"Get in the kitchen and make me some pie!" - Recipes & Cooking Thread

Made chicken pho today. It’s dumb how much cheaper it is than beef. H-Mart had chicken drumsticks for $0.99 a pound. Bought a family pack of those for under 7 bucks, threw in a frozen rotisserie chicken carcass I’ve had sitting around. Cost me basically $15 to make around 7 quarts of broth. Bingo bango.

¡I made pork ragú!

1 kg (2 lb) of pork butt
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic flakes
1 tbsp oregano
1/2 cup of tomato extract
1 can of tomatos (I used pasta sauce)
1 can of water
Placed it all together in the crockpot, and let it cook on low overnight. So between 8 and 12 hours.
Pull apart the pork while still hot.

You can add all the spices you want. This is just a variation on a crockpot carnitar recipe I found some time ago.
You could also put whole garlic cloves and onions to the mix.

20231005_201812.jpg20231005_202218.jpg20231007_184754.jpg

Do you love bread? Do you buy in bulk and then have leftover hard, stale bread? Well, this may help. ¡Bread pudding!

I had half a loaf of sourdough and about 3 feet of baguette left over from like 6 days ago. No longer good for anything, except bread pudding.

Cut the bread you have available into smaller pieces. You should have between half a pound and a whole pound of bread (300 g to 500 g).
In a large bowl mix 1 cup of white sugar and 5 to 7 eggs. The more bread you have you'll need more eggs for a fluffier texture.
Once that's all mixed add a good teaspoon or two of vanilla extract and a quart (one liter) of milk. I use lactose free milk, but you can use whole, half and half, whatever you want.
Mix the whole thing thoroughly and add the pieces of bread. Let the bread soak in for half an hour to an hour.
While the bread soaks you can prepare some caramel for the bottom of the mold. Add a quarter cup to a third cup of sugar to a pan. Let it sit on low heat until the sugar dissolves into a liquid brown mixture. Stir that and put that mixture in the bottom of a pudding mold.
Then pour the bread mix in the pudding mold on top of the caramel.
The mold should be placed in a pan with boiling water for bain-marie, and then put the whole thing inside the oven at 350 °F (180 °C) for about an hour.
Take the mold out of the oven and let it cool before flipping it upside down.
Enjoy cold, maybe with some dulce de leche on top. Whipped cream or peanut butter are good too.
Added bonus, instead of caramel put sliced apples or pears for some additional flavor

20231009_185832.jpg

20231009_200646.jpg
20231010_122048.jpg
20231013_133358.jpg

Alright y’all. So even though I’m from the south, grits are something I have only come to appreciate in the last ten years or so. Prior to that, I ate them once or twice a year mostly to remind myself that I didn’t like them. My wife loves them and I spent a lot of time trying to figure how to make them edible so that I could enjoy them too. My wife doesn’t really order grits anymore as a result of my efforts.

I’ve tried a lot of different kinds of grits, mill types and everything else and been through about twenty different recipes. I currently make the best grits I’ve ever had anywhere bar none.

First thing is buy quality. That’s been the biggest lesson. Chances are your local grocery store doesn’t have quality grits unless you live in the south and your grocer has a nice local foods section.

Don’t be too concerned though, these are my grit of choice currently. Yeah, they are kind of expensive, but well worth it:

Okay so here’s the deal, you need to whisk them but you don’t need to whisk them constantly for an hour. If you do do this you will have a better grit, but it’s kind of like the difference between a 20000 turntable and a 25000 turntable. There’s a difference but is it worth $5000 extra??? That’s up to you. The following is a fool proof way to make grits without a ridiculous amount of effort.

Ingredients
1 cup grits (you will need a stone or water milled grit, I’ve never tried this with the fine milled Quaker stuff and you definitely do not want to do this with a “quick” or “instant” product)
2 1/2 cups water (while I am normally a fan of substituting stock for water in a recipe, but I never made grits I liked with a stock. Also use cold filtered water.)
1 1/2 cups half and half
2 tbsp butter or to taste (better butter better grits - I use kerrygold salted)
2 tsp salt or to taste

Put all ingredients in a medium (2 or 2 1/2 quart) sauce pot. Whisk vigorously to combine. Heat over medium heat until it boils, whisk (a nice leisurely whisk is all you need) the entire time.

When it boils, place a lid on the pot and turn down to low. Stir every five or ten minutes (be certain to scrap the bottom sides of the pan when you do this) and cook for 1/2 hour to 1 hour until the grits are bloomed to your preference and the consistency you’d like. (The marsh hen product I recommend above takes about 45 minutes - it will vary depending on the product and fineness of the mill)

Let rest for five minutes or so off the heat before serving. I usual put another half tablespoon of butter a serving. My wife also adds salt (although after years I have gotten her to taste food before she seasons at the table)

Alright y’all. So even though I’m from the south, grits are something I have only come to appreciate in the last ten years or so. Prior to that, I ate them once or twice a year mostly to remind myself that I didn’t like them. My wife loves them and I spent a lot of time trying to figure how to make them edible so that I could enjoy them too. My wife doesn’t really order grits anymore as a result of my efforts.

