Gardening

They don't like standing water. So if you are putting it in the ground make sure it's someplace that's well-drained and add a lot of grit / sand to the soil to promote drainage. I don't think they are super nutrient intensive but need a good balanced fertilizer once a quarter or so. They are susceptible to wind damage and frost if exposed for more than a couple hours but are hardier than people think. They work well in giant pots too if you need to move them around or protect against cold nights / wind.
Thanks for this.
I was thinking about putting in a pot for a year or two until it gets a little bigger. I'm concerned about wind damage since this year's hurricanes are supposed to be bad, so I think I might just re-use an old pot for now. It's a hybrid tree and it has something on the tag about being a pink lemon tree. I was very interested so I decided to take it home with me.

My wife's project this year is to build a bunch of raised beds all over the backyard. They're constructed out of bent tin roofing pieces with a wooden ledge at the top. Right now, they're all over the place in the back and not in the ground properly yet. I'm apprehensive about how the whole thing will look, but it's too early anyway. At the moment, seedlings are still growing in the house (or moving outside during the day when it's nice out). I'll take photos when it's done.

Thanks for this.
I was thinking about putting in a pot for a year or two until it gets a little bigger. I'm concerned about wind damage since this year's hurricanes are supposed to be bad, so I think I might just re-use an old pot for now. It's a hybrid tree and it has something on the tag about being a pink lemon tree. I was very interested so I decided to take it home with me.
I kept one in a pot for a while to let it grow bigger. It made it easier to take care of it during inclement weather why just rolling it inside. Oh that reminds me, make sure you put the pot on a rolling thingy to save your back when moving it around.

Hey y’all!
wondering if y’all could help me... these little roots are growing all over our trees after the terrible winter storm, and they’re growing fast. Any way to get rid of them?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 16
Hey y’all!
wondering if y’all could help me... these little roots are growing all over our trees after the terrible winter storm, and they’re growing fast. Any way to get rid of them?
If they are root suckers, my understanding is that all you can do is keep trimming them. An herbicide would harm the tree as well. Short of getting rid of the tree that is. I'm not sure if it is caused by stress if you can expect them to stop or not. I'm certainly not an expert though.

Hey y’all!

Are they growing from the tree or from the area around the tree? Have you seen them in the area in previous years? If they are root suckers (small trees going from the root base of the tree) then your best option is cutting them off at ground level and just staying on top of it as they grow back. If they're something else springing up around the tree it may be something you can get rid of by covering them and blocking the light either with some plastic or you could try cardboard as a mulch. You could also use an herbicide if you are comfortable doing so, but read the instructions, don't over apply, use protective equipment, etc.

Maybe sending a picture like this to a local garden center would help you identify exactly what the plant is and they can provide some advice.

This is the gardening AND landscaping thread right?
I didn't get to the garden this weekend as I initially planned, but I did the front; weeded and cleaned up, planted some geraniums, got the new porch pots and baskets and laid mulch. We also gathered the items we're planting in the garden, those will get in the ground today or tomorrow.

The lawn, eh, I am going natural. I'm done trying...I've been here 20 years and have only had a good lawn for like three of them. I just keep it mowed short, it's green and looks ok from a distance. I might introduce more clover.

20210516_130711.jpg

Planted my peppers yesterday. Doing jalapeños again and adding red and orange bell peppers. Have them in a circle surrounding what will be a tomato plant. We overcrowded the garden last year, so being more careful to give space but also situate complimentary plants near each other.

This is the gardening AND landscaping thread right?
I didn't get to the garden this weekend as I initially planned, but I did the front; weeded and cleaned up, planted some geraniums, got the new porch pots and baskets and laid mulch. We also gathered the items we're planting in the garden, those will get in the ground today or tomorrow.

The lawn, eh, I am going natural. I'm done trying...I've been here 20 years and have only had a good lawn for like three of them. I just keep it mowed short, it's green and looks ok from a distance. I might introduce more clover.

View attachment 99630

Just rip out the patches of lawn and hang out with these guys

I bought some alternative lawn mix and am going to try that in a couple areas. But, I can't say for sure the city would enjoy me having a full on wildflower garden instead of a front lawn.

There are ways to make it look more traditional. Use the wild flowers in the border with large shrubs. Honestly you will have a lot more wildlife in your yard, insects and birds. I’m looking into getting a barn owl box. The neighbors have been cussing downs trees lately. We used to have hawks. I hear an owl if I wake up in the middle of the night.

Back