Fresh Grabs

That's going to be a problem because I'll have to get more beyond the two I have.
I have 5 of em so far, all the clear wax ones and one with the numbered obi made out of old tape. I have put off buying any more mainly because I kinda want to get clear for the others but those are slightly more expensive and there is always something I want I little bit more.

I have 5 of em so far, all the clear wax ones and one with the numbered obi made out of old tape. I have put off buying any more mainly because I kinda want to get clear for the others but those are slightly more expensive and there is always something I want I little bit more.

I have Sound-Dust on clear and Dots & Loops on black, and for what it's worth, the black vinyl is much more quiet. But I only have the one Stereolab on clear to compare it too.

I'm already planning out the next three I'll get when opportunity arises.

I have Sound-Dust on clear and Dots & Loops on black, and for what it's worth, the black vinyl is much more quiet. But I only have the one Stereolab on clear to compare it too.

I'm already planning out the next three I'll get when opportunity arises.
Good to know. All of my clear sound great, I just need to get one copy on black wax and then it won’t matter but getting over that slight OCD is a tough one.

I haven’t posted here since early July. Lots of cheap finds, starting with a $10 Horses from 1975:

924FF1D3-4815-4865-B2EF-AC7B7245469B.jpeg

And these $1 finds, including the only early Stones album I was still missing:

B472FC47-DFD8-4E5C-8605-203A154636D5.jpeg

More cheap stuff in this batch, the $7 Cobham being the priciest:

3DE1714B-A23E-4900-89BA-F4FFACC67A3A.jpeg

I did have to pay 4x more for this OG Blue Valentine. Being my favorite Tom Waits album, I couldn’t pass it up. Pristine shape! Costello and Zevon were $5 finds. I had no idea REM were ever Zevon’s backing band!

66423EFD-FC0F-4758-ACB8-19522ECB0E35.jpeg

Lastly, the new stuff. Tone Poet deal and, err, I dunno, THE BEST FREAKING LIVE ALBUM OF ALL TIME EVER PERIOD:

8B81CACD-FFE4-4580-8783-6D8D97E3C182.jpeg

Miles Davis – Fearless: March 7, 1970 Live At The Fillmore East (Third Man Records, 2023 Vault Pressing)

I really lucked out here. I was really interested in this Vault set but the international cost is pretty pricey (I have been a member in the past though). Fast forward to earlier in the week and I lucked out on an ebay bid that seemed to fly under the radar. Looks like a fantastic set, great music, a few extra bonus bits (patch and sticker) and what im sure will be a great 7" featuring Muriel Grossmann playing Davis compositions.

IMG_2763.JPG

Don Rendell Quartet - Time Presence (DR Records, 1988 First Pressing)
Guy Warren With Red Saunders Orchestra - Africa Speaks America Answers (Brunswick, 1958 First UK Pressing)
Dizzy Reece Quintet - A Variation On Monk (Tempo Records, 1958 First 7" Pressing)

Some fantastic British jazz. The Rendell and Warren records are not typically expensive but rarely appear for sale, so I certainly got lucky here. The real find is the Dizzy Reece 7", a crazy rare release that usually goes for hundreds of pounds!

IMG_2764.JPG

View attachment 181096
Rhiannon Giddens - You’re the One

I have grown to like this over the past week or so. Can’t wait to get this cleaned and on the table.
Yes, I've grown to like it too. It still feels messy. But she's such a talent. Kind of reminds me of Jeff Buckley as she can do anything but finding the right/best thing to do doesn't always seem easy. Some fabulous songs on this though.

It’s been a busy week of receiving international shipments.

First up are four from Record City Japan. It’s my favorite shop for ’digging’ for off-the-beaten-path jazz records, which are defined for me as artists and/or titles I either have never heard of or, for artists, I am aware of only as periphery players. Also discovered I somehow don’t own a copy of Gaucho, so added a Japanese first pressing as well.

Terumasa Hino - Into the Heaven
Charlie Rouse - Bossa Nova Bacchanal
Bill Crow - Jazz Anecdotes
Steely Dan - Gaucho

IMG_8930.jpeg

After waiting weeks to finally place that previous order at Record City, the very next day I saw their new listing for a Beatles comp I’d never heard of. Looks really interesting to me and the price was right. (Glad I sprung for it because it’s basically as-new as far as I can tell.) Threw in the Elvis record because I couldn’t bear to pay shipping for just one title.

The Beatles - From Liverpool (8LP box)
Elvis Costello - Trust

IMG_8931.jpeg

Also just received a package from jpc.

