Gardening

Time. money, willpower? Depending on where and for how far the measurements are taken the slope is between 10% and 20%.
Wow yeah that’s pretty steep. Almost a 2H:1V at 20%. The reason I asked was with slopes that steep is bedrock shallow and will moving too much dirt around cause unintended slope issues. Building up too much dirt could overload a slip plane and cause all your hard work to go with it.

I know you don’t want to but the best idea maybe just landscaping timber. I’ve also seen some clever stuff done with cinder blocks where the cells actually get planted out too.

Wow yeah that’s pretty steep. Almost a 2H:1V at 20%. The reason I asked was with slopes that steep is bedrock shallow and will moving too much dirt around cause unintended slope issues. Building up too much dirt could overload a slip plane and cause all your hard work to go with it.

I know you don’t want to but the best idea maybe just landscaping timber. I’ve also seen some clever stuff done with cinder blocks where the cells actually get planted out too.
Ordered a couple of vegogarden metal planters (32" high). Plan is to just trench out and level the perimeter leaving everything inside and outside undisturbed. Projected arrival is late September.

Seems like I'm the only posting here these days, but oh well.

Got influenced by some targeted ads and I picked up some galvanized and painted raised beds. Got 5 yards of dirt coming in next week so now I'm under the gun to get some seeds in the ground. (Also just noticed these were the same one's @debianlinux purchased last year)...

I'll have two 8'x4' beds about 18" tall on the side yard which should be plenty of space to keep me busy.

Will update with photos.

My planters are compost piles right now as I work through a separation that eats up a lot of my time, energy, and sanity right now. My mom is visiting for the week. She works at a nursery for her retirement gig. She brought me this super cool strawberry planter and a pile of herbs to put in my repurposed cedar chest planter. It's been raining non stop since.

868E2B71-D485-4D92-BA30-B7A57D7013EE.jpeg
C6F18477-3133-4A1B-9D58-E41E8ED2BC65.jpeg

Let me pop a couple Aleve and head on down. My back is still very cranky from shoveling 4 yards of dirt. And moving the rock. And screwing all 3000 of those damn screws in to the beds.
Yeah the screws... I did the taller beds and the middle screw was just out of arm's reach to be able to hold one side and work the other.

Probably my best shot from going to the Carrizo Plains the other weekend. My balcony container garden of CA natives, with some blooms.

Attachments

• DEEFAE27-A048-4A06-B2DE-FC479DEDC7FE.jpeg
    DEEFAE27-A048-4A06-B2DE-FC479DEDC7FE.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 802AF6CB-999E-4054-B938-9A1BB13005D5.jpeg
    802AF6CB-999E-4054-B938-9A1BB13005D5.jpeg
    373 KB · Views: 4
  • 3F48EAA1-94C6-420A-83B4-8FC76B8157FE.jpeg
    3F48EAA1-94C6-420A-83B4-8FC76B8157FE.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 881112BE-E0F6-4278-913E-1137FFEC20E1.jpeg
    881112BE-E0F6-4278-913E-1137FFEC20E1.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 4
Also I “finished” the back part beyond the new raised beds with some volunteers of lavender from the front garden and some new bee balm to go along with some donated bee balm and catmint.

4936DA4F-B96F-4ACE-882C-B21A41DCF085.jpeg

The rock is all from farm fields I’ve done soils studies in so it’s nice to not have spend a fortune on border stone.

Also I “finished” the back part beyond the new raised beds with some volunteers of lavender from the front garden and some new bee balm to go along with some donated bee balm and catmint.

View attachment 173237

The rock is all from farm fields I’ve done soils studies in so it’s nice to not have spend a fortune on border stone.

I live right next to a dry riverbed. Unfortunately it’s pretty well policed and fenced in because of the homeless population. But I always wanted to take 5 gallon buckets out there and just gather rocks. That looks like a perfect spot for an herb garden.

Did some work this weekend to tidy things up in the front yard. Relocated some aster and the fading grape hyacinths over to the left with the salvia. Replanted the border with more lithodora since that blue was such a hit this year. Followed all that up with a boatload of mulch and I’d say she’s in a good spot for the summer.

Last edited:
Back