Fresh Grabs

The Mike Taylor Trio - Trio (Columbia, 1967 First Pressing)

A dream find for me and an ultra rarity. A mysterious legendary British pianist that recorded just 2 albums before he passed away. A few weeks later Cream had a hit with one of his compositions that would have given him recognition and royalties.

IMG_8990.JPG

Pete Brown And His Battered Ornaments - A Meal You Can Shake Hands With In The Dark (Harvest, 1969 First Pressing)
George Wallington Quintet - The New York Scene (New Jazz/Esquire, 1961 First UK Pressing)
Donald Byrd - The Cat Walk (Blue Note, 1962 First Mono Pressing)
Bobby Hutcherson - Stick-Up! (Blue Note, 1968 First Pressing)
Ike Quebec - Heavy Soul (Blue Note, 1962 First Mono Pressing)

I bought a jazz collection this week with these records being the ones that I am keeping. Some real heat here which I cannot wait to dig into!!

IMG_8995.JPG

The Graham Collier Septet - Deep Dark Blue Centre (Deram, 1967 First Stereo Pressing)
Amalgam - Prayer For Peace (Transatlantic, 1969 First Pressing)
The Prestige All Stars - All Day Long (Prestige / Esquire, 1960 First UK Pressing)
Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio - Midnight Sugar (Three Blind Mice, 1977 Pressing)
The Graham Bond Organization – There's A Bond Between Us (Columbia, 1965 First Mono Pressing)

And these are the better albums from the collection that I already have and will be selling/trading. The Deep Dark Blue Circle is the stereo pressing and I have the mono so that will be a fun shoot-out.

IMG_8991.JPG

The Buddy Rich Big Band - Big Swing Face (Fontana/Sun Set Records, 1967 Signed Pressing)
Roland Kirk - Kirk In Copenhagen (Mercury, 1964 First Signed Pressing)

Heres some majorly cool finds. The Buddy Rich is in a brown envelope-styled sleeve that is signed by the man on the front. The really really really cool find is "Kirk In Copenhagen" which is signed by Roland Kirk on the rear. Kirk was blind from a young age but would occationally sign autographs with assistance from Dorthaan Kirk, his wife. She would hold the pen whilst Kirk held the bottom and together they would guide it so he could write a note and his name. Really cool.

IMG_8992.JPG
IMG_8993.jpg

such a great record. would love to score an OG someday, the reissue i picked up is a pale substitute but for a man of limited means it’ll do
They really need to reissue more of the British jazz classics, I think there is a demand for them.

Tony Higgins posted a photo of a table of original pressings a while ago in anticipation of the Decca "British Jazz Explosion" series. There was a great deal there that have yet to be announced so there is still hope!

OMG Heisei no Oto (平成の音) is a favorite. $3 is unheard of an MFM record, even on sale.

Yeah it's pretty crazy. I've wanted it and that one was definitely $3. The Jujutsu Kaisen box was $10; blue with black splatter but the box had a little tear at the opening. Lots of minor dings or creases, but not on everything. The Nancy Sinatra comp was $15.

The La Ola Interior is great and they gave it to me for free. The Rubba library record is what's playing in the post.

This was the event

Last edited:
A productive turntable and record-digging road trip to Portland, OR. Picked up the following records, by the shop where I found them.

My first stop was Mississippi Records. They were playing something that really grabbed me. Inquired about it and found it was Out of the Bachs, by The Bachs. Also picked up a used copy of Yo La Tengo - Painful.

From Too Many Records I picked up:

Frightened Rabbit - Painting of a Panic Attack
Daniel Romano - Finally Free
Art Pepper - Intensity

Portland1.jpg

Little Axe was one of two shops I enjoyed most. Picked up:

Jim Hall - Concierto
Beachwood Sparks - Beachwood Sparks
Bedhead - Beheaded
Buzzcocks - Time's Up
Tony Joe White - Eyes

Portland2.jpg

Tomorrow Records was my other favorite of the shops I visited. Picked up the following, and was given a nice discount on the total.

