Fresh Grabs

Oh yeah, Snap! is my favorite compilation ever. I have a nice og, but I couldn't pass on the reissue for $0.00

Teaser sounds really good to me. It's the 2022 Europe version. No pressing issues on my copy. There's air and texture in the quieter acoustic songs. And it's lush and dynamic during the bigger numbers. Cat's voice sounds great too, front and center and rich.

$0! Like free? What’s going on with that?

$0! Like free? What’s going on with that?
Got a few minutes? It was a wild week in the online deals thread, it starts here
Looks like you can order as many separate orders as you want. I’ve placed 2 so far

Some new stuff added since yesterday

Long story short, one of the universal music storefronts had about 200 LPs for sale for $0, with $8 shipping. The rub was you could only buy one item per order, still a great deal. But the clever wags around here figured out a workaround. Hilarity ensued

Got a few minutes? It was a wild week in the online deals thread, it starts here

Long story short, one of the universal music storefronts had about 200 LPs for sale for $0, with $8 shipping. The rub was you could only buy one item per order, still a great deal. But the clever wags around here figured out a workaround. Hilarity ensued

Ah! Random! I’m guessing as with all these things that it was just the us storefront lol!

Tribe - The Story Of Tribe Records (Tribe Records, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Anthology Box Set Pressing)
The Comedy Store - 50 Years Of The Comedy Store (Vinyl Me Please, 2022 Vinyl Me Please Anthology Box Set Pressing)
Thelonious Monk Septet - Monk's Music (Riverside Records, 2023 Vinyl Me Please Classics Pressing)
Swizz Beatz - Long Live Jazz (12on12, 2022 Limited Pressing)
Smiley - Smiley 50th Anniversary (12on12, 2022 Limited Pressing)

The last of the VMP packages finally arrived today. Royal Mail once again put a label with an incorrect address over the VMP one which is correct. By the grace of the gods my local postman was the person that sorted them this morning and happened to recognise my name on one of the boxes (the Tribe box) and brought it to me, otherwise who knows where it would have ended up.

I opened up the Tribe box and listened to the first album. Absolutely fantastic, I am so glad that I ended up getting this, I just know its going to get lots of plays! Fantastic music, a fantastic box, heavyweight glossy sleeves, and from a visual inspection the discs look flat.

I also listened to Monk (which happened to be one of the few of his that I did have) and it sounds incredible too!

Finally, the "No way I would pay full price for that" swaps package. I've been pondering over the Comedy Store set whilst waiting for it to arrive, im not overly familiar with the comedians on it so I'm hoping it doesn't go over my head. Definitely an impulse buy. The two 12on12's are also intriguing and I will likely crack into the jazz set first. I still don't really understand why these are priced so high....

View attachment 176017
That Tribe box was my first anthology and is still easily one of my favorites. Such a cool set of records.

The carboot sale was incredible this morning. The most amount of people selling records that I have seen in all the years that I have been going. The highlight was one lady that had 2 boxes of pure heat and another full of obscure 7" releases. I really regret not spending more time in the 7" box as I only pulled 3 (3 for £1) and 1 of them goes for £20 so it must be a good one! There were so much great records today that I even stretched out and got some non-jazz bits, at a quid a time I could justify it :ROFLMAO:

Return To Forever - Musicmagic (Columbia, 1977 First Pressing)
The Ramsey Lewis Trio - Hang On Ramsey! (Chess, 1966 First UK Pressing)
Colosseum - Colosseum Live (Bronze, 1971 First Pressing)
The Modern Jazz Quartet - The Sheriff (Atlantic/London Records, 1964 First UK Pressing)
Johnny McLaughlin - Electric Guitarist (CBS, 1978 First UK Pressing)
Roy Ayers - Feeling Good (Polydor, 1982 First UK Pressing)
Ray Bryant - Here's Ray Bryant (Pablo Records, 1976 First UK Pressing)
Tony Crombie - Man From Interpol (Top Rank, 1960 First UK Pressing)
Herbie Mann - London Underground (Atlantic, 1974 First Pressing)
George Benson - Beyond The Blue Horizon (CTI Records, 1979 Pressing)
Milt Jackson – The Ballad Artistry Of Milt Jackson (Atlantic/London Records, 1960 First UK Mono Pressing)

