"Get in the kitchen and make me some pie!" - Recipes & Cooking Thread

Might as well re-post my Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice recipe:

New Orleans Style Red Beans and Rice
original recipe by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, adapted for Instant Pot
  • 1 pound dry Central American (small) Red Beans, picked over
  • kosher salt
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil, bacon fat, or lard
  • 1 pound cooked andouille or other smoked sausage, cut into ½ inch thick rounds
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
  • 4 ribs celery, finely chopped
  • 4 medium cloves of garlic, minced
  • ½ tsp to 1 tbsp ground cayenne (exercise good judgment)
  • 1 tsp ground sage
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 smoked ham hock (optional, see note)
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 3 bay leaves
  • hot sauce (Crystal is traditional)
  • cider vinegar (see note)
note: pickled pork is traditional, but can be hard to find. If you've got access to it, use in place of the smoked ham hock and cider vinegar.

Set Instant Pot to saute on high heat and add oil/fat. Add sausage and saute until lightly browned, 3-5 minutes. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery. Season with salt, then cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables have softened and are just beginning to brown around the edges, about 8 minutes.

Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add cayenne pepper, sage, and 10-12 generous grinds of black pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beans, enough water to cover by about an inch (6-8 cups), ham hock (if using), thyme, and bay leaves.

Seal with lid, making sure the release valve is closed, and cook on high pressure for 70 minutes. When cook time is complete, press ‘cancel’ to end the keep-warm mode, and let sit for 15 to 20 minutes to depressurize.

Open lid and use tongs to fish out ham hock, bay leaves, and thyme stems, mash beans lightly with a wooden spoon or potato masher, if desired, and simmer on Sauté setting, stirring occasionally, until it reaches your desired texture. Season to taste with hot sauce, cider vinegar (a few teaspoons to start) and salt and pepper.

Serve over steamed rice.

Last edited:
I'm pretty excited to see where this thread goes....

Me too. I've been off my kitchen game lately, mostly just scrambling together a usual small rotation of things that are quick and easy. Heat n' serve Indian and augmented ready-made Alfredo sauce have been doing a lot of work for the wife and I through the last while, but I'm wanting to change that as our schedule settles into something a little more regular in the coming weeks. I reckon this thread will provide some great inspiration, and hopefully lead to me pulling down the cookbooks again!

20230907_094055.jpg
Most of these belonged to my step-grandfather. I only kept about 1/8 of his collection. He went to culinary school after he retired and was top of his class by a longshot - received some pretty insane job offers despite his advanced age, but turned them down!

Of the four on the shelf I purchased myself, these are my two favourites:
20230907_094130.jpg

Me too. I've been off my kitchen game lately, mostly just scrambling together a usual small rotation of things that are quick and easy. Heat n' serve Indian and augmented ready-made Alfredo sauce have been doing a lot of work for the wife and I through the last while, but I'm wanting to change that as our schedule settles into something a little more regular in the coming weeks. I reckon this thread will provide some great inspiration, and hopefully lead to me pulling down the cookbooks again!
I really feel this.

I made this pasta recently and it was delicious!

View attachment 181760
Most of these belonged to my step-grandfather. I only kept about 1/8 of his collection. He went to culinary school after he retired and was top of his class by a longshot - received some pretty insane job offers despite his advanced age, but turned them down!

Of the four on the shelf I purchased myself, these are my two favourites:
View attachment 181761
I have a Vietnamese cookbook and the Pho broth recipe is prohibitively expensive to make and if the restaurants I have pho at are making it in a similar fashion, it explains why it is so good and also boggles my mind why it doesn’t cost like $50 a bowl.

Strawberry-Rhubarb Crumb Pie​

Makes one 9-inch pie

Ingredients​

• One 9-inch unbaked pie shell, store-bought or homemade (see the similar and related recipes)
  • 2 cups of 1-inch thick rhubarb slices (about 3/4 pound)
  • 2 cups strawberries, hulled, halved if very large
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar (see notes below)
  • 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Crumb Topping
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter, preferably unsalted, softened
Preheat oven to 425° F. Combine the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, flour, lemon juice and salt. Turn into unbaked pie shell. Bake for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the crumb topping ingredients and mix with hands until large crumbs form. Drop evenly on top of the partially baked pie. Bake for about 15 minutes more or until crumbs are brown and pie is bubbly. Cool on rack before serving.

