Fresh Grabs

Nothing worse than explaining to your SO that you are on a vinyl diet. Then the next day a Miles Davis box set shows up, and the the day after that another 3 show up
MBV - Isn't Anything (AAA 2021 reissue)
MBV - eps (I would have so dropped a lot of $$$ on a vinyl box set of these eps)
Dean Wareham - I Have Nothing To Say To The Mayor Of L.A
Dean & Britta - Quarantine Tapes

View attachment 114805

One day I hope that I’m able to drop a lot of €€€ on a box set of those EPs… 😂

One day I hope that I’m able to drop a lot of €€€ on a box set of those EPs… 😂
I have this bootleg

If you find a copy, I really suggest picking it up. Digitally sourced of course, but really well done (they sound surprisingly great) and probably the best these EP's will ever sound (unless we eventually get an analog remaster like the albums).

Thanks to @Sonicpharmacist for latest grabs. Can confirm items they're selling from collection are legit good quality.

Everything except Hejira. They WOULDN'T sell me their copy. So I had to go into the wilderness of eBay and find a copy. I even explained:

When I was a little boy in Panama, a rich American came to our town and he was holding the finest most well-pressed record. I said to him, "what do you call this most beautiful record?", and he said "they call it Hejira". I repeated the words "Hejira, Hejira". I asked if I could have it, and he said "No. Get away from me." Then he started to walk away. But I grabbed onto his leg screaming for him to give me the record and he dragged me through the street. And then he kicked at me with the other foot and threw some change at me. Oh, but I didn't want the change @Sonicpharmacist . I wanted the Hejira.***

But altogether great experience!
PXL_20211013_223007566.jpg

***parts of the story may have been embellished or outright fabricated for effect

Last edited:
Thanks to @Sonicpharmacist for latest grabs. Can confirm items they're selling from collection are legit good quality.

Everything except Hejira. They WOULDN'T sell me their copy. So I had to go into the wilderness of eBay and find a copy. I even explained:

When I was a little boy in Panama, a rich American came to our town and he was holding the finest most well-pressed record. I said to him, "what do you call this most beautiful record?", and he said "they call it Hejira". I repeated the words "Hejira, Hejira". I asked if I could have it, and he said "No. Get away from me." Then he started to walk away. But I grabbed onto his leg screaming for him to give me the record and he dragged me through the street. And then he kicked at me with the other foot and threw some change at me. Oh, but I didn't want the change @Sonicpharmacist . I wanted the Hejira.***

View attachment 114818

***parts of the story may have been embellished or outright fabricated for effect
Glad you’re enjoying them, and especially glad you found your own damn copy of Hejira.

View attachment 114818

captain-america-i-understood-that-reference.gif

When able can you give a review of both pressing and mix quality? I have the older digital remaster, which I find enjoyable, but I could be swayed....
For $25 from the local I would grab it. Fresh mix sounds nice, things are a bit cleaner in a good way, Ringo pops a bit more like previous Giles mixes, vinyl is flat. Good time to retire my older, tired copy. Any extras I'm likely to stream or get in flac for now.

Emma-Jean Thackray - Yellow (Movementt, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Exclusive Pressing)
Teddy Pendergrass - Life Is A Song Worth Singing (Philadelphia International Records, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Classics Pressing)

Super glad I was able to swap for the Emma-Jean Thackray this month. I have to admit to not connecting with her music the same way that I have with others on the Brit jazz scene but did enjoy parts of her Walrus EP. I haven't dug into this one yet other than stream a couple of the tracks and I actually did really like them, so hopefully, the rest of the album doesn't disappoint. I did however listen to the Teddy Pendergrass last night and its a really fantastic album. Perhaps less punchy/in your face as others but certainly really catchy with lovely vocals.

IMG_9262.JPG

John Surman / John Warren - Tales Of The Algonquin (Deram, 1971 First Pressing)
The Tony Kinsey Quintet - Play A "Jazz At The Flamingo" Session (Decca, 1957 First Mono Pressing)

A couple of 'big hitters' that I have had on my wantlist for a while now. The Tales Of The Algonquin is one that will be released as part of the Decca reissue series soon (@JohnnyCashFan definitely one to check out) and has a jaw-dropping line-up that includes the likes of Mike Osborne, Harry Beckett, Alan Skidmore, Kenny Wheeler, etc. The Tony Kinsey Quintet has been on my list for ages and I pretty much gave up hope on finding a decent copy for a decent price. The few times it pops up on ebay it sells for silly money but includible I was able to get this on a different site for a fraction of what it usually goes for. It's the second LP to feature Joe Harriott (the first being in a big band setting) and he has plenty of explosive solos on this. On a side note, I have noticed a lot more British jazz records being shared on Instagram lately from US accounts. I imagine it's going to drive prices up for some of the early big hitters as the spotlight is being turned on these great albums.

IMG_9265.JPG

Tubby Hayes - "The Eighth Wonder" (Tempo, 1958 First 7" Pressing)

Another rarity, this time from the 'Little Giant', Tubby Hayes. Unfortunately, this doesn't have the sleeve but the record itself is in amazing shape with no surface marks at all. I would have liked to have the original sleeve with it but seeing as they typically sell for over £100 I was able to get this at a fraction of the price without it. Its all about the music after all!

IMG_9266.jpg

Poetry & Jazz 1962 Concert Handbill.

This is an interesting piece of jazz-related paraphernalia. In the early 60's a few jazz musicians (Michael Garrick, Ian Carr, Joe Harriott, Shake Keane, etc) began to look into fusing poetry with jazz. It really started off when a festival had both poetry readings and jazz perfromances separately, and the musicians then looked into fusing the 2 together. Pianist Michael Garrick took the lead on this and teamed up with some of the current poets to put on a series of performances, with this handbill being from the earliest. It was such a success that Argo released 2 LP's of a live performance a couple of years later, with a book also being released (I have shared these in a separate photo below).

IMG_9270.JPG
IMG_9271.JPG

Analog jazz groobs are the best kind of fresh groobs.

IMG_1463.JPG
IMG_1462.JPG

Had a chance to spin a few already, and I have to say the Lee Konitz/Mulligan Quartet record is fantastic. I was hesitant to buy consdiering this period of cool-jazz has never been my style, but ended up grabbing it considering it's marked about $35 everywhere and I had some credits at my LCS. His playing is really something. I hear Bird, I hear Getz, I hear some Mulligan as well. The interplay this group has is just wonderful. Definitely recommend all jazz fans pick this one up.

Back