Fresh Grabs

I'm going to be honest- this is the first time I have heard this album beyond "The Dripping Tap". Not anything bad, but because I think TDT is the best piece of rock music I've heard in at least 5 years and after it's done I'm usually musically satisfied for a while.

But hey the rest of the album is good too

1661912333011.png

I only had a few minutes to check out Boo Boo Records but was able to finally grab a couple Delaney & Bonnie albums with clean vinyl for only $5 a piece and threw in a Funkadelic shirt because why not?

IMG_20220829_212943.jpg

Been on the verge of starting to grab some of these 4k Shout deluxe boxes for awhile now so started with these 3 classics due to there sale and also have Prince Of Darkness and my favorite Carpenter film The Fog coming soon 😬

IMG_20220829_212830.jpg

Then a couple pre-orders and a couple solid priced wants off the list.

IMG_20220830_211149.jpg

I also picked these up on Sunday/Monday
20220829_190502.jpg
picked this up from the merch stall at a day festival where SDTG did a stripped down set, been meaning to pick this up for a while so was a perfect excuse
20220829_190525.jpg
10 inch signed EP from Coach Party who were great live the other month, the scramble around the merch was to much at the time so I picked this signed copy up at Rough Trade
20220829_190444.jpg
new album by Pale Waves
20220829_185955.jpg
just filling in a few gaps in the collection as I never owned this back in the day

August Acquisitions

Bought more than I should've. Likely will partake in a no-buy September.

Ambient pickups

Garrett - Private Life
Garrett - Private Life III
Aki Tsuyuko - Leo
20220829_004601.jpg

Both of these MFM titles were acquired on the cheap from the TTL sale early in the month. Bought them immediately once my no-buy July was over. They have been wantlist items since I've had Private Life II for roughly three years, lacking an affordable avenue to obtain them in the past with Musique Plastique lacking a brick-n-mortar until this past June.
The other record pictured intrigued me simply from the cover art. It features works recorded for Aki’s 2017 exhibition at Portland sound art gallery Variform - with beautiful artwork and design by Ippei Matsui. Quite beautiful.

Jazz pickups

Felt - Train Above the City
Wayne Shorter - Speak no Evil
Wayne Shorter - The All Seeing Eye
20220829_004803.jpg

Got this Felt record on a recommendation from MP, which I didn't expect to be lounge jazz, given the post-punk history of the group. Tried it out of the test station, and enjoyed it. Was affordable enough, so I went with it.
See no Evil arrived safely from @Sonicpharmacist last week. Thank you again!
The All Seeing Eye arrived early in the month. Target had that backed up for me for a few months.

City Pop! 🏙️🏖️

Naoya Matsuoka & Wesing - The September Wind
Yumi Matsutoya - 悲しいほどお天気
Masayoshi Takanaka - Jolly Jive
Masayoshi Takanaka - Saudade
20220829_005058.jpg

All are OGs imported from Japan, $20 or less for each! Easy-breezy tunes, and I was caught off-guard with Jolly Jive containing a track off the first LitA city pop compilation. Very happy that MP can upkeep a small city pop library stocked while keeping prices incredibly reasonable.

Miscellaneous pickups

Aphex Twin - ...I Care Because You Do
Broadcast - Maida Vale Sessions
Yellow Magic Orchestra - BGM
20220829_005348.jpg

Got this Aphex Twin record for $10 at Mississippi Records after trading in a few bum records for credit.
Found both the Broadcast and YMO records at Musique Plastique for less than the usual going rate. Extra nice that YMO is a Japanese OG despite a missing OBI strip, but what can ya do.

At this point, despite the ~20 record stores in Portland, I'm likely going to stick with the two mentioned above for 90% of my in-person music shopping. There are many others that are worth visiting, but MP and Mississippi have fit my niche and preferences well.

Speaking of, I bought an eye-catching Julee Cruise (RIP 😞) T-shirt from MP from their newly curated clothing rack. I'm pleased to see that they have been partnering with two local Portland DIY shirt designers for clothing wares, in addition to a few comic books and the usual record selection in their shop, to add some variety to the shopping experience.

20220831_023127.jpg

Enamel pins as of now:

20220830_121407.jpg

I somehow already had some spare corkboard near a few pinned photos.

Last edited:
The Pipettes were great! Two of them, Gwenno and Rose Elinor Dougall, have since gone on to make some great records on their own. Completely different to what they were doing as a group, but worth seeking out if you liked their voices.

The Gwenno albums are class. Highly recommended.

View attachment 145986

New Gwenno. Might have to ditch the PVC sleeve though…

Two months late to the party on this one but I'm just wrapping my first stream of it and I'm pretty floored. Very cool album. I'm gonna have to check out her previous stuff. And the Pipettes, I guess, too!

View attachment 149896
View attachment 149897
View attachment 149900
Garrett T Capps - I Love San Antone
Liz Longley -Signed Funeral For My Past White Vinyl
Tim Kasher - Middling Age Indie Exclusive White Vinyl
Tim Kasher - Middling Age Webstore Green Marble
Waxahatchee - Bandbox Exclusive Cerulean Salt - Blue and White Qaud Vinyl
John Moreland - High on Tulsa Heat
Kelsey Waldon - No Regular Dog Vinyl Cup Exclusive Clear Vinyl with Gold Swirl
Waylon Jennings - Vinyl Me Please Honky Tonk Heroes
Broken Hearts and Dirty Windows Volume 2 Vinyl Cup Exclusive
Arlo Mckinley Vinyl Cup Exclusive
Massive John Moreland fan here. Truly a top 15 songwriter of all time for me, I’d say.

