"Get in the kitchen and make me some pie!" - Recipes & Cooking Thread

Also not for nothing, that would be $20 a gallon, translate that to Milk or Gasoline even for a moment. I mean the equivalent of a nice chicken stock costs about $8.
Yeah but chicken stock isn’t a meal. The noodles and herbs will cost you an extra $10 on top. That’s $85 for 14 bowls of Pho. $6 a bowl.

Also I’m just making up these costs. I guarantee you could do it for a lot less.

Pho is just beef broth with extra steps.

@Lee Newman sorry for sounding combative, I haven’t had coffee yet. I might just throw together some pho this weekend and report back on costs.

I would like to see the recipe you had mentioned, if it’s not too much trouble!

@Lee Newman sorry for sounding combative, I haven’t had coffee yet. I might just throw together some pho this weekend and report back on costs.

I would like to see the recipe you had mentioned, if it’s not too much trouble!
I’ll pull it out this weekend. It’s currently in a box because shelf space disappeared.

I’ll pull it out this weekend. It’s currently in a box because shelf space disappeared.
My brain is already ticking and I’m trying to decide if I source the cheapest beef possible or try this local butcher shop that probably costs an arm and a leg because it’s in the nice part of town.

Cost me about $50 for 10-11lbs of beef bones, a mixture of knuckle, neck and bone-in shank. Will report back on how much broth I get out of it.

That is not at all blasphemous when comparing to the Pho stock concentrate you get with Hello Fresh meals that you mix with water.
if we’re being totally honest, lots of pho restaurants actually produce what is essentially a gelatinous concentrate and then reconstitute it to order with boiling water. Much more efficient.

@RenegadeMonster on that note, have you used Better Than Bouillon?

Last edited:
if we’re being totally honest, lots of pho restaurants actually produce what is essentially a gelatinous concentrate and then reconstitute it to order with boiling water. Much more efficient.

There isn’t a whole host wrong with that though. Particularly if you have made it yourself. That’s essentially what the basis of a good stock is really isn’t it.

Your pho stock looks absolutely lovely!!!!

It's what I do when I make generic stocks. Concentrate it down so it takes less room in the freezer and then double it up when I use it.

I have an oniony beef bone stock and a chicken stock, both concentrated, in the freezer right now.

A general tip for people planning on making generic stocks - I keep a large ziplock in the freezer where I add scraps from my onion, celery and carrot cuttings (ends, peels, etc). You can also keep the onion peels but that'll make your broth much darker (which is great with beef broth).

Your pho stock looks absolutely lovely!!!!

It's what I do when I make generic stocks. Concentrate it down so it takes less room in the freezer and then double it up when I use it.

I have an oniony beef bone stock and a chicken stock, both concentrated, in the freezer right now.

A general tip for people planning on making generic stocks - I keep a large ziplock in the freezer where I add scraps from my onion, celery and carrot cuttings (ends, peels, etc). You can also keep the onion peels but that'll make your broth much darker (which is great with beef broth).
To your point about reserving trimmings, the same goes for poultry. Chicken necks, odds and ends from a rotisserie chicken, etc. Perfect for stock.

I really should concentrate this pho, that’s such a good idea.

To your point about reserving trimmings, the same goes for poultry. Chicken necks, odds and ends from a rotisserie chicken, etc. Perfect for stock.

I really should concentrate this pho, that’s such a good idea.

Yes! Great point. I also have freezer bags of beef, pork and poultry bones/trimmings etc as well. Raw, cooked, whatever. Rotisserie chicken carcasses are great too (there was definitely some of that in the last batch of chicken broth I made). Whatever was left behind on the cutting board before serving or cooking.

Oh, same goes with lobster, crab and shrimp shells and bits for sea food stocks. Lobster and crab are so expensive. That couple times a year where we indulge, we keep all those extras to make stock.

Have a bunch of cultured buttermilk to use up, so I’m making some bastardized cheddar biscuits. Mostly using Erin McDowell’s recipe here, but added a little extra liquid and some dried mustard since I’m using pre-shredded Mexican blend that we have on hand and I figure the starch might complicate things. Also gave each one a sprinkle of Penzey’s Arizona Dreamin’ spice blend. Will report back.

