Gardening

Anybody have some good idea of what to do with cherry tomatoes? This is the third harvest this size and I’m kind of sick of the usual pasta options…

View attachment 179279

One of our favorites is a bit of work, but it is sooo good! Recipe is from the cookbook Plenty by Ottolenghi

The website's picture isn't that great, but it is supposed to look like this when finished:
OIP.1UXPK2vdjcI2z3TYgkYlcwHaHa

Lessons learned from carrots; don’t plant too close and don’t pick too early. All in all pretty happy with what came out of a 2x2 foot square.

View attachment 179362

Roast those right up and serve with steak. Had roasted carrots and fingerling potatoes mixed together as a side to steak when I went out to eat a couple weeks back. Soo good.

My wife planted a bunch of sweet corn in two of the raised beds in the yard. Seems like a racoon got to it last night and completely decimated the whole thing. It's a carnage out there. Half eaten cobs on the lawn. The stalks all broken. The wife is pissed and somehow we also can't stop laughing about it too.

My wife planted a bunch of sweet corn in two of the raised beds in the yard. Seems like a racoon got to it last night and completely decimated the whole thing. It's a carnage out there. Half eaten cobs on the lawn. The stalks all broken. The wife is pissed and somehow we also can't stop laughing about it too.
That raccoon probably had a hell of a feast. Surprised you didn’t catch him passed out on the lawn the next morning.

Still about 20-30 more jalapeños on the plants and I have had to figure out more ways to cook them. This afternoon was poppers with a cream cheese block my coworker sent through his smoker. I have no idea how he did it but it was magic and added the perfect flavor to these.

IMG_0250.jpeg

Trying to keep the winter blues away with an Aerogarden. First time trying hydroponics. So far so good!
I sprung for the Harvest XL plus Aerovoir water tank.

PXL_20231205_213843843.jpg

Basil -------------------- Mizuna lettuce
------Romaine---Parsley------
Thyme ----------------- Sungold Cherry tomato

Trying to keep the winter blues away with an Aerogarden. First time trying hydroponics. So far so good!

View attachment 189729

Wow that's cool, I think I just changed my mind on what to get my wife for Xmas.

View attachment 189729

Dang, those all look very healthy. As someone who regularly trellises sungold plants to like 15-25 feet in height/length, I'll be very curious to see what that plant looks like in a month or two!

Dang, those all look very healthy. As someone who regularly trellises sungold plants to like 15-25 feet in height/length, I'll be very curious to see what that plant looks like in a month or two!
Yeah, I'm wondering about that too. Most of the FB groups say to prune heavily and the tomato plant should stay more compact. My outdoor summer plant are potted and they only get to about 3 feet.

The system comes with some liquid fertilizer, probably close to the miracle grow formulation. And it also has a reminder light to add more every two weeks.

Yeah, I'm wondering about that too. Most of the FB groups say to prune heavily and the tomato plant should stay more compact. My outdoor summer plant are potted and they only get to about 3 feet.

The system comes with some liquid fertilizer, probably close to the miracle grow formulation. And it also has a reminder light to add more every two weeks.
Yeah, I plant in raised beds that are also connected to the ground, so the roots can go as far as they want, which means the plants can too! Given your situation I'm sure it'll stay nice and compact.

When I moved I dug up those planters that I trenched into the hillside. This past weekend we finally got them retrenched into the back yard. while the cuts were nowhere near as deep this time I placed them over some stumps and had to chop out the large tap roots to get the planters level. currently they catch backyard leaf piles and kitchen compost but hopefully this spring I finish them out with some fill dirt and top with compost and get started for real. I have metal frames for them with mesh and frost covers and we're thinking maybe we'll do some citrus plants?

Back