I have my collection stored in an old cigar box but a nice cork board would be a much nicer way to display them.

I've got most of mine bagged and stored in a box too. Cork sounds like a good idea. The last few I've purchased are sitting on a small box in my room.

The NIN pin was from the show in April. I was thrilled they were selling them!

PXL_20220831_192710624.jpg

Google Local Guides from Google
Starry Night from Immersive Van Gogh
Grandfather Mountain
Smokies and Clingmans Dome
Blue Ridge Parkway

August grabs!

First, the new stuff: Bowie 90s reissues and yet another Nirvana live album.

47BCDECE-A0C5-4C35-BCFB-C19B759C7A45.jpeg

Next, the used stuff: finally found a solid copy of Fillmore East, plus a couple of cheap Yes albums and a $1 copy of this messy Stills-Young record.

B76A9CC9-371A-401A-AF2A-1C5D670A39C4.jpeg

Later in the month I traded in about 20 records to my local in exchange for store credit. Used some of it to pick up this friendly little beast that I had been eyeing for years now:

A3FAAC81-55D1-4D35-995C-3E92E29AD469.jpeg

(The box could be in better shape but all 3 LPs are pristine.)

Another not so NM- rec from Dusty Groove. I’ll get several really good ones and start to get my confidence up; then I’ll get one that doesn’t even come close to my NM- grading.

Several deeper marks and countless hairlines on both sides. This thing has been played a lot. What do u guys/gals think……

01CEA56A-2A72-47D8-A010-F80C52E2C7DE.jpeg

6548E791-DA20-45DC-A476-4B4EABD1973C.jpeg

D3F06AFF-B214-41C9-B3AC-E9419EDD0E78.jpeg

B5F35F19-4BAB-4762-84AB-93329C877DB8.jpeg

Visually, that is most definitely not a NM- record. How does it sound?

Just arrived. 1st press Aja $60 with shipping. Not the upgrade to the two early presses (1980) I have at home that I was hoping for. You know. My copy(s) look NM- and plays like new. I was just hoping to grab an OG 1st press.

Looks fairly dirty, but maybe those are just surface scratches?

Other than the 3 smaller but deeper scuffs they are definitely paper/surface scuffs. Lots of them. :). Both sides / all angles. Played countless times and handled roughly. 🤕 Most likely not on a vintage Lynn LP12.

I’d love to give it a nice retirement home but space is tight and I’m hoping to find a super nice copy. This would b a place holder at best.

Last edited:
Other than the 3 smaller but deeper scuffs they are definitely paper/surface scuffs. Lots of them. :). Both sides / all angles. Played countless times and handled roughly. 🤕 Most likely not on a vintage Lynn LP12.

I’d love to give it a nice retirement home but space is tight and I’m hoping to find a super nice copy. This would b a place holder at best.

That sucks. I just boxed up a few to return to a seller.

I've found buying records is like fishing, you gotta throw some of them back.

giphy (3).gif

August Fresh Grabs
C452B393-07D2-4BDA-9B7F-270DDBCEC4C7.gif
The Albums
The Allman Brothers Band - The Allman Brothers Band
Richard Betts - Highway Call
Elvin Bishop - Let It Flow
Widespread Panic - Widespread Panic
Widespread Panic - Ain’t Life Grand
Widespread Panic - ’Til The Medicine Takes
Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Live Rust
Link Wray - Link Wray
The Rolling Stones - Black & Blue
The Beatles - Help!
Waylon Jennings - Honky Tonk Heroes
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
VA - Copulating Rhythm: Blues and Jazz Rarities
Junior Mervin - Police & Thieves
Max Romeo & The Upsetters - War Ina Babylon
Curtis Mayfield - Super Fly
Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep
Dangerous Thought - Cheat Codes
Superchunk - Foolish
Bardo Pond - Amanita
Louis XIV - The Best Little Secrets are Kept
Secret Machines - Now Here is Nowhere
Lemonheads - Lemonheads
Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

Magazine
Uncut Curated Edition: Pavement

Cassette Tapes
Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted
Danzig - Danzig

I was fairly modest in my collecting until the end of the month when I went on a bit of a buying spree. Still, I am very happy with the pieces I’ve added. My best (and most expensive) additions came in two separate purchases both from my local record store. At the beginning of the month I picked up two fantastic Reggae original pressings, Junior Murvin and Max Romeo’s albums were both produced by the legendary Lee “Scratch” Perry. The second big adds happened just this past week when my local got in a rare collection of late 70s/early 80s MoFi and Japanese pressings. The MoFi were much too pricy but I was able add a copy of The Beatles Odeon Help! Mono on red wax and a Japanese pressing of Rolling Stone’s Black And Blue both of these were in pristine condition. Beyond that I added some Capricorn Records classics. I picked up a reissue of The Allman Bros. Band Debut record, An OG Pressing of Dickey Betts debut record, and an original pressing Elvin Bishop’s Let It Flow. Also, I guess Widespread Panic were originally on Capricorn before it folded as well. Also I received a couple of nice PIFs from @Sonicpharmacist and @hatfieldpdx respectively (thanks guys!). I ended up buying 3 of the VMP ROTM this month, all three were really well done. I think the only New Release I added was the Black Thought/Danger Mouse album which is excellent. Oh, I also picked up a weird comp of dirty Blues tracks based strictly on the cover art. Not exactly what I was expecting but it was was cheap and the cover is pretty rad. The two Cassettes were nice finds and the Pavement magazine is a fun read. Great month overall. On to September!

Back