Golf?

Devastated by the LIV takeover of the PGA. I’m out on golf….heartbroken. Blood money wins. This country is so ignorant and full of greed.
Curious to read the details on this, and how it affects the players that initially defected and their agreements with LIV. But honestly, I'm glad they will be back to all the players in one place. Even if there are a few I was happy to see gone, and I know those few will be saying "I told you so".

The worst part of this is the players had no knowledge this was happening and most found out about it on Twitter. So all those guys that stayed with the PGA, forgoing millions to stay true to the "badge" end up getting hardly anything out of this. They all need to rally together and demand the head of the PGA step down.

Sell it properly to sponsors and it could pay for itself. But would take time. I just don’t know how PGA guys are going to be able to play for these monsters. It’s so gross that this was forced on them.
It’s ugly and the greedy. When Donald Trump is applauding the move you know it’s the wrong move and will likely benefit him monetarily.

I didn't like the merger news when I first heard it, and now that I've had a chance to think about it I like it even less.
How will this work moving forward? Will the PGA go to the LIV 54 hole format and play less events? Or will the two tours coexist and run parallel, only meeting at the majors and a few other events?

I didn't like the merger news when I first heard it, and now that I've had a chance to think about it I like it even less.
How will this work moving forward? Will the PGA go to the LIV 54 hole format and play less events? Or will the two tours coexist and run parallel, only meeting at the majors and a few other events?
I think LIV goes away by the end of the year. Maybe the PGA adds tour stops in the places LIV was going to. Saudis continue to sportswash and the PGA gets the blood money it requires to operate. I think the day to day doesn't change all that much.

I think LIV goes away by the end of the year. Maybe the PGA adds tour stops in the places LIV was going to. Saudis continue to sportswash and the PGA gets the blood money it requires to operate. I think the day to day doesn't change all that much.
I have to wonder though; the guys like Phil who said the biggest reason for jumping to LIV was more time with family, less events and 54 holes...really, it was the payday right? So those guys will be back to playing 72 holes I guess? It's so weird, I can't compare this to anything.

I have to wonder though; the guys like Phil who said the biggest reason for jumping to LIV was more time with family, less events and 54 holes...really, it was the payday right? So those guys will be back to playing 72 holes I guess? It's so weird, I can't compare this to anything.
I'd imagine some tournaments will switch to the 54 hole setup but all the majors will still stay at 72. But yes, it was just a payday and making the PGA do what they wanted. Phil just wanted unequal revenue sharing and mandatory paydays instead of getting paid based on merit. Again, I feel sorry for all the guys like Jason Day, Hideki Matsui, Will Zalatoris, and Jon Rahm who could've made millions but stayed loyal. Now those guys get screwed as the PGA isn't going to do anything to make them whole. I hope some lawsuits come out of this still. I hope some players revolt. At a minimum, Jay Monahan needs to be out on his ass.

This is my favourite golf picture ever...

View attachment 175018
Even though I said I wasn't going to watch golf anymore, we had the Canadian Open on yesterday. I love Tommy Fleetwood, but yesterday's tourney ending was perfect. Couldn't sleep last night so I kept finding videos of the takedown on twitter and texting them to my husband. Fortunately, his phone was charging downstairs so it wasn't buzzing every time I messaged him!

Even though I said I wasn't going to watch golf anymore, we had the Canadian Open on yesterday. I love Tommy Fleetwood, but yesterday's tourney ending was perfect. Couldn't sleep last night so I kept finding videos of the takedown on twitter and texting them to my husband. Fortunately, his phone was charging downstairs so it wasn't buzzing every time I messaged him!

My mom and step-dad have Tommy in their pool but were really thrilled with how everything played out. I don't actually watch all that much golf - I'm a disc golf guy, but I dig stories like Michae Block and the Canadian Open finish very much.

Heading to the Travelers on Sunday. It’s my wife and my first PGA event. We got tickets for the suites on 17 but plan on following Rory around some of the day. Anyone have any tips for when to arrive, how to navigate the day at a live golf event? I don’t want to waste time walking around and missing actual action. A friend said don’t show up too early as it’s a long day. Any advice is appreciated!

really, it was the payday right?
Obviously. I respect the guys that admitted that outright. HV3 said it outright in a presser, and DJ discussed it in the Netflix show.

I think LIV goes away by the end of the year
The fact that Greg Norman was left in the dark tells the whole story in my mind. I imagine LIV has contracts set up though next year, so they’ll probably play out the 2024 season, maybe ‘25. I think most of the players signed 3 or 5 year contracts, but once those expire I’m sure it’s done.

The worst part of this is the players had no knowledge this was happening and most found out about it on Twitter. So all those guys that stayed with the PGA, forgoing millions to stay true to the "badge" end up getting hardly anything out of this. They all need to rally together and demand the head of the PGA step down.
I feel sorry for all the guys like Jason Day, Hideki Matsui, Will Zalatoris, and Jon Rahm who could've made millions but stayed loyal.
Regarding the money, Tom Watson had an open letter to the Jay Monahan published by Golf Digest. This was an interesting quote:
“There are widespread rumors on the Tour offering financial reparations to these players who rejected offers from LIV and remained loyal to our Tour.”

Back