First up is the jazz lot. So much great music here and I cant wait to dig in. There was actually a whole lot more that I left behind today, quite a few late reissues that, judging by the prices, sellers seemed to think were original. These were a whole lot more affordable though and the majority are in fantastic condition. A few light scratches here and there but for the most part I checked them over really well before buying....just dirty as hell!

IMG_9766.JPG

John Mayall And The Bluesbreakers - A Hard Road (Decca, 1967 First Mono Pressing)
The Animals - S/T (Columbia, 1964 First UK Pressing)
Memphis Slim - All Kinds Of Blues (Riverside/Xtra, 1968 UK Pressing)
Major Lance - The Rhythm Of Major Lance (Columbia, 1964 First Pressing)
Manfred Mann - As Is (Fontana, 1966 First UK Pressing)

The Blues Bunch next. I have been dipping my toes into the world of Blues off and on over the past few years and have recently been streaming a lot after reading the biography of drummer Jon Hiseman (he played with John Mayall). Looking forward to listening to these, Incredibly I blind-purchased the Major Lance and it wasn't until I added it to my Discogs that I saw it last sold for just over £90 and £120 before that! Not bad for £1!

IMG_9768.JPG

Roberta Flack - Quiet Fire (Atlantic, 1971 First UK Pressing)
Roberta Flack - Killing Me Softly (Atlantic, 1973 First UK Pressing)
John & Yoko / Plastic Ono Band With Elephant's Memory And Invisible Strings - Some Time In New York City (Apple Records, 1972 First Pressing)
Joni Mitchell - The Hissing Of Summer Lawns (Asylum Records, 1975 First Pressing)
Dusty Springfield - A Girl Called Dusty (Philips, 1964 First UK Mono Pressing)

Here comes the vocalists! These are the records that I have been playing on this swelteringly hot evening. "Killing Me Softly" sounds absolutely phenomenal, such a fantastic pressing. I've been most impressed with Dusty Springfield, I didn't think I was familiar with her but was surprised to recognise several tracks. Joni Mitchell was a real joy as well, sounds great! The John and Yoko was.....interesting. On a side note, I was in Iceland several years ago at the Reykjavik docks and a tour boat to "John Lennon Island" (seriously that's what they call it despite it actually being Viðey Island) was offering free trips for the evening as a mysterious benefactor had paid for them as part of the anniversary of Lennon's passing. We went to the island as the sun was setting (it's super tiny at about half a square mile) and crowded around the "Imagine Peace Tower" which was turned on and shot a beam of light into the pollutant-free sky. Turned out to be Yoko Ono and not only did she "sing" (literally screaming into a microphone) but she also had eveyone hold hands around the light in layered circles before swaying back and forth. Very cultish.

IMG_9767.JPG

Eartha Kitt - Chez Moi / When The World Was Young (His Master's Voice, 1965 Demonstration/Sample Pressing)
Roy Shirley With Lynn Taitt & His Band - Hold Them / Be Good (Doctor Bird, 1967 First 7" Pressing)
Carl Perkins - Blue Suede Shoes (Sun Records, 1956 First 7" Pressing)

Finally, 3 7" records for a quid. The Doctor Bird label intrigued me enough to get it and then I threw in the Sun and HMV to make 3.

