Fresh Grabs

Don Rendell Nine - Earth Music (Spotlite Records, 1979 First White Label Promo Pressing)

I have had this record on my wantlist for a while but I have never actively looked for it. This copy popped up online and I was able to get it for less than £15 inc postage, which is a real deal in my eyes. Its a really fantastic live album that features Rendell leading a big band. Theres hints of Ellington but with a clear 'British' approcah. Lots of great solos as well.

IMG_9621.JPG

Emcee 5 - Let's Take Five! (Columbia, 1962 First 7" Pressing)

This is a huge grab for me and one that literally changed the shape of British jazz. The Emcee 5 were a group of Northern musicians that included Mike Carr (trumpeter Ian Carr's brother). They would regularly perform in Newcastle and after Ian Carr had served in the army and travelled across Europe, he went back to Newcastle and 'auditioned' to be in the group. He gained a spot and the group moved South to London. One day he got chatting to producer Denis Preston and played him a tape of one of their live performances. They got halfway through the first song before Preston asked if they would record for him (under Columbia's label). They jumped at the chance and 'Let's Take Five!' was the result and their only studio performance. However, the recording had a much greater impact in the years to come. In 1965 Ian was part of Don Rendell's group and they were looking to get backed by a label to record an album, with little success. Ian went back to Preston (using the connection that he made during the Emcee 5 days) and explained their situation and he agreed to record them in what would become the most famous and sought-after British jazz releases ('Shades Of Blue', 'Dusk Fire', 'Phase 3', 'Live', 'Change Is'). Rendell was so grateful that he added Ian's name to the group title and 'The Don Rendell / Ian Carr Quintet' was born.

IMG_9622.JPG

Jazz Kissa 2014 Vol.1 by Katsumasa Kusonose (Self published, 2021)

In the past year Katsumasa Kusonose has released 3 magazines/journals that highlight some of Japan's stunning Jazz Kissa (or 'Kissaten'). He was originally going to release a full book but the pandemic restricted him so he released what he had in a different format. This 4th release is much closer to a book in thickness and is a superb coffee table 'magazine' full of stunning photos. I ordered this a few weeks ago and they started shipping a week ago and took just 3 days to get to me from Japan, which is absolutely crazy!!!

IMG_9623.JPG
IMG_9624.JPGIMG_9625.JPGIMG_9626.jpgIMG_9627.jpg

Don Rendell Nine - Earth Music (Spotlite Records, 1979 First White Label Promo Pressing)

I have had this record on my wantlist for a while but I have never actively looked for it. This copy popped up online and I was able to get it for less than £15 inc postage, which is a real deal in my eyes. Its a really fantastic live album that features Rendell leading a big band. Theres hints of Ellington but with a clear 'British' approcah. Lots of great solos as well.

View attachment 115508

Emcee 5 - Let's Take Five! (Columbia, 1962 First 7" Pressing)

This is a huge grab for me and one that literally changed the shape of British jazz. The Emcee 5 were a group of Northern musicians that included Mike Carr (trumpeter Ian Carr's brother). They would regularly perform in Newcastle and after Ian Carr had served in the army and travelled across Europe, he went back to Newcastle and 'auditioned' to be in the group. He gained a spot and the group moved South to London. One day he got chatting to producer Denis Preston and played him a tape of one of their live performances. They got halfway through the first song before Preston asked if they would record for him (under Columbia's label). They jumped at the chance and 'Let's Take Five!' was the result and their only studio performance. However, the recording had a much greater impact in the years to come. In 1965 Ian was part of Don Rendell's group and they were looking to get backed by a label to record an album, with little success. Ian went back to Preston (using the connection that he made during the Emcee 5 days) and explained their situation and he agreed to record them in what would become the most famous and sought-after British jazz releases ('Shades Of Blue', 'Dusk Fire', 'Phase 3', 'Live', 'Change Is'). Rendell was so grateful that he added Ian's name to the group title and 'The Don Rendell / Ian Carr Quintet' was born.

