Fresh Grabs

I’ve been to this record store in Greenwich Village a few times before during visits to NY, and once I’ve gotten past the “I’m in New York City I must be getting ripped off” paranoia, I’ve typically walked away with a fun stack of albums. The proprietor is a talkative, fun and very knowledgable (and quintessentially New York!) guy who’s been in the business a long time, and as I was doing my typical google searches to figure out which shops I wanted to hit this time around, I stumbled upon this relatively recent Pitchfork article about the guy/shop, so it was great because I was able to tease him about now being famous! It’s a bit of a digger’s paradise, and that’s even before he gives you permission to go into the storage closet! Found a few things (not able to include a photo?).

My grabs:

Last edited:
I really wanted to show off my long time grail "The Roots Come Alive" here. But I can't figure out how to post a picture now. 🤔

@RenegadeMonster has been hard at work with the server switchover and the image migration is taking some time, once that's wrapped uploads will be active again. I look forward to seeing your grail when that time comes!

Got a cool pickup yesterday at target yesterday and since we are waiting for pic uploads again, I’ll just post the link to Target’s site for the record.

David Bowie may have been afraid of Americans, but my copy of Earthling came from one.

(It looks something like this...)
Earthling_2048x.png

Thanks, @yukbon! I'm quite stoked for this!

Took the kids up to my folks' place in Nanaimo for the weekend and my wife and I were able to sneak away a couple of times - we went shopping for her (and the kids) yesterday, and today we were able to slip out so I could spend an hour at the record store I like up there and she gave me a bit of fun money!

One of the first things I spotted, going through one of the 3 "new arrivals" used bins by the front till was this:
NjMtMzY2NS5qcGVn.jpeg

...which I was pretty sure I'd double back for, and did.

Nearing the end of my hour in the store I was reasonably certain I was going to pick up the copy of London Brew I'd spotted, but at the very last minute I stumbled upon this:
My01Mzk2LmpwZWc.jpeg

...copy number 35 of 50, and signed! {There are 2 other editions, also limited but slightly less so - and they don't look as good.}
I didn't even know it existed before today but figured it being a Live in Nanaimo album I had found in Nanaimo meant I should probably grab it.
It was put together by the same Nanaimo-based label that has put out my friends' Tremblers of Sevens albums, and the owner of the shop told me they had some involvement in it as well. Very stoked to give this one a spin soon!

The Burning Hell just did a reissue of my second favourite album (which happens to house my absolute favourite song they've ever written) and my copy arrived today - I am waaaay stoked!

I'm especially stoked about the amazing sleeve notes, which I had not read before:

We get weird when things change. It makes us paranoid and disappointed that we placed our trust in something, as though the core or essence of it has been compromised somehow. Things can get so bad in our fixations with "progress,' we might blind ourselves to the more enticing aspects of spiritual and physical evolution. It's as futile as screaming at a clock.

I mention all of this because the Burning Hell has changed a lot over the past decade but are also essentially still the same-an idiosyncratic hub that trusts ideas and invention first and worries about bypassing logistical parameters maybe fourth or fifth.

Because they are funny and present rather empathetic, selfless perspectives via catchy-ass songs, they are not lauded as the truly great band they are by self-serious arbiters of taste in the media, who will throw in with fashion before consistency, eight days a week. At one point, their founder, primary lyricist, and singer Mathias Kom played punk songs with a ukulele, which is a very tiny guitar that macho men do not take seriously. Now he plays an electric guitar and macho men are still kind of dicks about it.

But Kom and the various people he has collaborated with over the years are laughing their way to the credit union. Because they've composed the dizzyingly word-y, musically rich, witty pop songs on Public Library, including the completely perfect, "Fuck the Government, I Love You," they rise above the hard marketing of *art' we're meant to accept on a daily basis.

Currently writing in a reflective cycle of nostalgia tinged with cynicism (a good cleanse begins with scrutinizing our memories), Kom looks at our collective, socio-cultural existence and seems utterly fascinated by how much we think we've changed in adulthood. He finds, I think, that our formative periods, as young people, really built an unshakable foundation and all of the new information and knowledge we've processed and accrued is merely a selective add-on to our fundamental selves.

Remember The Muppet Babies? Was that the first ever "prequel?" Or was it kinda, sorta Back to the Future 1/? Maybe the first prequel was actually the flashback sequence in The Godfather Part I. In any case, listening to the Burning Hell is a lot like experiencing some cross between The Muppet Babies and The Godfather Part Il. We change a little but we're the same. Wocka Wocka Wocka.

Vish Khanna

The Burning Hell just did a reissue of my second favourite album (which happens to house my absolute favourite song they've ever written) and my copy arrived today - I am waaaay stoked!

I'm especially stoked about the amazing sleeve notes, which I had not read before:

I love that song

May Acquisitions

Lana Del Rey - Did You Know That There's a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd
The Presidents of the United States of America - The Presidents of the United States of America
Arthur Russell - Calling Out of Context
Yasuaki Shimizu - Kakashi
Suss - Promise
Sylvan Esso - Sylvan Esso

20230531_225216.jpg

Only bought three records this month, all in one trip to Mississippi Records. Fumbled through their excess stock of Walmart/Target exclusives, which they seem to get cheap wholesale deals on and pass similar savings on to those who shop in store. Saw an unpriced copy of the newest Lana record (Target exclusive), which I've recently come around on and very much enjoy. Inquired what the price point would be and I was given an offer for only $10 sealed!!! So generous of them. Also glad to stumble upon what must have been a repress of Kakashi for $22 and an Arthur Russell compilation release for $25. Combined with trading in a pair of Beatles records that I no longer listen to, got the trio for a very reasonable price.
Thank you to @avecigrec for the (random) PIF of Suss and @Jan for the PIF of both PUSA and Sylvan Esso.

What a fun song/video! Never heard of them, but that's good stuff!

EDIT: Just FYI, it's available from jpc.de for 26 Euros shipped to the US.

Last edited:
Back