Fresh Grabs

What a fun song/video! Never heard of them, but that's good stuff!

They're a gem. Started off as Mathias on his own, or joined by whatever friends happened to be around, and evolved into a more formal band. They tour Europe more than Canada because it's more economically viable, so it's been a bunch of years since I've seen them but they've long been a fave. Mathias is one of my favourite songwriters when it comes to cynical wit.

Their album Baby is my absolute favourite. I hope it sees a repress before too long...

Been awhile since I posted in this thread. Here are the new May (and 2 from June 2) arrivals
A double shot from Scotland in the 80's
The Associates / Sulk and Altered Images / Happy Birthday. Grabbed both of these OG Canadian pressings from a Twoonie bin. So after taxes still under 5 bucks, the price 40 year old used records should be. Covers are beat up but the vinyl is pretty much perfect.
Piroshka / Love Drips and Gathers. Featuring members of Lush, Moose and Modern English. Grabbed a copy after reading Miki Berenyi's biography.
And some Tone Poets to round out the half dozen.
IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_8004.jpeg

1st two Rhino High Fidelity titles just arrived. At 1st glance they look well done. Excited to give them a listen.

On the downside, the two heavy lps were shipped in a 12x12 tight Uline box with Zero protection for corner dings. I lucked out. Somehow they arrived without major shipping damage but really….these are numbered covers of premium priced reissues. A lot of these will arrive with corners damaged. 😠

I've had lots of records come in and out of my flat in the past few weeks. Sold a lot, but also bought a lot. Helps that the carboot sales are back in full swing.

Nick Drake - Bryter Layter (Island Records, 1971 First Pressing)

This was an unexpected find. Years ago I went on a really long binge of Nick Drakes music, listening on repeat and digging into the deep cuts. Never thought I would find an original pressing that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg!

IMG_7015 2.JPG

Dizzy Reece - A New Star… (Tempo Records, 1955 First 10” Pressing)

Another big find. I purchased a collection of jazz and this was tucked away. It's trumpeter Dizzy Reece's debut recording as lead and a real rarity at that. Reece was never overly flamboyant and this is a straight ahead blowing session, with plenty of big named sidemen including Tubby Hayes.

IMG_8665.JPG

Art Pepper - Meets The Rhythm Section (Contemporary, 1967 First Mono Pressing)
Alice Coltrane Featuring Pharoah Sanders - Journey In Satchidananda (Impulse!, 1971 First Pressing)
Directions In Jazz Unit Directed By Bill Le Sage - S/T (Philips, 1964 First Pressing)
Tubby Hayes - Untitled (Tempo Records, 1955 Unreleased Test Pressing)

Here is a load of 'doubles' that I bought for swaps/trade. Interestingly (to nerds like me anyway) 2 versions of the Art Pepper were released at the same time, with the only differences being that one had red text for the title on the rear and 1 had blue. I already had the blue and this one has the red. No idea what that means though. The real winner and certainly my find of the year is an incredibly rare Tempo, 2 single-sided 10" test pressing of an unreleased recording. It's likely that this is literally the only copy left as it would have only been released in this format as it was never made commercially available. Tempo only released 11 albums as part of their 10" series and this would have been anything from the 1st through5th based on the recording date.

IMG_8175.JPG

Charlie Parker - The Mercury & Clef 10-Inch LP Collection (Verve Records, 2021 Box Set Pressing)

I got married a couple of weeks ago and one of the gifts we received was this fantastic box set of Charlie Parker 10" releases. The person that got us this stayed at our flat a while ago and said he noticed we had a "few records" and thought this would be a nice additions, which it certainly is!

IMG_8174.JPG

Sonny Rollins – Movin' Out (Prestige/Esquire, 1956 First UK Pressing)
Dizzy Reece - Blues In Trinity (Blue Note, 1983 Japanese Pressing)
Gordon Beck + Two - Half A Jazz Sixpence (Major Minor, 1968 First UK Mono Pressing)

A mixed bag of jazz goodness. The Esquire pressing has the exact same metal work (down to the RVG stamp) as the original US. The Dizzy Reece was the last of his Blue Note recordings that I was after.