View attachment 115509

Jazz Kissa 2014 Vol.1 by Katsumasa Kusonose (Self published, 2021)

In the past year Katsumasa Kusonose has released 3 magazines/journals that highlight some of Japan's stunning Jazz Kissa (or 'Kissaten'). He was originally going to release a full book but the pandemic restricted him so he released what he had in a different format. This 4th release is much closer to a book in thickness and is a superb coffee table 'magazine' full of stunning photos. I ordered this a few weeks ago and they started shipping a week ago and took just 3 days to get to me from Japan, which is absolutely crazy!!!

View attachment 115510
View attachment 115511View attachment 115512View attachment 115513View attachment 115514
The Jazz Kissa book looks incredible. Not sure I can afford shipping, but must try to get those!
(*Edit: $31 shipped standard, not bad....Dear Santa... 😇)

@Ghost

Last edited:
Do I have OG copies of all these Echo & The Bunnymen albums? Sure do!

Do I NEED any of these? No, not really!

Do I like asking rhetorical questions of myself and then answering them? You bet ya!

Big up to @Ethos99 and the Paladin Buyers Club!

View attachment 115320
Ok, if I were to buy just one of these which should it be? I’m a big 80’s fan and enjoy their hits (Bring on the dancing horses is a jam) but don’t own any Bunnymen on vinyl.

Ocean Rain is a masterpiece. I think all 4 are classics but OR is amazing.
This is the right answer. They're all great but I'd personally ranked them it would be in reverse chronological. So...Ocean Rain, Porcupine, Heaven Up Here, Crocodiles.

But just one...yea Ocean Rain. It has a beautiful mix of acoustic and electric guitars (although they'd long used this mix in their songs) and just some fantastic songs. And that voice! I'm not even gonna pick standout tracks. Beginning to end, it's a top tier album from those opening acoustic strums of Silver to the beautiful heartache of the title track.

This is the right answer. They're all great but I'd personally ranked them it would be in reverse chronological. So...Ocean Rain, Porcupine, Heaven Up Here, Crocodiles.

But just one...yea Ocean Rain. It has a beautiful mix of acoustic and electric guitars (although they'd long used this mix in their songs) and just some fantastic songs. And that voice! I'm not even gonna pick standout tracks. Beginning to end, it's a top tier album from those opening acoustic strums of Silver to the beautiful heartache of the title track.
Was lucky to see them on that tour. Also got to see them again in 2008 (I think it was) performing it in order start to finish

What's the Cd DM ? I have to get that Konitz/Mulligan!
It's a Hip-Hop compilation CD from a record label:

I buy a few Hip-Hop CD's once in a while so i always have something to listen to during my weekly cleaning of room 😬

Picked up some early 2000's Nu-Breaks 12" that I've wanted for a long time.

20211025_211012.jpg

Influx1 - Darkness / Digital Rust remix
Son Of the Electric Ghost - Mysterious / Thanks 2 You

I dont really like collecting 12"s because i'm not a DJ but I want get everything by SOTEG - that man was ahead of his time.

Haunted House Party (Candy Corn Splatter)
Atmosphere – WORD? (Ewok Variant)
Pretty underwhelmed with this one.. The jacket is pretty low quality compared
to all of there albums in the last decade+ and this cost much more.. The "Certificate"
is also kind of cheesy especially when you have a jacket that would have looked
great signed. The color turned out nice though at least!

Neil Young – Young Shakespeare (Deluxe Box)
Surprised I got such a low # at 686

PicsArt_10-25-01.54.13_2.jpg

Julian Saporiti – No-No Boy / 1975 (Test Press)
For some reason this was listed cheaper then the standard press so why not?

PicsArt_10-25-04.08.24.jpg

Then a slightly drunken order from RealGone where I broke my F*$# Christmas until at least November rule. The two Horror scores came with a signed print. Overall i've made much worse orders i've later found out about!

