically make any club produce a good round of you know how to swing it.
His equipment reviews have really become more and showing the spec differences between each model, how that impacts flight, and the feelings and sounds of each club. It's comes across very honest, and quite detailed, while still being quirky and fun.

Awesome! Mine was supposed to start on Monday, but we had snow...because Canada...so next week it is!
We got lucky this week. It snowed overnight...so if today was our day we'd definitely be delayed. Looks good for Friday!

First night of my league went yesterday evening. I was sooooooo pumped to get out and finally play a real round of golf!

I played pretty decently, but was definitely a little rusty on the greens. Our team got the win, which is always a bonus. And my new clubs performed pretty well overall, which I was very happy about.

The outdoor driving range that is nearest to me is about to open up a 30,000 square foot putting green this week, so I know where I will be going to get some short game practice!

First night of my league went yesterday evening. I was sooooooo pumped to get out and finally play a real round of golf!

I played pretty decently, but was definitely a little rusty on the greens. Our team got the win, which is always a bonus. And my new clubs performed pretty well overall, which I was very happy about.

The outdoor driving range that is nearest to me is about to open up a 30,000 square foot putting green this week, so I know where I will be going to get some short game practice!
That's awesome! Putting is an area where I find it really hard to practice more than 15 mins or so. My back really hates being in that position for an extended period of time. Kinda like doing the dishes lol.

Back