Gardening

Randomly found some neon pothos at Home Depot the other day! :love: Been on the hunt for these for months. For some reason, they’re hard to find in person. I would’ve bought more but my husband was with me so I had to show some restraint. Currently, have them quarantined in the bathroom. AC5C2E75-7779-47FC-9E61-4302B2DB10BE.jpeg

There has not been much rain here this year, but fall planting season is coming. I have a lot of work to do between then and now. Plan and install a sprinkler system, plant about 20+ plants and do some rock work on a dry stream bed I dug out.

Randomly found some neon pothos at Home Depot the other day! :love: Been on the hunt for these for months. For some reason, they’re hard to find in person. I would’ve bought more but my husband was with me so I had to show some restraint. Currently, have them quarantined in the bathroom. View attachment 107852

What kind of light do these need inside? I have some that also came from a home despot i think that is in an outdoor basket that gets a fair amount of sun but if i can overwinter indoors i'd like to try. i have it mixed-in with something i don't know the name of but has a little purple fuzzy ball flower - looks ok

What kind of light do these need inside? I have some that also came from a home despot i think that is in an outdoor basket that gets a fair amount of sun but if i can overwinter indoors i'd like to try. i have it mixed-in with something i don't know the name of but has a little purple fuzzy ball flower - looks ok
It depends on where you live if you should/can keep it indoor, outdoor, or rotate it around. I live in Vegas (zone 9a) and it's best to not keep them in direct sun because the leaves will burn. The lighter color foliage is more prone to burning too. I keep most of mine in indirect light next to a window, but not where they spend all day in the sun. Do you have a picture of the "little purple fuzzy ball flower"? It would help to ID it so that whatever plants are sharing a pot have compatible care needs.

Here are some links that helped me take care of the different pothos I have:

I need to dump a full garden update here, as I’ve proudly converted the mud pit of a yard we inherited into something of an intentional garden. This weekend I’ll be squirrel proofing some strawberry plants, so I’ll get some pics then, and try to hunt down some good before shots.

But, what I want to share today is that I spotted a sparrow building a nest in the passionflower vines outside our front door. We took a peek, and found a nest:
27DF0CCA-2573-463A-B904-7F9CE29CC87F.jpeg

And just yesterday, we discovered they’ve hatched:
E2C70F2E-4517-4EF6-BCF7-87557E9151C1.jpeg
Needless to say, we’re stoked. We’d names the mother Biddy, and now that the eggs are hatched, we’ve gone with Daryl, Larry, Daryl, and Bob.

I need to dump a full garden update here, as I’ve proudly converted the mud pit of a yard we inherited into something of an intentional garden. This weekend I’ll be squirrel proofing some strawberry plants, so I’ll get some pics then, and try to hunt down some good before shots.

But, what I want to share today is that I spotted a sparrow building a nest in the passionflower vines outside our front door. We took a peek, and found a nest:
View attachment 138802

And just yesterday, we discovered they’ve hatched:
View attachment 138803
Needless to say, we’re stoked. We’d names the mother Biddy, and now that the eggs are hatched, we’ve gone with Daryl, Larry, Daryl, and Bob.

Those eggs are beautiful. We have birds that makes nests in the eaves of one our overhang. We don’t get to see the nests though.

We have a city wide bulky item pickup that comes through our neighborhood in March and during that time this year I picked up someone's discarded cedar chest and converted it into a raised bed. That got me bit by the bug and now I basically want to cover my yard in raised beds.

There's two major obstacles; cost as usual, but also everything is on a steep slope. I was seriously considering building custom beds to match the slope but started thinking about the potential for the slope to erode out and also that the beds are 100% useless outside of the spot they were constructed in. So now, I'm left considering how much effort is involved in leveling. For the moment I think I want to just dig out the perimeter and put all the spoils right back in the beds.

I'd really rather just do this once. For a perfectly level area using treated lumber exterior frames on corrugated metal inners makes sense. But with them set into the hillsides I feel like I should go 100% metal since there will be below grade contact all the time for the exterior portion. Vego et al beds are prohibitively expensive.

That's all for now. Lot of thinking and zero doing.

We have a city wide bulky item pickup that comes through our neighborhood in March and during that time this year I picked up someone's discarded cedar chest and converted it into a raised bed. That got me bit by the bug and now I basically want to cover my yard in raised beds.

There's two major obstacles; cost as usual, but also everything is on a steep slope. I was seriously considering building custom beds to match the slope but started thinking about the potential for the slope to erode out and also that the beds are 100% useless outside of the spot they were constructed in. So now, I'm left considering how much effort is involved in leveling. For the moment I think I want to just dig out the perimeter and put all the spoils right back in the beds.

I'd really rather just do this once. For a perfectly level area using treated lumber exterior frames on corrugated metal inners makes sense. But with them set into the hillsides I feel like I should go 100% metal since there will be below grade contact all the time for the exterior portion. Vego et al beds are prohibitively expensive.

I don’t know how steep the slope is or how precise you want it to look. But if you want a more natural look, I would just bury some boulders and backfill the areas behind them.

Any reason why you can't dig into the slope and make a retaining wall of some kind? How steep is steep? Inquiring minds want to know...

Back