"Get in the kitchen and make me some pie!" - Recipes & Cooking Thread

Made Anthony Bourdain (RIP)‘s macaroni and cheese recipe, which uses an absurd 20oz of cheese for 16oz of pasta.

View attachment 189700
btw this was delicious but I recommend that anyone making it add a slice of American cheese or a bit of sodium citrate dissolved in water to keep all the delicious aged cheese from breaking and turning the bechamel slightly grainy.

Turned out pretty decent. The dumplings are a little stiff. I would roll them out a little thinner in the future.
IMG_5220.jpeg
I used the recipe from the other day:

However, I used the stock amounts and dumplings from this recipe:

I cooked the amount of time from the first recipe. I added the potatoes before the dumplings.

I pretty much doubled all of the meat veggies and seasonings. I also used a cornstarch slurry because flour slurries take more than minute to cook out and I was honestly a little late for dinner time.

Are there any bakers in the thread? I've been struggling to get a successful sourdough boule out this winter. I live in a very drafty apartment and we're probably 60 degrees inside on a normal day. The last couple loaves I've made haven't risen, resulting in a flat, stodgy boule that stays golden yellow and shiny, rather than deep brown and crackling.

I use the Tartine method, basically fixing a levain the night before -> mixing the dough -> 40 min rest -> add water and salt -> bulk fermentation for 4-5 hours, doing a turn (gently folding the dough on itself) every 30 minutes -> bench rest -> shaping loaves -> rise and second fermentation for ~5-6 hours.

I can't tell if I need to give these steps more time or if I'm drawing them out too much; I've been baking like this for about two years but my success only comes in summer when the ambient temperature is helping me out. I've tried using warmer water in my dough and keeping it in the oven with the light on, which keeps it at about 70 degrees.

Mitarashi Dango (みたらし団子) for dessert last night:

20240201_193703.jpg20240201_200522.jpg20240201_204112.jpg20240201_204729.jpg

Not pretty I know, although the thickened caramelization of the soy based glaze is preferable to me. Many times I've had dango where they are dipped immediately in the more liquid form of the glaze, where the appearance of the confection is more reflective and shiny. Both ways are enjoyable.

Taste great. Like I said, a little stiff. Used the King Arthur measure for measure mix (cause I’m lazy and also haven’t found a diy mix I liked and honestly it all gets a little expensive.)
I am going to try my hand at GF garlic knots, probably this weekend. I have some flour I got from Italy that is supposed to make good pizza crust. The recipe calls for flour, salt, baking powder, and full fat Greek yogurt. I will tell you how it turned out.
Flour for reference:
IMG_0354.jpeg

Are there any bakers in the thread? I've been struggling to get a successful sourdough boule out this winter. I live in a very drafty apartment and we're probably 60 degrees inside on a normal day. The last couple loaves I've made haven't risen, resulting in a flat, stodgy boule that stays golden yellow and shiny, rather than deep brown and crackling.

I use the Tartine method, basically fixing a levain the night before -> mixing the dough -> 40 min rest -> add water and salt -> bulk fermentation for 4-5 hours, doing a turn (gently folding the dough on itself) every 30 minutes -> bench rest -> shaping loaves -> rise and second fermentation for ~5-6 hours.

I can't tell if I need to give these steps more time or if I'm drawing them out too much; I've been baking like this for about two years but my success only comes in summer when the ambient temperature is helping me out. I've tried using warmer water in my dough and keeping it in the oven with the light on, which keeps it at about 70 degrees.
I used to make bread before I could no longer eat gluten. I used to do a classic boule recipe quite a bit for dinner, but not sourdough. It was similar to this recipe:

It worked every time, but this was when I lived in a subtropical climate that was huuuuuummmmmiiiddd. For your rise, do you put a bowl of warm water in the oven with the bread?
Mitarashi Dango (みたらし団子) for dessert last night:

View attachment 194318View attachment 194319View attachment 194320View attachment 194321

Not pretty I know, although the thickened caramelization of the soy based glaze is preferable to me. Many times I've had dango where they are dipped immediately in the more liquid form of the glaze, where the appearance of the confection is more reflective and shiny. Both ways are enjoyable.
Ooohhhh, I have a dango recipe saved on my recipe app. I have been threatening to make it for a while.

Happy Year of the dragon y’all:
View attachment 195021
Super vegged out fried rice and gf orange chicken (probably my best attempt yet)

Happy Lunar New Year!

I tried my hand at bulgogi and fried rice with extra veggies. Turned out better than expected but definitely room for improvement.

Attachments

• IMG_1477.jpeg
    IMG_1477.jpeg
    687.9 KB · Views: 3
We don’t sports ball but I will use them as an excuse to make trash food:
IMG_5780.jpeg
This is a plate of waffle fries covered in Nashville chicken smothered in cheese sauce, slaw, and pickles.

I regularly do chicken thighs in our Instant Pot, super easy and consistently tasty. Last night I used vegetable stock instead of chicken stock and it was noticeably better, especially using the excess juice over the white rice side dish. I'm going to switch to that method full time.

As far as the recipe:
1 to 2 lbs of boneless/skinless chicken thighs - add dry rub/seasoning of your choice.
Set IP to sauté and put in thighs alone, cook them about 4 minutes each side.
Cancel sauté mode and add 1 cup of stock, and scrape the bottom.
Put thighs back in, set to 12 minutes pressure cook, then natural release for about 10 minutes, then purge. (it's usually almost fully unpressurized by that point anyway.)
That's it!

We used a new seasoning that we got when down south and it was delicious, I'll post a pic of that later when I get home.

Back