Gardening

Yep, I plan on getting more. This plant isn’t native to my area. I should really get that one, but it’s less attractive.
Which type have you bought? I haven't planted any but have a good amount growing. However, it is mostly Tropical Milkweed, which I have recently learned may not be the ideal species to grow outside of Mexico. I do have one native tuberosa Milkweed that seems to do just as well, so I am thinking I should start trying to propagate it and try some other native types.

We put two eggs in jars last year as a project for the boys to watch them grow and successfully released them both.

Which type have you bought? I haven't planted any but have a good amount growing. However, it is mostly Tropical Milkweed, which I have recently learned may not be the ideal species to grow outside of Mexico. I do have one native tuberosa Milkweed that seems to do just as well, so I am thinking I should start trying to propagate it and try some other native types.

We put two eggs in jars last year as a project for the boys to watch them grow and successfully released them both.

yes the tropical milkweed has a tendency to halt their migration.

I planted this one. It’s more of a Nor Ca species.

This is the one specific to my area. I see it all the time in the summer on hikes.

both go completely dormant in the winter. I wasn’t prepared for how dormant though. This plant retreated into the ground. There was not even a stick above ground. The leaves stared sprouting a couple of weeks ago.

We got the garden started this week.
Broccoli, yellow and orange peppers, carrots, green beans and cucumber.
Lots of herbs this year too...parsley, rosemary, basil, oregano, chives, and thyme.
The black plastic is laid down so I can take out the grass around the beds and put down pea gravel. And at some point this spring/summer I’m making a paver path to the toolshed.

20210519_195742.jpg20210519_195729.jpg

We got the garden started this week.
Broccoli, yellow and orange peppers, carrots, green beans and cucumber.
Lots of herbs this year too...parsley, rosemary, basil, oregano, chives, and thyme.
The black plastic is laid down so I can take out the grass around the beds and put down pea gravel. And at some point this spring/summer I’m making a paver path to the toolshed.

View attachment 100198View attachment 100199

I’m waiting to get the price on my AC install before I go out to get the river rock to define the bed borders and set up the dry stream bed.

I think I’m gonna go with a decomposed granite base to lay the larger stones in.

I’ve been wanting these flowers for a while. This is currently blooming in my yard after two years of taking care of this plant. This plant is endemic to my area, meaning it doesn’t grow in other areas of the world without human help.

Attachments

• 18613284-B1F4-454E-8A48-FC299E0BD12B.jpeg
    18613284-B1F4-454E-8A48-FC299E0BD12B.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 3
Hey y’all!
wondering if y’all could help me... these little roots are growing all over our trees after the terrible winter storm, and they’re growing fast. Any way to get rid of them?
So after some research... the only way to keep them under control is to mow them or rip them up. They are a big part of the tree, and putting anything that kills it, will kill the tree. So, putting on my gloves and starting to pull

About two dozen juicy, sweet strawberries picked so far this season from our plant from last year. It's easily tripled in size this year already.

Getting tons of little tomato plants sprouting - guessing from tomatoes that fell into the garden last year. Need to figure out what to do with them. Might save 2 or 3 for the other raised bed? Dunno, don't want to overcrowd it.

We are spoiled to have SO MANY good farms near bye, fresh raspberries have been our favorite this month. But we do have a herb garden.

Any good tips on keeping hanging flower baskets blooming big and not fading out other than Miracle Grow ? I know there is a soak trick but we hate to take them down.

Anyone have any advice / input about building/designing retaining walls. I know it isn't cheap. I can do some of the labor myself but think I want a professional wall builder. Will surround 3 sides of my lot, about 325 ft long and 4 ft. high (max). Will also have some patio build associated.

Anyone have any advice / input about building/designing retaining walls. I know it isn't cheap. I can do some of the labor myself but think I want a professional wall builder. Will surround 3 sides of my lot, about 325 ft long and 4 ft. high (max). Will also have some patio build associated.
I can help with this somewhat. More from a designer standpoint. Do you know what product you are going with?

The big mistakes I see all the time with these walls is that people don't put down at least 6 inches of compacted crushed stone as a base and that they don't bury any of the block. The stone base helps with leveling and sliding resistance, and burying a portion of the wall also helps with sliding resistance. Usually a 4 foot wall would need at least 6 to 8 inches of block buried.

The other mistake would be poor drainage behind the wall. I would recommend at least a layer of pea gravel connected to a drain (leading to daylight every 40 feet of wall) will help keep hydrostatic pressure from bowing the wall or causing the top to lean from frost heave. Although, you being in the south, frost will probably not be an issue... Drainage will still play a big role in long-term stability of your wall.

You can also increase the stability of your wall by increasing the batter angle but the maximum will be dictated by the product you buy.

I can help with this somewhat. More from a designer standpoint. Do you know what product you are going with?

The big mistakes I see all the time with these walls is that people don't put down at least 6 inches of compacted crushed stone as a base and that they don't bury any of the block. The stone base helps with leveling and sliding resistance, and burying a portion of the wall also helps with sliding resistance. Usually a 4 foot wall would need at least 6 to 8 inches of block buried.

The other mistake would be poor drainage behind the wall. I would recommend at least a layer of pea gravel connected to a drain (leading to daylight every 40 feet of wall) will help keep hydrostatic pressure from bowing the wall or causing the top to lean from frost heave. Although, you being in the south, frost will probably not be an issue... Drainage will still play a big role in long-term stability of your wall.

You can also increase the stability of your wall by increasing the batter angle but the maximum will be dictated by the product you buy.

Thanks... i'm in MN so frost and frozen ground is definitely an issue. I worked professionally as a landscaper 20 yrs ago and have some experience installing the pre-fab stone walls (uni-block). The base, backfill, and drainage are super important.

I like the look of natural stone more, but i know that can significantly increase costs. Do you have any stone or stone system recommendations?

Thanks... i'm in MN so frost and frozen ground is definitely an issue. I worked professionally as a landscaper 20 yrs ago and have some experience installing the pre-fab stone walls (uni-block). The base, backfill, and drainage are super important.

I like the look of natural stone more, but i know that can significantly increase costs. Do you have any stone or stone system recommendations?
I have a lot of experience more so with big block like ReCon. Not something you could really self-install. I know Allan Block fairly well. I've also done work with Versa Lok which oddly enough is in your neighborhood. I don't know why, but when I read your location I just assumed New Orleans...

Reading Rock is another company I have done a lot of work with and I could put you in touch with them. Not sure how far out they go, but I know they have regional offices.

Last edited:
Back