"Get in the kitchen and make me some pie!" - Recipes & Cooking Thread

First attempt a proper Carbonara. Next time probably needs a little less pasta water and the pancetta being done a little less but pretty pleased with it!

View attachment 195583
Love a proper carbonara. I make it a lot at home, super quick and delicious. The kids like it too. Win.

Did you use a mix of Parmesan and pecorino?

Love a proper carbonara. I make it a lot at home, super quick and delicious. The kids like it too. Win.

Did you use a mix of Parmesan and pecorino?

Just pecorino in the sauce. Ran out of it though and used Parmesan to garnish. I need to see if I can find somewhere local that does guancale too.

Just pecorino in the sauce. Ran out of it though and used Parmesan to garnish. I need to see if I can find somewhere local that does guancale too.
I use a mix of 50g of each in with the three eggs and black pepper. Works nicely.

I cook the pancetta with three whole garlic loves that then come out when the pancetta is done.

Fresh egg pasta also speeds up the process even further. Turbo dinner!

I must admit I do cheat on the guancale and buy pre cubed smoked pancetta from the supermarket. I’d love to get the proper stuff.

I must admit I do cheat on the guancale and buy pre cubed smoked pancetta from the supermarket. I’d love to get the proper stuff.

Yeah same today. I am on the look out for a butcher or supermarket that does the guancale though!

The recipe I made today was 50g cheese and 2 eggs for one serving so I just used a whole of a little 50g bag of pre grated pecorino from Tesco lol.

Yeah same today. I am on the look out for a butcher or supermarket that does the guancale though!

The recipe I made today was 50g cheese and 2 eggs for one serving so I just used a whole of a little 50g bag of pre grated pecorino from Tesco lol.
If it works that’s all that matters!!

We’ve been keeping a sourdough starter alive for the past 3 months but haven’t made anything with it yet. It’s part of my brother in laws beloved starter that he’s shared round the family group whilst he’s in the far east on a 6 month sabbatical - he’s spreading risk but I still don’t rate his chances of having anything useable when he’s back! 😂

Wife was out for dinner this evening, was going to go for something trashy for my food post getting kids in bed but saw the pot of porcini and oyster mushrooms on the pantry shelf so whipped up a sausage, mushroom and onion risotto, poured myself a large glass of wine and settled down with some tunes.

I’ve definitely not just eaten three people’s worth of risotto…

We’ve been keeping a sourdough starter alive for the past 3 months but haven’t made anything with it yet. It’s part of my brother in laws beloved starter that he’s shared round the family group whilst he’s in the far east on a 6 month sabbatical - he’s spreading risk but I still don’t rate his chances of having anything useable when he’s back! 😂

This time I will keep it alive…

I’ve always got really nice pizza dough and bread out of them in the past but then eventually somethings happened and I’ve forgotten it…

This time I will keep it alive…

I’ve always got really nice pizza dough and bread out of them in the past but then eventually somethings happened and I’ve forgotten it…
Good luck!

They make great bread with theirs but I’m not sure I’ve got the time for that when I can get a really nice sourdough on a Saturday for £4-5 from a shop a couple of villages away.

Back