Fresh Grabs

Woo! I’ve gotten very much into this hobby this year. Never built a PG but I’m almost done with the Sazabi Ver Ka which is almost as big. Only heard amazing things about the kit you have. Feel free to DM me if you ever have questions. Been meaning to post a pic of my collection but waiting for a good day to finish top coating a couple kits first.

I’m on a MG Zeon kick, got these up next
View attachment 149218
Nice! I hadn’t really thought about doing one but then two months ago I checked out the Adam Savage video where he unboxes and assembles the PG Gundam which led to some other videos which led to me checking what I would need which led to now lol

The Dick Morrissey Quartet - Storm Warning! (Mercury, 1966 First Mono Pressing)
Kenny Wheeler And The John Dankworth Orchestra - Windmill Tilter: The Story Of Don Quixote (Fontana, 1969 First Pressing)
Graham Collier Music Featuring Harry Beckett - Mosaics (Philips, 1971 First Signed Pressing)
Don Rendell Ian Carr 5tet – Dusk Fire (Columbia, 1966 First Mono Pressing)
Joe Harriott & John Mayer Double Quintet - Indo-Jazz Fusions (Columbia, 1967 First Mono Pressing)

Some British jazz heat today! The real jaw dropper here is Dusk Fire. Earlier in the year, I sold a lot of records and traded my way up to a copy of Dusk Fire which I never thought I would be able to do. Fast forward and I found a second copy in the wild along with Windmill Tilter (another double), Dick Morrissey and Harriott/Mayer. The Graham Collier is another double BUT the sleeve is signed by all but 1 of the musicians. Plenty to sell now 🤣

IMG_4348.JPGIMG_4349.JPG

Kokoroko - Could We Be More (Brownswood, 2022 Limited Pressing)
Oliver Nelson - More Blues And The Abstract Truth (Impulse!/His Master's Voice, 1965 First UK Pressing)

The absolute blindingly good debut (crazy to think it's technically their first!!) album from Kokoroko, which is such a great summer album. Plus, a cheapo Oliver Nelson buy.

IMG_4350.JPG

Tony Kinsey Quintet - An Evening With Tony Kinsey "Mr. Percussion" (Ember Records, 1961 First Pressing)
Kenny Baker And The Baker's Dozen - Blowin' Up A Storm (Columbia, 1959 First 10" Pressing)
We Jazz Magazine - Issue 4 "The Call" (We Jazz Helsinki, 2022)

A couple of weekends ago we had a day out outside of the big city and whilst at a small town we popped into a record shop and some antique places. I picked up the Kenny Baker (not usually my jam but the side-men are the creme of British jazz - Ronnie Ross, Don Rendell, Johnny Scott, Bill Le Sage....) after chatting about jazz for quite a lengthy spell with the owner of the shop. The Tony Kinsey is another with a great line-up (Jimmy Deuchar, Tubby Hayes, Bill Le Sage, and Lennie Bush) which was dirt cheap. It was only when I got home that I saw a piece of the cover was missing and the previous owner had done a 'restoration' job 🤣. Finally, I popped over to 'Sounds Of The Universe' in my lunch break in the week to get the latest instalment in the superb WeJazzHelsinki magazine series. I haven't been able to put it down!!

IMG_4347.JPG

The Zombies - She's Not There (Decca, 1981 First Pressing)
Fleetwood Mac - Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac (CBS, 1977 Pressing)
Vince Guaraldi Trio - Jazz Impressions Of Black Orpheus (Fantasy/ Vocalion, 1963 First UK Pressing)
João Gilberto - Cantando As Músicas Do Film Orfeu Do Carnaval (Odeon, 1959 First Brazilian 7" Pressing)
Lionel Hampton – Hamp's Boogie Woogie (Columbia, First UK Pressing)
Harry Edison Quartet - Sweets At The Haig (Vogue, 1955 First UK Pressing)

Finally, I went to the carboot for the first time in a few months and came back with some great records for a quid each. Im only really familar with The Zombies 'Time Of The Season' (which is such a killer jam) and was glad I found this comp to dig deeper, its great! Again, im fairly familiar with the later iteration of Fleetwood Mac but not really of the Peter Green era. I have read the fantastic 'Storms: My Life with Lindsey Buckingham and Fleetwood Mac' which was a real eye opener, but again it was mainly the post-Green period. The rest are jazz and some pretty good stuff at that, I just finished the Black Orheus and its killer. Funnily enough we were discussing the latest (of countless) reissue of Vince Guaraldi's 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' over on the Definitive Pressings thread just the other day. Finally, the real gem here is the Brazilian João Gilberto 7", which was at the very bottom of a huge box of 7" releases which were mostly classical and pop stuff.

IMG_4351.JPG

Back