I’ve tried a lot of different kinds of grits, mill types and everything else and been through about twenty different recipes. I currently make the best grits I’ve ever had anywhere bar none.

First thing is buy quality. That’s been the biggest lesson. Chances are your local grocery store doesn’t have quality grits unless you live in the south and your grocer has a nice local foods section.

Don’t be too concerned though, these are my grit of choice currently. Yeah, they are kind of expensive, but well worth it:

Okay so here’s the deal, you need to whisk them but you don’t need to whisk them constantly for an hour. If you do do this you will have a better grit, but it’s kind of like the difference between a 20000 turntable and a 25000 turntable. There’s a difference but is it worth $5000 extra??? That’s up to you. The following is a fool proof way to make grits without a ridiculous amount of effort.

Ingredients
1 cup grits (you will need a stone or water milled grit, I’ve never tried this with the fine milled Quaker stuff and you definitely do not want to do this with a “quick” or “instant” product)
2 1/2 cups water (while I am normally a fan of substituting stock for water in a recipe, but I never made grits I liked with a stock. Also use cold filtered water.)
1 1/2 cups half and half
2 tbsp butter or to taste (better butter better grits - I use kerrygold salted)
2 tsp salt or to taste

Put all ingredients in a medium (2 or 2 1/2 quart) sauce pot. Whisk vigorously to combine. Heat over medium heat until it boils, whisk (a nice leisurely whisk is all you need) the entire time.

When it boils, place a lid on the pot and turn down to low. Stir every five or ten minutes (be certain to scrap the bottom sides of the pan when you do this) and cook for 1/2 hour to 1 hour until the grits are bloomed to your preference and the consistency you’d like. (The marsh hen product I recommend above takes about 45 minutes - it will vary depending on the product and fineness of the mill)

Let rest for five minutes or so off the heat before serving. I usual put another half tablespoon of butter a serving. My wife also adds salt (although after years I have gotten her to taste food before she seasons at the table)
Question: ¿is grits similar to polenta? ¿is it American polenta?
I've never had grits and I'm googling the ingredients and it looks like polenta.
It certainly cooks in a similar way. Although I add diced onions and cheese. And it mostly serves as a side dish to some ragu or stew.

Question: ¿is grits similar to polenta? ¿is it American polenta?
I've never had grits and I'm googling the ingredients and it looks like polenta.
It certainly cooks in a similar way. Although I add diced onions and cheese. And it mostly serves as a side dish to some ragu or stew.
It is very similar. Tends to be white corn. In the south it can be the base for a stew or there is always shrimp and grits. Most of the time, it’s just a side dish to a big ole breakfast. Often times it has cheese or bacon in it. Tends to be a little coarser than most polentas I’ve used and does not get quite as creamy. But yeah, milled dried corn.

It is very similar. Tends to be white corn. In the south it can be the base for a stew or there is always shrimp and grits. Most of the time, it’s just a side dish to a big ole breakfast. Often times it has cheese or bacon in it. Tends to be a little coarser than most polentas I’ve used and does not get quite as creamy. But yeah, milled dried corn.
I guess I'll have to get some grits shipped here and try it for my self. Thanks!

When we were on vacation week before last, we went apple picking, brought home a bushel. Made apple butter and am canning it for the first time. What mad scientist figured this out? I got my mom’s water bath after she died. I seriously don’t see her having the patience for this, but she definitely used to do it when I was a kid.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a vegan, or at least dairy free recipe for green bean casserole? I found a couple online, but wouldn't mind hearing from someone that has tried it or has a go-to.

Does anyone have a vegan, or at least dairy free recipe for green bean casserole? I found a couple online, but wouldn't mind hearing from someone that has tried it or has a go-to.
I mean, you could modify a cream of mushroom soup recipe to be dairy free/vegan and then make a regular recipe.

I was actually going to post a similar sort of thing... how many people have to make like other whole recipes (not like stocks) to make things?

My absolute favorite thing to do with leftover turkey is a recipe from my Grandma called Supper soup. It's 2 cans of golden mushroom soup, some sauteed onions and garlic, a can of tomatoes, water or stock to finish the soup, basil, turkey and egg noodles. Because of my wife's Celiac, I have to make the golden mushroom soup which makes a better soup altogether.

Hey, @nolalady have you found a decent GF egg noodle?

I mean, you could modify a cream of mushroom soup recipe to be dairy free/vegan and then make a regular recipe.

I was actually going to post a similar sort of thing... how many people have to make like other whole recipes (not like stocks) to make things?

My absolute favorite thing to do with leftover turkey is a recipe from my Grandma called Supper soup. It's 2 cans of golden mushroom soup, some sauteed onions and garlic, a can of tomatoes, water or stock to finish the soup, basil, turkey and egg noodles. Because of my wife's Celiac, I have to make the golden mushroom soup which makes a better soup altogether.

Hey, @nolalady have you found a decent GF egg noodle?
Not yet. I haven’t been doing too many noodles lately.

Back