Red House Painters - Old Ramon
The Mountain Goats - All Hail West Texas
Leonard Cohen - Ten New Songs
Weezer - Weezer
The Magnetic Fields - 50 Song Memoir (box)

Portland3.jpg

Picked up one record each at Cinton Street (where I was given a significant discount on a record that apparently had been on their wall for a while) and Music Millenium.

Cookin' Mama - New Day
Mates of State - Re-arrange Us

Portland4.jpg
Last stop in Portland was Crossroads Music, which is a vinyl mall of sorts with (so I was told) 50 vendors. A bit overwhelming, but I found a few things to walk away with, one of which is super cool because I'm a big fan of the Bevis Frond.

Gipsy Love - Gipsy Love
Bevis and Twink - Magic Eye
Savage Rose - Dodens Triumf
Todd Rundgren - Runt
Trip Shakespeare - Are you Shakespearienced?
Pacific Gas & Electric - Get it On

Portland5.jpg

Finally, on the drive back to Salt Lake City, spent a night in Boise, Idaho and found a signed copy of a record I'd been looking for in every shop I went to. This one was from the Record Exchange.

Wednesday - Rat Saw God

Portland6.jpg

A productive turntable and record-digging road trip to Portland, OR. Picked up the following records, by the shop where I found them.

My first stop was Mississippi Records. They were playing something that really grabbed me. Inquired about it and found it was Out of the Bachs, by The Bachs. Also picked up a used copy of Yo La Tengo - Painful.

From Too Many Records I picked up:

Frightened Rabbit - Painting of a Panic Attack
Daniel Romano - Finally Free
Art Pepper - Intensity

View attachment 175032

Little Axe was one of two shops I enjoyed most. Picked up:

Jim Hall - Concierto
Beachwood Sparks - Beachwood Sparks
Bedhead - Beheaded
Buzzcocks - Time's Up
Tony Joe White - Eyes

View attachment 175031

Tomorrow Records was my other favorite of the shops I visited. Picked up the following, and was given a nice discount on the total.

Red House Painters - Old Ramon
The Mountain Goats - All Hail West Texas
Leonard Cohen - Ten New Songs
Weezer - Weezer
The Magnetic Fields - 50 Song Memoir (box)

View attachment 175030

Picked up one record each at Cinton Street (where I was given a significant discount on a record that apparently had been on their wall for a while) and Music Millenium.

Cookin' Mama - New Day
Mates of State - Re-arrange Us

View attachment 175029
Last stop in Portland was Crossroads Music, which is a vinyl mall of sorts with (so I was told) 50 vendors. A bit overwhelming, but I found a few things to walk away with, one of which is super cool because I'm a big fan of the Bevis Frond.

Gipsy Love - Gipsy Love
Bevis and Twink - Magic Eye
Savage Rose - Dodens Triumf
Todd Rundgren - Runt
Trip Shakespeare - Are you Shakespearienced?
Pacific Gas & Electric - Get it On

View attachment 175028

Finally, on the drive back to Salt Lake City, spent a night in Boise, Idaho and found a signed copy of a record I'd been looking for in every shop I went to. This one was from the Record Exchange.

Wednesday - Rat Saw God

View attachment 175027

I really need to get myself a copy of Ten New Songs

I really need to get myself a copy of Ten New Songs
The copy I bought is the 2009 Music on Vinyl pressing, mastered by Bob Ludwig. It sounds quite good.

The copy I bought is the 2009 Music on Vinyl pressing, mastered by Bob Ludwig. It sounds quite good.

Yeah, my goal is for the same - or the 2018 We Are Vinyl reissue used the MOV plates, so I'd be okay with that also, which I believe is what would likely be the current stock at most retailers around here.

Received two nice packages. First coming from Estonia with RRGems new releases and a few older one. Then from France, took advantage of the clearance sale to grab some older releases including this subscribers only Ballake Sissoko release.