IMG_8570.JPG

National Youth Jazz Orchestra - S/T (Philips, 1971 First Pressing)
Phil Woods & Donald Byrd - The Young Bloods (Prestige/Esquire, 1957 First UK Mono Pressing)
Shake Keane – That's The Noise (Ace Of Clubs, 1967 First UK Mono Pressing)
Stanley Turrentine - Home Again (Elektra, 1982 First Pressing)
Freddie Hubbard - Mistral (Liberty, 1981 First Pressing)
Johnny Hodges - The Jeep Is Jumpin' (Verve Records, UK Compilation Pressing)
Frank Zappa - Zoot Allures (Warner Bros. Records, 1976 First US Pressing)
Frank Zappa - You Are What You Is (CBS, 1981 First UK Pressing)
Frank Zappa - The Man From Utopia (Barking Pumpkin Records, 1983 First US Pressing)
The Mothers Of Invention - Burnt Weeny Sandwich (Reprise Records 1970 First UK Pressing)
The Beatles - Revolver (Parlophone, 1966 First UK Mono Pressing)
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (WWA Records, 1973 First Pressing)

A few week's worth of carboot hauls. Each record cost me a quid (I think 1 or 2 might have been £2) and for that price, I can definitely justify buying bits to listen to for the first time (all the Zappa's)!

IMG_8590.JPGIMG_8367.JPG

I've had lots of records come in and out of my flat in the past few weeks. Sold a lot, but also bought a lot. Helps that the carboot sales are back in full swing.

This was an unexpected find. Years ago I went on a really long binge of Nick Drakes music, listening on repeat and digging into the deep cuts. Never thought I would find an original pressing that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg!

View attachment 174493

Another big find. I purchased a collection of jazz and this was tucked away. It's trumpeter Dizzy Reece's debut recording as lead and a real rarity at that. Reece was never overly flamboyant and this is a straight ahead blowing session, with plenty of big named sidemen including Tubby Hayes.

View attachment 174496

Alice Coltrane Featuring Pharoah Sanders - Journey In Satchidananda (Impulse!, 1971 First Pressing)
Directions In Jazz Unit Directed By Bill Le Sage - S/T (Philips, 1964 First Pressing)

Here is a load of 'doubles' that I bought for swaps/trade. Interestingly (to nerds like me anyway) 2 versions of the Art Pepper were released at the same time, with the only differences being that one had red text for the title on the rear and 1 had blue. I already had the blue and this one has the red. No idea what that means though. The real winner and certainly my find of the year is an incredibly rare Tempo, 2 single-sided 10" test pressing of an unreleased recording. It's likely that this is literally the only copy left as it would have only been released in this format as it was never made commercially available. Tempo only released 11 albums as part of their 10" series and this would have been anything from the 1st through5th based on the recording date.

View attachment 174498

Charlie Parker - The Mercury & Clef 10-Inch LP Collection (Verve Records, 2021 Box Set Pressing)

I got married a couple of weeks ago and one of the gifts we received was this fantastic box set of Charlie Parker 10" releases. The person that got us this stayed at our flat a while ago and said he noticed we had a "few records" and thought this would be a nice additions, which it certainly is!

View attachment 174497

Gordon Beck + Two - Half A Jazz Sixpence (Major Minor, 1968 First UK Mono Pressing)

A mixed bag of jazz goodness. The Esquire pressing has the exact same metal work (down to the RVG stamp) as the original US. The Dizzy Reece was the last of his Blue Note recordings that I was after.

View attachment 174500

Phil Woods & Donald Byrd - The Young Bloods (Prestige/Esquire, 1957 First UK Mono Pressing)
Frank Zappa - The Man From Utopia (Barking Pumpkin Records, 1983 First US Pressing)
The Mothers Of Invention - Burnt Weeny Sandwich (Reprise Records 1970 First UK Pressing)

A few week's worth of carboot hauls. Each record cost me a quid (I think 1 or 2 might have been £2) and for that price, I can definitely justify buying bits to listen to for the first time (all the Zappa's)!

View attachment 174501View attachment 174502
Congratulations on your marriage! Beautiful gift for the art work alone.

View attachment 174493

View attachment 174496

View attachment 174498

View attachment 174497

View attachment 174500

View attachment 174501View attachment 174502

Nice Nick Drake find ..never seen an original in the wild

Back