Gardening

And of course there is a thread here for this! Awesome. Since the pandemic, gardening (mainly vegetables, now getting into perennials) has been my #2 obsession after music. We bought a house year and a half ago, and over last two summers I've been converting what was a front lawn into paths and a raised bed garden. Been a ton of work doing it myself, but lots of fun, and I learned some basic woodworking in the process. I'm a final gravel-path-fill away from completing it! Here's a pic:

IMG_3244.jpeg

Last edited:
And of course there is a thread here for this! Awesome. Since the pandemic gardening (mainly vegetables, now getting into perennials) has been my #2 obsession after music. We bought a house year and a half ago, and over last two summers I've been converting what was a front lawn into paths and a raised bed garden. Been a ton of work doing it myself, but lots of fun, and I learned woodworking the process. I'm a final gravel-path-fill away from completing it! Here's a pic:

View attachment 177406
That looks amazing!

My garden philosophy is more wild, untamed jungle. hahaha

PXL_20230703_003411243.jpg

Tomatoes are doing great, though!

PXL_20230708_135331543.jpg

That looks amazing!

My garden philosophy is more wild, untamed jungle. hahaha

View attachment 177418

Tomatoes are doing great, though!

View attachment 177419
Before this garden build, when we rented in Philly burbs, I was much more DIY with my gardening. That really is my preferred mode, tbh, since I really enjoy growing tons of amazing food on the cheap. But then a few things led to a much more deliberate and serious design up here in MA: 1) My only full sun area is in the front yard, so with garden having to go there, I decided to think of the aesthetics of the design a lot more. I don't live on a very busy street, but I knew it would kind be "on display," if that makes sense. 2) The soil quality at our place in MA is really bad for growing (rocky and gravelesque followed by clay), so I needed to focus on improving soil, hence all raised beds filled mainly with compost (they all have hardware cloth at base to prevent pests/vermin from coming up and eating roots) 3) It's our first home, and knowing this is gonna be more permanent, I enjoyed stepping up my knowledge, and learning to build stronger structures in hopes they last for a number of years. 4) I have a desk job, so I thoroughly enjoy the hard physical work that was involved in building all this. I'm actually gonna miss it when I'm done soon. I'm sure I'll find more projects!

Also, there is no way I could have done any of this without the knowledge I gained from my more DIY gardening start!

And finally, since you posted some tomatoes, and they are my favorite thing to grow, here's a pic of a nice colorful tomato harvest from my last garden:
9E483477-06E7-4513-8D0F-1787BAF238E2.JPG

Last edited:
I am putting my house on the market next week and I am seriously considering stating the planters do not convey. I am not sure how I undo the mounds that will be left but I am keen to bring them to the new place where I have flat earth to work with. They were trenched into the hillside such that only one corner is actually sitting on grade. However, they were lined with cardboard and logs before I started tossing in yard and food waste.

They're half full now and already rapidly producing sweet potatoes and zuchini from food waste. Well, one is, the other has a yellow jacket nest I think I will overnight flood with a hose. I actually think removal may improve resale potential but I kinda want to just take them post closing and leave the new owners to deal with the mounds. AITA?

Anybody have some good idea of what to do with cherry tomatoes? This is the third harvest this size and I’m kind of sick of the usual pasta options…

View attachment 179279
My favorite meal:
Blister the tomatoes on a pan, crush a few, once cooked throw some mozzarella pearls on it.
Grill or pan sear some steak (flank steak for me) and cover with tomatoes and mozz 👌🏽

Back