PXL_20230620_183108035.jpg
PXL_20230620_183352531.jpg
PXL_20230620_183435403.jpg

I've been keeping my eye on 3 of these that have been on clearance at a shop across the country for something like 9 months now... my wife ordered me one for Father's Day and it finally arrived today!

1000005457.jpg

Shoutout to Taz Records for packing this thing like a tank!Easily the most fortified box set I've ever received in the mail.

It's been a few months since I wrangled up my new stuff so it's not THAT much if you do the math. I figured I should clear some room before everything I ordered in the last week starts showing up 😬

Happy to finally have a copy of the Gray Album and got it for a great price on ebay along with the Joe Bob & The Lone Stars – Monster Mash Lathe cut! Then a couple pre-orders.
IMG_20230510_192145.jpg

Got 3 Hazemaze albums from there Bandcamp and they sent me an unbelievably boring black copy instead of the bubbly hot pink beauty I ordered but i'm pretty sure i'll survive.
IMG_20230510_192224.jpg

Then all of the deepdiscount stuff I got during there blowout.
IMG_20230510_192344.jpg
IMG_20230621_235953.jpg

Test Press of HO: A Dan Band Christmas and one of the few Atmosphere albums I was missing.. Wtf were they thinking when making the crayon holder permanently attached to the jacket?
IMG_20230621_235927.jpg

Then a nice little Aloha Got Soul package to finish things off!
IMG_20230620_225224.jpg
IMG_20230620_225158.jpg

It's been a few months since I wrangled up my new stuff so it's not THAT much if you do the math. I figured I should clear some room before everything I ordered in the last week starts showing up 😬

Happy to finally have a copy of the Gray Album and got it for a great price on ebay along with the Joe Bob & The Lone Stars – Monster Mash Lathe cut! Then a couple pre-orders.
View attachment 175770

Got 3 Hazemaze albums from there Bandcamp and they sent me an unbelievably boring black copy instead of the bubbly hot pink beauty I ordered but i'm pretty sure i'll survive.
View attachment 175771

Then all of the deepdiscount stuff I got during there blowout.
View attachment 175772
View attachment 175769

Test Press of HO: A Dan Band Christmas and one of the few Atmosphere albums I was missing.. Wtf were they thinking when making the crayon holder permanently attached to the jacket?
View attachment 175768

Then a nice little Aloha Got Soul package to finish things off!
View attachment 175774
View attachment 175773
That Aloha Got Soul is a nice little shop with some good people working there. Dropped in while we were over there earlier this year.

That Aloha Got Soul is a nice little shop with some good people working there. Dropped in while we were over there earlier this year.

I wish I was there to get them myself! I've been to the Island quite a few times but the last visit was towards the end of Covid and I discovered the shop but it wasn't quite open yet. I gave some $$$ to my Dad who goes for business to grab three albums I really wanted and to ask the shop or pick out a few others himself. The guy in the shop went above and beyond talking to my Dad for a good hour+ and ended up not only suggesting a few but also threw a couple in for free along with the other stuff so that was def. an awesome unsuspected surprise! I'm looking forward to checking the shop out for myself though hopefully much sooner then later 🌴

Nice, I need to get that From These Shores compilation! The Eddie Suzuki and Aura albums are 🔥

And where’d you get the Grey Album from?

The Compilation was a surprise get so i'm looking forward to blindly spinning that one but fully agree on the other two!

It was a random lucky find on ebay for around $20ish.. The sound quality is VERY underwhelming though honestly and I don't get the high praise AT ALL on Discogs even with it being a boot unless I just got unlucky with the exact version I got? If you get a copy, i'd def. suggest going for the ones that have Jay and The Beatles on the front cover as i'm guessing those sound better especially if you can find an og 2004 GRAYLP-1 release that was numbered to /1000.. Those supposedly involved Danger Mouse before he got the "cease and desist" from Capital.

On the bright side though, Aloha Got Soul has hit home runs on every vinyl release i've heard. The few from the above batch that i've listened to so far were stellar pressings as well.

Back