IMG_9770.jpg

The carboot sale was incredible this morning. The most amount of people selling records that I have seen in all the years that I have been going. The highlight was one lady that had 2 boxes of pure heat and another full of obscure 7" releases. I really regret not spending more time in the 7" box as I only pulled 3 (3 for £1) and 1 of them goes for £20 so it must be a good one! There were so much great records today that I even stretched out and got some non-jazz bits, at a quid a time I could justify it :ROFLMAO:

Return To Forever - Musicmagic (Columbia, 1977 First Pressing)
The Ramsey Lewis Trio - Hang On Ramsey! (Chess, 1966 First UK Pressing)
Colosseum - Colosseum Live (Bronze, 1971 First Pressing)
The Modern Jazz Quartet - The Sheriff (Atlantic/London Records, 1964 First UK Pressing)
Johnny McLaughlin - Electric Guitarist (CBS, 1978 First UK Pressing)
Roy Ayers - Feeling Good (Polydor, 1982 First UK Pressing)
Ray Bryant - Here's Ray Bryant (Pablo Records, 1976 First UK Pressing)
Tony Crombie - Man From Interpol (Top Rank, 1960 First UK Pressing)
Herbie Mann - London Underground (Atlantic, 1974 First Pressing)
George Benson - Beyond The Blue Horizon (CTI Records, 1979 Pressing)
Milt Jackson – The Ballad Artistry Of Milt Jackson (Atlantic/London Records, 1960 First UK Mono Pressing)

First up is the jazz lot. So much great music here and I cant wait to dig in. There was actually a whole lot more that I left behind today, quite a few late reissues that, judging by the prices, sellers seemed to think were original. These were a whole lot more affordable though and the majority are in fantastic condition. A few light scratches here and there but for the most part I checked them over really well before buying....just dirty as hell!

View attachment 176061

John Mayall And The Bluesbreakers - A Hard Road (Decca, 1967 First Mono Pressing)
The Animals - S/T (Columbia, 1964 First UK Pressing)
Memphis Slim - All Kinds Of Blues (Riverside/Xtra, 1968 UK Pressing)
Major Lance - The Rhythm Of Major Lance (Columbia, 1964 First Pressing)
Manfred Mann - As Is (Fontana, 1966 First UK Pressing)

The Blues Bunch next. I have been dipping my toes into the world of Blues off and on over the past few years and have recently been streaming a lot after reading the biography of drummer Jon Hiseman (he played with John Mayall). Looking forward to listening to these, Incredibly I blind-purchased the Major Lance and it wasn't until I added it to my Discogs that I saw it last sold for just over £90 and £120 before that! Not bad for £1!

View attachment 176062

Roberta Flack - Quiet Fire (Atlantic, 1971 First UK Pressing)
Roberta Flack - Killing Me Softly (Atlantic, 1973 First UK Pressing)
John & Yoko / Plastic Ono Band With Elephant's Memory And Invisible Strings - Some Time In New York City (Apple Records, 1972 First Pressing)
Joni Mitchell - The Hissing Of Summer Lawns (Asylum Records, 1975 First Pressing)
Dusty Springfield - A Girl Called Dusty (Philips, 1964 First UK Mono Pressing)

Here comes the vocalists! These are the records that I have been playing on this swelteringly hot evening. "Killing Me Softly" sounds absolutely phenomenal, such a fantastic pressing. I've been most impressed with Dusty Springfield, I didn't think I was familiar with her but was surprised to recognise several tracks. Joni Mitchell was a real joy as well, sounds great! The John and Yoko was.....interesting. On a side note, I was in Iceland several years ago at the Reykjavik docks and a tour boat to "John Lennon Island" (seriously that's what they call it despite it actually being Viðey Island) was offering free trips for the evening as a mysterious benefactor had paid for them as part of the anniversary of Lennon's passing. We went to the island as the sun was setting (it's super tiny at about half a square mile) and crowded around the "Imagine Peace Tower" which was turned on and shot a beam of light into the pollutant-free sky. Turned out to be Yoko Ono and not only did she "sing" (literally screaming into a microphone) but she also had eveyone hold hands around the light in layered circles before swaying back and forth. Very cultish.