Super Furry Animals - Radiator (20th Anniversary Edition)
Laura Groves - Radio Red

IMG_8932.jpeg

August Acquisitions

Ambient selections

Harmonia - Deluxe
Mary Lattimore - Silver Ladders
Saloli - The Deep End
Stars of the Lid - The Ballasted Orchestra

20230901_074719.jpg

Deluxe is not quite a true ambient record, though much of its sound palette can be attributed there. Both releases from this krautrock supergroup are weird, enjoyable excursions.
Mary Lattimore's Silver Ladders is stellar, and I'm very excited to see her next month (with Jeremiah Chiu providing support)! Found for cheap.
Taking a chance on this Saloli from MP's recommendation, despite having never listened. I do like her record from this year Canyon a fair bit.
RIP Brian McBride. Found a copy of the other SotL record that I enjoy direct from the source on Discogs at Kranky's base price just before the rest of the affordable listings were gobbled up.

Current year selections

Jessy Lanza - Love Hallucination (signed)
Jess Williamson - Time Ain't Accidental (signed)

20230901_074852.jpg

Went to the Music Millennium annual BBQ, got two cups of a complimentary local microbrew and some food. Also got a 10% off all records coupon while waiting in line and bought both of these in store after a quick online perusal had these cheaper than elsewhere with the 10% discount. Saw both of these artists live this month and both are now inked 🥰

Miscellaneous

BADBADNOTGOOD - Talk Memory
Julie Byrne - Rooms With Walls and Windows
Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness
Cocteau Twins - Treasure
Julee Cruise - Floating Into the Night
Doja Cat - Hot Pink

20230901_075056.jpg

BADBADNOTGOOD and Doja Cat were both in the first Crateism 2record grab bag. Satisfied enough with those quality of selections for the price. That is, assuming the other five 2record grab bags arrive 😒
Found these Julie Byrne records to accompany this year's excellent The Greater Wings at excellent prices. Rooms With Walls and Windows was $8 used at Mississippi Records (green color vinyl, too), and Not Even Happiness for $18 new at Music Millennium (surprised to not only see it, but for an uninflated price).
Selected the Cocteau Twins dream/gothic pop masterpiece on a whim.
Very satisfied with the Sacred Bones reissue of Julee Cruise's dream pop mainstay.

PIF Claim

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

20230901_075220.jpg

Thank you to @zomgbear for this excellent PIF! This reissue sounds superb, and I see no reason to improve on it.

August Acquisitions

Ambient selections

Harmonia - Deluxe
Mary Lattimore - Silver Ladders
Saloli - The Deep End
Stars of the Lid - The Ballasted Orchestra

View attachment 181291

Deluxe is not quite a true ambient record, though much of its sound palette can be attributed there. Both releases from this krautrock supergroup are weird, enjoyable excursions.
Mary Lattimore's Silver Ladders is stellar, and I'm very excited to see her next month (with Jeremiah Chiu providing support)! Found for cheap.
Taking a chance on this Saloli from MP's recommendation, despite having never listened. I do like her record from this year Canyon a fair bit.
RIP Brian McBride. Found a copy of the other SotL record that I enjoy direct from the source on Discogs at Kranky's base price just before the rest of the affordable listings were gobbled up.

Current year selections

Jessy Lanza - Love Hallucination (signed)
Jess Williamson - Time Ain't Accidental (signed)

View attachment 181292

Went to the Music Millennium annual BBQ, got two cups of a complimentary local microbrew and some food. Also got a 10% off all records coupon while waiting in line and bought both of these in store after a quick online perusal had these cheaper than elsewhere with the 10% discount. Saw both of these artists live this month and both are now inked 🥰

Miscellaneous

BADBADNOTGOOD - Talk Memory
Julie Byrne - Rooms With Walls and Windows
Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness
Cocteau Twins - Treasure
Julee Cruise - Floating Into the Night
Doja Cat - Hot Pink

View attachment 181293

BADBADNOTGOOD and Doja Cat were both in the first Crateism 2record grab bag. Satisfied enough with those quality of selections for the price. That is, assuming the other five 2record grab bags arrive 😒
Found these Julie Byrne records to accompany this year's excellent The Greater Wings at excellent prices. Rooms With Walls and Windows was $8 used at Mississippi Records (green color vinyl, too), and Not Even Happiness for $18 new at Music Millennium (surprised to not only see it, but for an uninflated price).
Selected the Cocteau Twins dream/gothic pop masterpiece on a whim.
Very satisfied with the Sacred Bones reissue of Julee Cruise's dream pop mainstay.

PIF Claim

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

View attachment 181294

Thank you to @zomgbear for this excellent PIF! This reissue sounds superb, and I see no reason to improve on it.

Silver Ladders!!
My favourite blind buy during my time with VMP. So good.

Back