Fresh Grabs

while doing some RSD social media recon, I saw a nearby spot had a killer 90s indie rock collection come in. mostly records i already had but i thought i’d pop in nonetheless

among a number of faves, i saw most of brainiac’s discography in the bins, and while i didn’t see the holy grail out for sale, i had a hunch that it might have been in the collection. i asked and sure enough, a pristine first pressing of “bonsai superstar” was lurking behind the counter.
51580279-24DB-4C65-A821-B3CC17C7A129.jpeg
no exaggeration to say i’ve been looking for a copy of this record for the better part of my adult life. having missed the extremely limited reissue (now a three-figure LP), i had to jump on this on sight. not cheap but well under the going rate for a record that has very low chances for a proper reissue. i’m stoked.

Happy Record Store Day my friends!
Here's my new RSD editions to the collection.
Peter Tosh - Live & Dangerous
The Temptations - All Directions
Nas - Made You Look
Rapheal Saadiq - The Way I See It
The Black Keys - Live At Beachland Tavern
The Pogues -The Stiff Records BSides
The Cranberries - Wake Up & Smell The Coffee
Poe - Hello
PM Dawn The Bliss Album
Not pictured: Tony Toni Toné - Greatest Hits CD
I got pretty much everything I wanted except Macho Man and Taylor Swift. I'd say it was a success! 🙌
20230422_191312.jpg

I took a different approach to RSD this year. In the past, I used to go for every record that caught my eye and it certainly wasn't a cheap day, but it was a fun one. In recent years I have been seeing more and more people queue up to flip, prices skyrocketing above their already high price, and uninspired releases. There was a couple that caught my eye, the 2 Reel To Real jazz releases for example, but I decided not to queue up like usual and put them on my list to pick up once they hit online (if available).

Instead, I decided to sell some records on the lead-up and then aim for records that I have actually been wanting for a while. Big hitters essentially, many of which ended up being cheaper than RSD releases.

Hank Mobley - A Caddy For Daddy (Blue Note, 1966 First Stereo Pressing)
Andrew Hill - Point Of Departure (Blue Note, 1965 First Mono Pressing)
Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers - S/T (Blue Note, 1962 Mono Pressing)
Alice Coltrane Featuring Pharoah Sanders - Journey In Satchidananda (Impulse!, 1971 First Pressing)
Alice Coltrane Featuring Pharoah Sanders And Joe Henderson - Ptah, The El Daoud (Impulse!, 1970 First Pressing)
John Coltrane & Alice Coltrane - Cosmic Music (Impulse!, 1969 First Pressing)

Some real heat here. The Alice Coltrane's have barely left my turntable, so good!

IMG_6613.JPG

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio - Midnight Sugar (Three Blind Mice, 1977 Pressing)
The Yamamoto Trio - Misty (Three Blind Mice, 1974 First Pressing)
Ayako Hosokawa With T. Miyama & The New Herd - Call Me (Three Blind Mice, 1979 First Promo Pressing)
The Isao Suzuki Trio / Quartet – Blow Up (Three Blind Mice, 1977 Pressing)

Several years ago I fell down the J-Jazz rabbit hole and have been digging deep again recently. The opportunity to pick up some great original and early pressings of some of my favourites came up and I was at the right place at the right time.

IMG_6604.JPG

It's been a really tough last week to get through so this doesn't even include all the good deals from DeepDiscount and a few other things so I got some major cleaning and organizing to do 👀

First off, I hit the RidingEasy sale and I did not go Easy! I got the damaged Brown Acid box and I don't mind the dings at all but worried that bubbling cover is only going to get worse with time but hopefully not. I've listened to both the Ice and Master Danse albums digitally enough times where those were no brainers and for some reason Satan's Satyrs was deeply discounted on top of the sale so decided to give that a mostly blind buy.

IMG20230418163302resize.jpg

The very same day I also hit up the Cosmic Peddler and his sale...

Finally all caught up with Devil's Witches and Mephistofeles!

IMG20230418162218resize.jpg

The Mayham Sessions was the only missing thing I had from them on vinyl so did an extremely rare thing and got the Cassette copy of that along with the other live stuff in this box. It's a pretty cool little set actually!

IMG20230418162739resize.jpg

Before the above sales I was actually patting myself on the back since below is all I had bought in over a month and a couple were even pre-orders but that changed with all the other recent deals anyways haha.

The new Vault package.

Another Rubellan Remaster of Oingo Boingo added to the collection.

The Final People Under The Stairs album (Officially just a Thes One tribute but it's still a PUTS album to me).. it was a bit of a heartbreaking listen but absolutely lived up to the huge hype and they were able to go out with not a single even mediocre album.. Legends!

Rocktober Blood Soundtrack with a vividly bloody screen printed cover! Easily one of the more underrated Metal albums period imo and something I honestly never expected to own on vinyl.

IMG20230418181142resize.jpg

Lastly, not quite Vinyl but very much so music related! I've been watching Naoya's work for awhile but always scoffed at the shipping price from Japan.. Finally caved and happy I did so!

IMG20230427155012resize.jpg

So my boss knows that I collect vinyl and had mentioned his friend had moved to Arizona and left him some Zeppelin LPs. He then went on and said he doesn’t have a turntable and had no intention of spinning them. He offered them to me free of charge and I said of course I’ll take them. Not expecting that they would be the deluxe edition box sets 😳. Three of which are still sealed. So now I have all these and I am only really a casual listener.

3E1E604D-AAD4-468E-AD2B-2B83987C1F61.jpeg

Last edited:
So my boss knows that I collect vinyl and had mentioned his friend had moved to Arizona and left him some Zeppelin LPs. He then went on and said he doesn’t have a turntable and had no intention of spinning them. He offered them to me free of charge and I said of course I’ll take them. Not expecting that they would be the deluxe edition box sets 😳. Three of which are still sealed. So now I have all these and I am only really a casual listener.

View attachment 173176
I guess you’re a fan now.

View attachment 173176
Hi, I'll take III and Physical Graffiti 😊

Holy ah Moly, that's a pretty amazing surprise.. I only have two of them but they are some nicely put together boxes so congrats on becoming a hardcore Zeppelin fan overnight! 🤪

View attachment 173176
You should probably get him a “Boss of the Year” mug!

My RSD shopping arrived today. Just Miles. Nice and quick from Moby Disc in Denmark. Ordered Sunday morning and arrived on my doorstep this morning.
View attachment 173224

This one will find my shelf eventually. On The Corner is my favourite Miles so it just makes sense!

My Amythyst Kiah arrived from RSD as well but I forgot it at work! :(

Back