Fresh Grabs

the ice cream shop held a big sale last Saturday. Crazy prices. Yellow tags = full price (heavy hitters). Orange tag were 50% off, starting at $12 each. Top racks unpriced were $2 each. Floor racks were $1 each (or less). Ended up pulling 111 records, only a few were orange tags. My wife was a huge help! It was well attended by collectors and resellers. Most left with big stacks. Our intention was to keep a few, but most are for my wife's antique mall booth. The owner looked at the pile of $1 records, maybe 50 or so, and said $10. The total was only 156 for the lot. I'll post some highlights later, lots of Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, some Rush, Black Sabbath, Clash, Nazz, a mono Pet Sounds, Bowie, Billy Idol, Pink Floyd, Brubeck, so many more! I think he's putting out more next Saturday, too! :oops:IMG_3822.jpeg

First press with misprints on labels
IMG_3825.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally scored a nice minty sealed copy of Bat For Lashes - Two Suns. I've given up on this getting a repress and finally broke down and shelled out for one on Discogs marketplace. Will give it a spin tonight.

View attachment 198113
So when this inevitably gets reissued in the next couple of months we'll have you to thank?

Finally scored a nice minty sealed copy of Bat For Lashes - Two Suns. I've given up on this getting a repress and finally broke down and shelled out for one on Discogs marketplace. Will give it a spin tonight.

View attachment 198113
Based of the cosmic record collecting rules that we all adhere to, this means a Bats For Lashes reissue campaign announcement should be forthcoming

My vinyl collection is pretty small that's mainly made up of a few 7” records that belonged to my stepdad and a couple of gifted ones. Bought my own vinyl a few months ago in a pre-order, and it was finally delivered earlier this month! Love Yourself: Her by BTS. I hope they press the rest of the trilogy albums.

BTS holds a special place in my heart even though some people have given me a hard time for liking kpop, specifically BTS. At first, I dismissed them as just another boy band when I learned about them back in 2017 while in Korea for a deployment exercise. However, in 2019 I gave their music a closer listen and translated their lyrics (I currently don't know Korean). I already enjoyed their beats and energy, but I was surprised by some of their lyrical skills, and greatly appreciated their stories. When I got to their Love Yourself trilogy albums it resonated with me. At the time, some parts of my personal life were in shambles, and my mental health and self-esteem were really low. Some of the songs from these albums (and therapy!) helped me realize that sometimes loving others hurts, but I shouldn't give up on myself because I’m still worthy of love and kindness even with my flaws. So even though some people have tried to yuck my yum for liking BTS I will always adore them, and the joy and healing they bring me.

View attachment 164861

Happy to say that it looks like BTS will be slowly pressing the rest of their Love Yourself trilogy albums!!! 😍 I was able to get their 2nd album, Love Yourself: Tear. If BTS becomes the gateway band that inspires me to collect vinyl records I would be okay with that. 😂💜

IMG_1801.jpeg

Truth Is Where It's At - The Best Of Gospel Truth (Gospel Truth Records, 2023 Vinyl Me Please Box Set)

I saw this pop up in the swaps and although I'm not religious, I figured it was worth it to listen to some (hopefully) funky gospel. Excited to dig in!

IMG_9485.JPG

Nat Birchall Unity Ensemble – New World (Ancient Archive Of Sound, 2024 First Pressing)
Nina Simone – Silk & Soul (RCA Victor, 2024 Vinyl Me Please Classics Pressing)

A couple of "new" releases, with Nat Birchall's arriving earlier in the week but officially being released today. He did it again! Its a fantastic album! Plus the latest Classics from VMP.

IMG_9486.JPG

The Graham Bond Organization - The Sound Of 65 (Columbia, 1965 First Mono Pressing)
Jazz International - S/T (Vogue Records, 1957 First Pressing)
Eddie Thompson – Midnight In London (Vox, 1958 First Pressing)
Zoot Sims All Stars - S/T (Esquire, 1953 First 10" Pressing)

A bunch of British jazz releases (with Zoot Sims thrown in for good measure). The Graham Bond has been on my list for a while and I was able to get this one for a decent price. The Jazz International is a Jimmy Deuchar (trumpeter) led session and this one is an upgrade copy. The Eddie Thompson was a great score, looks to be in good shape and tricky to find.

IMG_9487.JPG

Talking The Groove: Jazz Words From The Morning Star by Chris Searle (Jazz In Britain, 2024)
The Tubby Hayes Quintet – After Lights Out (Esquire, 1957 First 7" Pressing)
Joe Harriott Quartet – No Strings (Pye Nixa, 1955 First 7" Pressing)

Finally, some real gems. The latest book from Jazz In Britain arrived last weekend and comes with an accompanying CD (which I believe is the latest new-fangled music format). Im going to the book launch and accompanying gig in a week or 2 so looking forward to that. The real gems of these "grabs" are actually the 2 7" records. I don't always hunt for these as I can never justify paying silly money for 2-3 songs, but both of these were a steal and I couldn't be happier with them. I now have all of Joe Harriott's music on vinyl (previously I had all his albums and now I also have all the EP's!)

IMG_9489.JPG

Back