Notes: Rhubarb is tart. The strawberries provide sweetness but, depending on your taste, you might want to add up to 1/4-cup more sugar.

This is one of my favorite pies ever. I have to make it every year when Rhubarb is in season.

I have a Vietnamese cookbook and the Pho broth recipe is prohibitively expensive to make and if the restaurants I have pho at are making it in a similar fashion, it explains why it is so good and also boggles my mind why it doesn’t cost like $50 a bowl.
- shinbone (lots)
- oxtail (some)
- brisket and eye of round steak
- whatever other odds and ends you want to add for flavor
- coriander, anise, clove, cinnamon, fennel
- rock sugar
- fish sauce (I can't believe I forgot to put this, my ancestors are going to haunt me)
- onions (charred)
- ginger (charred)

You can make 15 QTs of the stuff for $75* (guesstimate).

Now I wanna know what's in this recipe of yours.

Last edited:
Ohh, gonna dig this thread. I'm the primary cook for my family.

One recent go-to is this pub style curry that we serve with 1/2 rice and 1/2 fries. Got the idea from a local english pub. I usually make a big batch so we can freeze it and use as needed.

The only variance is that we don't use the Thai chilies, add a bunch of frozen peas, and then have the chutney available after for mixing in as wanted.

- shinbone (lots)
- oxtail (some)
- rock sugar
- onions (charred)
- ginger (charred)

I know this may be blasphemous but the ingredients for Samin Nosrat’s turkey pho aren’t too prohibitive:

I haven’t tried it with beef, but the resulting broth is the closest tasting to the real thing I’ve managed at home.

I know this may be blasphemous but the ingredients for Samin Nosrat’s turkey pho aren’t too prohibitive:

I haven’t tried it with beef, but the resulting broth is the closest tasting to the real thing I’ve managed at home.

That is not at all blasphemous when comparing to the Pho stock concentrate you get with Hello Fresh meals that you mix with water.

chicken pho is totally authentic, I accept turkey as a variant.

- shinbone (lots)
- oxtail (some)
- rock sugar
- onions (charred)
- ginger (charred)

lots of oxtail.

Another good "Make a huge batch" recipe. If I'm making a bunch, I'll just put it an a dutch oven at 250 all day instead of using the instapot. The broiling step at the end is definitely needed to get some good crispiness on it.

Usually get a giant pork butt when they are on sale at costco, cook it up and have a bunch of leftovers. Really good as a quick meal w/ an egg and some veggies in instant ramen too.

A simple curry soup recipe that's easy to memorize:

• 2 tbsp oil
  • 2 tbsp curry paste - If you don't have an Asian market near you Mekhala has been the best super market version I've found. I do not like Thai Kitchen brand pastes, but if you do go ahead. I'm usually doing red curry but have made almost the exact same recipe with others. Store bought curry pastes can be wildly different so this is where you'll have to experiment.
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce
  • 2 tbsp lime juice
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 quart chicken stock/broth
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 2-3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1-2 lbs vegetables of your choice - I almost always do broccoli. Regularly add potatoes or snap peas. Bok choy or greens beans are great
  • starch - my wife likes it with rice and I like it with noodles
  • any herbs you like or have leftover for garnish
Fry the curry paste in the oil for about a minute. Now would be a good time to add any other aromatics you might want like garlic, ginger, or chilies

Add the chicken stock, coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar.

I usually cold poach the chicken breasts here if I have time, but if not I will bring the liquid to a boil and then simmer the chicken until 155F and remove. Blanch the vegetables in whatever timing makes sense. Season soup to taste with more fish sauce, lime juice, or sugar.

Pull or slice chicken and portion out with vegetables into individual servings over starch. Top with soup. Garnish with herbs.

- shinbone (lots)
- oxtail (some)
- rock sugar
- onions (charred)
- ginger (charred)

Also not for nothing, that would be $20 a gallon, translate that to Milk or Gasoline even for a moment. I mean the equivalent of a nice chicken stock costs about $8.

Back