View attachment 176063

Eartha Kitt - Chez Moi / When The World Was Young (His Master's Voice, 1965 Demonstration/Sample Pressing)
Roy Shirley With Lynn Taitt & His Band - Hold Them / Be Good (Doctor Bird, 1967 First 7" Pressing)
Carl Perkins - Blue Suede Shoes (Sun Records, 1956 First 7" Pressing)

Finally, 3 7" records for a quid. The Doctor Bird label intrigued me enough to get it and then I threw in the Sun and HMV to make 3.

View attachment 176064
every single one of your carboot posts fills me with such envy

Been a while since new records came in

Finally the Billy Woods record and the reissue of the Akua Naru debut with the super cheap low effort artwork ... No idea why they did this..
Ive been after the album for a while but never wanted to spend that much on the OG.
The big cheeko was on sale, so why not.

PXL_20230627_140803577~2.jpg

Huge thanks to @jamieanderson1968 for pointing out the error of Canadian Amazon's ways on this one!
I generally avoid giving them my money but in this case, I suspect they took a loss, or possibly just broke even...

View attachment 176392
Glad you grabbed it. I had to cancel my order since we have sprung a leak in our basement (only when there is heavy rain) and need to get it fixed fairly quickly. Damn home ownership.

Finding myself wading more and more towards the esoteric side...a vinyl purge might be upcoming.

June Acquisitions

Ambient selections

Brendan Eder Ensemble - Therapy
Nivhek - After its own death/Walking in a spiral towards the house
Steve Roach - Dreamtime Return

20230629_142253.jpg

I came across another favorite in the past few weeks from this year released in Q1. Therapy by Brendan Eder Ensemble is a serene, gently performed orchestral movements that borders on spiritual. Enjoyed it a lot, and I have MP to thank as per usual.
Nivhek is an alias of Liz Harris (Grouper). This 2xLP set is a soundtrack to a film that I've never seen (or heard of) before. She describes this music as "a requiem, a ritual, to unlock and release feelings."
Found a repress of one of the ambient/new age legend's best works, Dreamtime Return at MP. With that, I think I have enough of Roach's tunes on LP to keep me satisfied for a long time...certainly the essential ones.

Avantgarde selections

Kali Malone - Living Torch
Arthur Russell - Picture of Bunny Rabbit
La Monte Young, Marian Zazeela - 31 VII 69 10:26 - 10:49 PM / 23 VIII 64 2:50:45 - 3:11 AM The Volga Delta

20230629_142825.jpg

One of my favorite recent minimal/drone releases in recent years got repressed, and is now finally in my library. Living Torch is a disturbing, layered work that leaves you in a dissociative state in its stead that few others do.
The recent archival release of Arthur Russell's work is mind-bogglingly amazing. More unearthed demos and experiments from his World of Echo era, which still sound as mind-bendingly inventive today as the mother album must have been decades ago.
The reissue of these two sidelong recordings from avantgarde architect La Monte Young were done very well from the ever consistent Superior Viaduct.

Miscellaneous selections

Cindy Lee - What's Tonight to Eternity
Sam Gendel, Sam Wilkes - Music for Saxofone & Bass Guitar
Joe Pass - For Django
Strawberry Switchblade - Strawberry Switchblade

20230629_141922.jpg

Cindy Lee's music is like a more claustrophobic Broadcast. Probably a wise decision to have waited a year to try this one after now having absorbed the music of the latter. A grower, but rewarding.
I saw a few people talking about + spinning the Gendel/Wilkes collab on the forum, and surprisingly MP also recommended it to me early in the month. For only $18, I figured why not. Definitely enjoying it, similar feeling to what listening to J Dilla does for me.
SoV shenanigans partially led to the Joe Pass record shown above x2. I actually don't like it that much upon trying a few tracks, so at least one copy will get the boot to a local, with the other likely following suit.
I can't believe that MP got a copy of this amazing synthpop gem! Strawberry Switchblade was a short-lived synthpop group of Jill Bryson and Rose McDowall. Despite this self-titled LP being their only studio album, they were a precursor to fringe culture/scene fashion, with this album's artwork being a strong indicator. "Since Yesterday," "Another Day" and "Secrets" are all jams. It's never been repressed since the 80s.

Back