PicsArt_10-25-04.11.58.jpg

Last edited:
Well, between a bunch of things that were delayed showing up, some classics being reissued, and a couple stops at the local this month had quite a few. Been spinning a lot though, and enjoying everything.

The Jayhawks - Tomorrow the Green Grass
The Jayhawks - Sound of Lies
The Jayhawks - Smile
Strand of Oaks - In Heaven

Really happy to have the 4 early Jayhawks albums I enjoy, just need to find Rainy Day Music. Strand of Oaks is really putting out some consistently great music in that rocking Americana arena, like an indie MMJ.

AA1C520B-649C-4356-A9AE-FB54228F887B.jpeg

Echo and the Bunnymen - Crocodiles, Porcupine and Heaven Up Here
Parquet Courts - Sympathy for Life

Had to grab the Echo records, just waiting for Ocean Rain. Classics! And Parquet Courts can do no wrong.

268702B5-1972-4B8F-8C7C-C5E6496F50C0.jpeg

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage
Neil Young - at Carnegie Hall
Jaimie Branch - Fly or Die live
Freddie Hubbard - Ready for Freddie

Herbie and Freddie are sounding great, good reissues of these. The Jaimie Branch I'm gonna need to spend more time with, but enjoying so far. The Neil Young is so.damn.good. If you like Neil at all, I would suggest this one.

CA206F45-76B2-486A-8E59-89B8494B5E74.jpeg

Blake Mills - s/t
Charley Crockett - Music City USA
Counting Crows - August and Everything After
R.E.M. - Automatic for the People

I can't get enough of this Blake Mills, has been on constant repeat. Fits right into the Hiss Golden Messenger/Fruit Bats/Bon Iver fall music I've been digging. Charley Crockett is a damn fine Country artist, and this is another one that sounds great. This Counting Crows one was a steady rotation when younger, remember finding that one about a year before it went big. And an R.E.M. classic.

3F46E306-3771-447B-870E-3A8B28CA5966.jpeg

Oingo Boingo - Nothing to Fear
Eyelids - Dubble Live!
Jonny Polonsky - Hi My Name Is Jonny
Mike Viola - Electro de Perfecto

I've been craving adding some more Power Pop to the lineup, and these all fit the bill to a point. Oingo is one of the new reissues, and sounds fantastic. Eyelids are a Portland band with members from a bunch of well regarded bands, this is a nice live set. They Jonny and Mike Viola's are a couple of solid Power Pop records, enjoying something a little more upbeat between fall records.

12060C0E-3CF9-4FC6-A71A-91B8BFE73FCD.jpeg

Monophonics - In Your Brain
Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings - Naturally
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...
Wilco - a ghost is born

Couple of reissues with Monophonics and Sharon, didn't have either yet so it worked out. Great records. Been waiting to grab the DJ Shadow, and this Abbey half speed sounds really solid. Been told for a while I needed this Wilco, and I'll agree that this pressing is fantastic (it's still no Being There, Summerteeth or Yankee Hotel Foxtrot though). I think I have most of the Wilco I need now. Will be plenty of spins before Sky Blue Sky. RIP Jay, looking forward to the doc on him.

3B28266B-FD10-4633-BD0E-72694BEDBB99.jpeg

Gordon Lightfoot - Gord's Gold
Nick Lowe - the old magic
Le Ren - Leftovers
The Beatles - Let It Be box

A buddy had duplicates of the first two and sent them my way. No idea what to expect with the Lightfoot, but really love any Nick Lowe. Le Ren was the Secretly monthly, nice sound in that singer songwriter vein. Fits in with Waxa a bit. The Beatles is what it is, I think the hardbound book is pretty great and my favorite part of it. Sounds great as always with these pressings.

30D41A95-2CF0-495E-A56B-2FA557682C94.jpeg

Back