Golf?

Last night was a classic Michigan spring evening on the course...rain, hail, sun, wind. It was chilly to boot.
I was able to carve out a 48 after a double-double-triple to start. (and won my match) I feel like I’m playing ok to start the season, cant wait until I don’t have four layers on.

IMG_20210508_111252_471.jpgIMG_20210508_111252_527.jpgIMG_20210508_111252_588.jpgIMG_20210508_111252_450.jpg

Well, golf is pretty much on the back burner here for the next three weeks. Our provincial government has put more restrictions in place, and outdoor recreation activities are only to happen with household members and/or a "close contact" if you live alone. This means that our men's league isn't happening for the three week period they've announced (or longer, if they decide to keep this in place for longer).

It sucks, but I get it. Our COVID case number are going through the roof, and we have groups of idiots in rural areas that are organizing "freedom rodeos" in protest of....you know, generic health and safety precautions.

Well, golf is pretty much on the back burner here for the next three weeks. Our provincial government has put more restrictions in place, and outdoor recreation activities are only to happen with household members and/or a "close contact" if you live alone. This means that our men's league isn't happening for the three week period they've announced (or longer, if they decide to keep this in place for longer).

It sucks, but I get it. Our COVID case number are going through the roof, and we have groups of idiots in rural areas that are organizing "freedom rodeos" in protest of....you know, generic health and safety precautions.

Wow, that's too bad. It really seems that outdoors has been deemed mostly safe, if distanced and skipping the handshakes and etc.

Oh no, freedom rodeos?

That's awesome! Putting is an area where I find it really hard to practice more than 15 mins or so. My back really hates being in that position for an extended period of time. Kinda like doing the dishes lol.
Short game has always been my favorite for a few reasons.
1 - you can practice it for free. This was key to my golf enjoyment in college when I was broke.
2 - You can hit a perfect drive, and totally duff a few shots and forget how good that drive was by the time you sink a double or triple. But if you hit on in the woods, with a few other shots, you can walk away with a smile after making a 20ft putt.

But I do feel your pain about the back. I have that same issue regularly (thanks desk job). I have found that daily planks are the best solution to this issue. If you can do 15 minutes of putting, 1 minute plank, 15 minutes of putting, 1 minute glute bridge, 15 minutes of putting, then you'll massively improve your game and your back. Not just for putting, but across the board.

It's all free, and it can all be done at home in one room.

Wow, that's too bad. It really seems that outdoors has been deemed mostly safe, if distanced and skipping the handshakes and etc.

Oh no, freedom rodeos?
Yeah, I think golf is at a pretty minimal risk personally, but I completely understand why they have put in these measures considering our infection numbers. The amount of times I have seen people on the course so far this year doing things like pulling the flags out, high fiving and shaking hands with their groups, and so on tells me that there's a good amount of people ignoring the course's COVID protocols.

Yeah, the less we dwell on that whole "freedom rodeo" thing, the better. Let's just say that 20,000 people gathering together with no masks or social distancing to rally for their "freedoms" (aka "health and safety be damned, masks are inconvenient and I'm not happy about it") do not deserve my mental efforts.

Took a much needed day off yesterday and played a favorite local course. It was a beautiful morning, and I had a good time out there. But, I took an ELEVEN on a hole. That's the highest number I've carded in quite awhile. Good thing bad golf doesn't ruin my day, because that 11 was on the fourth hole, after a triple-double-double start. I reigned it in and got a couple pars and a run of bogeys, which reminded me I can play.

Hickory.jpg

Our league has its Red, White and Blue scramble this Friday.
Super fun event - we draw holes randomly and play six holes from each set of tees. It's a four man scramble, and it's one of only two times we play for cash during the season. Money awarded for low score, skins and a couple closest-to-pins and It's all paid for via our league's slush fund.

We plan on 18 holes, and even though we don't start until 4:32, it being scheduled close to the solstice every year gives us a good chance for even the sixth foursome to finish. Hoping for a sunny Friday!

Our league has its Red, White and Blue scramble this Friday.
Super fun event - we draw holes randomly and play six holes from each set of tees. It's a four man scramble, and it's one of only two times we play for cash during the season. Money awarded for low score, skins and a couple closest-to-pins and It's all paid for via our league's slush fund.

We plan on 18 holes, and even though we don't start until 4:32, it being scheduled close to the solstice every year gives us a good chance for even the sixth foursome to finish. Hoping for a sunny Friday!

This sounds like a ton of fun!

Last night for Men's League, we teed off at 6:30 PM and still had enough daylight to finish 18 holes. Love the longer sunlight, and we get a ton of it up here. Also, shot a 79 in last night's round. First break-80 round of the year, and it could have been even better. Now I just have to win the lottery so I can retire early and golf every day. 🙃

This sounds like a ton of fun!

Last night for Men's League, we teed off at 6:30 PM and still had enough daylight to finish 18 holes. Love the longer sunlight, and we get a ton of it up here. Also, shot a 79 in last night's round. First break-80 round of the year, and it could have been even better. Now I just have to win the lottery so I can retire early and golf every day. 🙃
Nice job on breaking 80. I never have...and I would need a really special round to do so.

I played today (in your lovely state @ranbalam no less!). My first real go at it in at least 2 years. Kids have made asking for four hours off from the wife a bit much. Good news is they are getting clubs for their next birthday so we can hack it together soon.

Anyway, it was a tough round. I couldn't get my swing working and just couldn't get putts to drop. It was a great day though so still fun!

Shot an 80 at men's league last night on an absolutely beautiful sunny summer solstice evening. We could likely have played 27 holes with the amount of light we had!

Most exciting thing was that I LITERALLY lipped out for a hole in one. Like, the ball hit the edge of the hole and spun out 90 degrees the other way. I've never had a hole in one in my life, and that's the closest I have been in some time!

Back