Gardening

Anyone have any advice / input about building/designing retaining walls. I know it isn't cheap. I can do some of the labor myself but think I want a professional wall builder. Will surround 3 sides of my lot, about 325 ft long and 4 ft. high (max). Will also have some patio build associated.

This is something I have to consider in the future.

I have a lot of experience more so with big block like ReCon. Not something you could really self-install. I know Allan Block fairly well. I've also done work with Versa Lok which oddly enough is in your neighborhood. I don't know why, but when I read your location I just assumed New Orleans...

Reading Rock is another company I have done a lot of work with and I could put you in touch with them. Not sure how far out they go, but I know they have regional offices.

Generally what does it take to do a project like this? I’m always scared about how much a thing like this will cost. dYI would be tough I think. There is also a gas line that runs through the area thee as t needs to be retained. We have a rail road tie wall that is really aged and needs to be replaced.

Generally what does it take to do a project like this? I’m always scared about how much a thing like this will cost. dYI would be tough I think. There is also a gas line that runs through the area thee as t needs to be retained. We have a rail road tie wall that is really aged and needs to be replaced.
I never deal with the money side. I usually just provide a design section and then it goes out to bid. I know they aren't cheap. My gut tells me they start at $10k and go up from there. 300 feet at 4 feet high adds up quick.

I never deal with the money side. I usually just provide a design section and then it goes out to bid. I know they aren't cheap. My gut tells me they start at $10k and go up from there. 300 feet at 4 feet high adds up quick.

Yea this would be about 20’ and 2’ high (at most)

20 feet long? and 2 feet high? That sounds like a fun weekend project and maybe $1,000 from Home Depot.

yea...How much is the plane ticket from ohio to La? It is something that would require some tree stump removal. The wall is diving a slope as well. I should talk to my neighbor. They redid their front yard, had to do some retaining wall construction and he’s an engineer.

yea...How much is the plane ticket from ohio to La? It is something that would require some tree stump removal. The wall is diving a slope as well. I should talk to my neighbor. They redid their front yard, had to do some retaining wall construction and he’s an engineer.
Yeah, if you wall is holding back a slope, it shouldn't only be two feet high...

That is what’s there currently! Granted it is two sections of two ft. One low and one high.
I think I recall seeing your yard situation before. I would definitely pick your neighbors brain about how best to approach your walls. Although if I know engineers, he will be conservative and you probably wont like the cost of what he's suggesting.

Terraced walls are complicated to design because there is compounding loads transferred to the lowest wall. I think what you have in place now was more for erosion and to create planting areas rather than hold back a slope. Have you looked into cellular confinement systems?

These can be used as slope reinforcement or as a green wall where you can plant the cells to help with erosion. Installation is finicky, but it might be a cheaper option?

I think I recall seeing your yard situation before. I would definitely pick your neighbors brain about how best to approach your walls. Although if I know engineers, he will be conservative and you probably wont like the cost of what he's suggesting.

Terraced walls are complicated to design because there is compounding loads transferred to the lowest wall. I think what you have in place now was more for erosion and to create planting areas rather than hold back a slope. Have you looked into cellular confinement systems?

These can be used as slope reinforcement or as a green wall where you can plant the cells to help with erosion. Installation is finicky, but it might be a cheaper option?

I do like this idea. Looks easer to install also. I’m going to have to consult the one landscaper I know.

I will say that one of the great things about waking up early before work as the summer begins is spending some time drinking coffee while doing some light gardening.

Need help identifying this plant. Came from a batch of donations from a neighbor of a friend.

EEA6774B-86D8-4B72-9BFE-213718A62A8A.jpeg

This one was easier to identify as Bee balm. And it sent off a few blooms recently. I think I’ll track some more down and see if we get some hummingbirds.

E659B30A-816C-423A-AA58-B4156CA71134.jpeg

Need help identifying this plant. Came from a batch of donations from a neighbor of a friend.

View attachment 105185

This one was easier to identify as Bee balm. And it sent off a few blooms recently. I think I’ll track some more down and see if we get some hummingbirds.

View attachment 105186

There is an app called INaturalist that is always recommended on my CA native plant FB page.

The three cherry tomato and three normal tomato plants have merged into one enormous jungle of tomatoes. God help me.
View attachment 106898
That happened to ours last year so we really spaced them out more this year and got fewer plants overall and they're STILL trying to merge into a big tomato blob!

Our garden is coming into full swing. Averaging 3-4 cucumbers a day on our trellised plant. Tomatoes are starting to ripen so we're getting 1 every other day or so but that number will go way up soon.

Peppers haven't been as active this year, but our banana peppers have given us probably 10 total so far.

Biggest shock is ZERO zucchini so far this year even though the plant is huge. The 3 corn stalks around them are coming in with cobs - I think there's 4 or so growing so far.

Back