When we were talking about proper English mustard I mentioned I like to use the powder in cheeses scones and here is the recipe I use. Makes 12.

450g flour (you can use either self raising or plain flour with 6tsp baking powder)
1tsp salt
1tbsp English Mustard Powder
100g cold unsalted butter
125g Parmesan
125g grated extra mature cheddar
240ml buttermilk
1 egg beaten with a splash of butter milk to glaze before baking.

Preheated fan oven at 220 C (425F Gas Mark 7)

Sieve all the dry ingredients into a bowl to combine.

Grate in the butter and rub with the dry ingredients to create breadcrumbs.

Mix in the cheese by hand

Slowly add buttermilk combining by hand until it comes away from the bowl. Don’t overwork or worry if you don’t quite use all the buttermilk.

Put on a floured surface and roll to about an inch. Cut using a floured scone cutter (can use a normal sized mug to good effect here too). Combine the loose bits roll and cut again. Combine the leftover loose bits next time to make one rough scone.

Put on a piece of grease proof paper on baking tray. Also work a treat on a pizza stone. Glaze with the egg mixture.

Bake for 12 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack but they’re at their best warm.

Can revive stored ones with 30secs in a microwave.

Think I might make a half batch this evening…

Might as well re-post my Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice recipe:

New Orleans Style Red Beans and Rice
original recipe by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, adapted for Instant Pot
  • 1 pound dry Central American (small) Red Beans, picked over
  • kosher salt
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil, bacon fat, or lard
  • 1 pound cooked andouille or other smoked sausage, cut into ½ inch thick rounds
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
  • 4 ribs celery, finely chopped
  • 4 medium cloves of garlic, minced
  • ½ tsp to 1 tbsp ground cayenne (exercise good judgment)
  • 1 tsp ground sage
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 smoked ham hock (optional, see note)
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 3 bay leaves
  • hot sauce (Crystal is traditional)
  • cider vinegar (see note)
note: pickled pork is traditional, but can be hard to find. If you've got access to it, use in place of the smoked ham hock and cider vinegar.

Set Instant Pot to saute on high heat and add oil/fat. Add sausage and saute until lightly browned, 3-5 minutes. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery. Season with salt, then cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables have softened and are just beginning to brown around the edges, about 8 minutes.

Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add cayenne pepper, sage, and 10-12 generous grinds of black pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beans, enough water to cover by about an inch (6-8 cups), ham hock (if using), thyme, and bay leaves.

Seal with lid, making sure the release valve is closed, and cook on high pressure for 70 minutes. When cook time is complete, press ‘cancel’ to end the keep-warm mode, and let sit for 15 to 20 minutes to depressurize.

Open lid and use tongs to fish out ham hock, bay leaves, and thyme stems, mash beans lightly with a wooden spoon or potato masher, if desired, and simmer on Sauté setting, stirring occasionally, until it reaches your desired texture. Season to taste with hot sauce, cider vinegar (a few teaspoons to start) and salt and pepper.

Serve over steamed rice.
Just for some fun, I also add Italian seasoning and Cavenders Greek seasoning. I usually just make a pot of beans on the stove and slow cook them that way. Bay leaves are a necessity but after that you can get creative. I usually season the beans two to three times, dumping Italian and Greek seasoning to cover the top of the beans and then stir and let cook for a while. I normally add tasso which is something that Nirth Carolinians have no idea about. So I think if I add ham hocks and extra Tony Chachere’s seasoning might work. Also, I have never in my life used vinegar on beans. The best way to finish them off and give the dish a nice base note is with a healthy dollup of good olive oil. I also start my beans with olive oil, not vegetable oil but it might be because Scicillians taught me to cook. Oh and if you cook your beans on the stove, don’t add salt until your beans are soft. It can impede your beans creaming up.

My newest foray is vegetarian cooking which can be tricky to do gluten free. I’m in love with crispy tofu stir fry.

Back