Fresh Grabs

28338699-B530-4A95-BA15-B2EE6037A918.jpeg

Pretty solid mail drop today…

Metallica - Black Box Limited Edition #26,853 out of 52,000. :)

BTBAM - Colors II Alt-cover version #55/125

Third Man Vault #49 - Bob Dylan: Springtime in NY. Includes most all of the extras on vinyl that should have been an option in the official vinyl release but was not.

This is my second haul from the same private collection… Listening to these Surfers albums is the closest I’ve come to getting high in a long time!

View attachment 111975
View attachment 111976
View attachment 111977
View attachment 111978

A few of these (Skylarking, Heaven and Hell, Animals) are duplicates for me, but for $5 a pop I couldn’t pass up the chance of an upgrade.

Awesome. The only thing better than new records is scoring a stash of classic used vinyl.

Just some solid priced filler records i've wanted for awhile along with a T. Rex shirt!

Ummagumma was a lucky local find. I hadn't found a single piece of vinyl worth taking home from any Thrift/Antique type stores for a good 2 or so years and stumbled across this one that was missing a price sticker and when they told me "$6.50" I was all over it. It ended up being even more clean when checking it out closer, I doubt it has been played more then a couple times since it looks so pristine. Not bad for an OG US pressing!

PicsArt_09-15-04.36.03.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 112430

Sad but I don't think I can buy records from Amazon Uk anymore. They seem to have decided a paper bag will protect a record from any damage. Save costs by damaging every record you mail out.
Amz Centers here have trained workers to use inner and outer boxes in the past, but there is so much turnaround and temp labor at Amazon now that training must not be happening.

I also got a poly bag, no boxes recently, and now some centers are using Media Mail instead of Prime for shipping! If this happens use Amz chat feature and ask a Agent/Team Leader for full/partial refund for the F ups. You may have to ask for the team leader but they will do it.

Last edited:
View attachment 112430

Sad but I don't think I can buy records from Amazon Uk anymore. They seem to have decided a paper bag will protect a record from any damage. Save costs by damaging every record you mail out.
So rediculous.

I saw someone post a record from Amazon on instagram the other day. Amazon had just taken the record and slapped a shipping label onto it. Just a slap in the face at that point.

Herbie Hancock - Inventions And Dimensions (Blue Note, 1964 First Mono Pressing)
John Patton - Along Came John (Blue Note, 1963 First Mono Pressing)
The Contemporary Jazz Quartet Featuring Sonny Murray - Action (Debut Records, 1965 First Pressing)
Sun Ra & His Solar Arkestra - The Magic City (Saturn Research, 1966 First Mono Pressing)
Bill Evans Trio - Everybody Digs Bill Evans (Riverside Records, 1963 Mono Pressing)
John Coltrane - Meditations (Impulse/His Master's Voice, 1966 First UK Mono Pressing)
Bobby Timmons - Sweet And Soulful Sounds (Riverside Records, 1964 Mono Pressing)

Milt Jackson – The Ballad Artistry Of Milt Jackson (Atlantic/London Records, 1960 First UK Mono Pressing)

This has been quite the week for fantastic records. Over a year ago I was approached online by a gentleman that was looking to gauge information on a large collection that his neighbour gave him to sell. The vast majority was rock and pop but he had a small bundle of jazz and blues that he needed some information on. For the next few months, he would send me photos of records asking for any info I could find, which pressings they were, which genre they belonged to, and a rough prize. Amongst the piles of reissues were some incredibly rare first pressings that I told him were likely worth a small fortune. He offered me first refusal and this week we finally felt comfortable enough to meet up. Not only did he bring the 4 that I was interested in, but he also brought an additional 4 which he thought I might like. We started going through prices and I was showing him Popsike and Discogs sold figures and I made it clear that I was not going to be able to buy the big hitters but could stretch for the less expensive ones. He then shockingly said I could have the lot for such a low price that I thought he was joking, I actually offered him much more but he just refused and said it was a 'thank you' for helping him over the year and that he was just glad to see them go to a good home. I still cant believe how lucky I am to have got these. The 2 free jazz have only been played a couple of times as the original owner bought them new but wasnt a fan of them. They all play fantastically and really are killer sessions.

IMG_7727.JPG
IMG_7715.jpg
IMG_7726.JPG

Lee Morgan Quintet - Take Twelve (Jazzland, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Classics Pressing)
John Surman - S/T (Deram, 1969 First Mono Pressing)
Alan Shorter - Orgasm (Verve Records, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Exclusive Pressing)
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers (RCA, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Essentials Pressing)
Various - Another Day, Another Time: Celebrating The Music Of "Inside Llewyn Davis" (Nonesuch, 2021 Pressing)

A mixed bag of stuff that includes VMP goodies (im giddy with excitement to hear the Lee Morgan), plus a Brit jazz rarity (John Surman). I have been trying to find the Inside Llewyn Davis for a good price for quite a while now, as I already have the 'Original Soundtrack Recording' and was intrigued by this 3lp set. It tended to go for silly money and even this recent reissue was expensive. Incredibly I was able to get this new for under £20, which is a win in my book.

IMG_7728.JPG

Lee Morgan – The Complete Live At The Lighthouse: Hermosa Beach, California (Blue Note, 2021 Limited Box Set)

Only sharing this to show how much Lee Morgan has dominated lately. My first Lighthouse box came battered from Amazon UK so I kept an Amazon Italy order that I had originally placed. It turned up this week in the same standard Amazon box (no padding) and I expected the worst but miraculously it looks fantastic. Im not going to start the process of sending the UK one back, so it might even pop up in the warehouse deals at some point.

IMG_7719.JPG

Jazzwise
Down Beat's Music 1960 Yearbook #1
The Camen McRae Show Programme

Finally some bits to read. I rarely get Jazzwise but this issue looks great, with articles on Tubby Hayes, Miles Davis Live-Evil, and the upcoming London Jazz Festival. The Down Beat yearbook is absolutely fantastic and jam packed with articles, photos, essays, sheet music, etc. Carmen McRae isnt someone that I am familiar with, but the support for this tour was Tubby Hayes, The Jazz Messengers, and the Jazz Five, so it was worth the couple quid just for the articles and photos covering them.

IMG_7722.jpg

Tonight's jams:

lhg7nOp.jpg

The Return of Pachyman - 35 on VMP on gold vinyl or 34 on bandcamp with streaming and downloads.

Radio Bemba Sound System - if you're not familiar, imagine Rage Against the Machine were spanish and singing in spanish and french, and instead of funk metal hip hop they were like "let's do world reggea pop". Manu Chao's background with Mano Negra is actually a lot closer to RATM than my flippant comparison would lead you to believe, but this record, this record is a jam.

Axiom Funk - Bill Laswell produces a lost P-Funk record. Features Buckethead, eddie hazel, bernie worrell, bootsy, herbie hancock george clinton, robbie shakespeare, sly dunbar, anton fier, and maceo parker

I got a bootleg of Childish Gambino's 3.15.20 and didn't love the plain white sleeve it came in. I did really like the art he used on the website for the rollout so I ordered a custom printed sleeve with that on it. I think it turned out pretty awesome.

View attachment 112208

How do you print a custom sleeve? That does look great. I'd like to do that for a couple of white jackets I have.

Yard sale purchase today. Guy was selling a whole lot of stuff, including lots of bins full of records, quite a few turntables, a bunch of speakers (looked like my basement!), and god knows what else. Nice guy who was willing to reduce his prices given that this was the third/last day of his sale. Paid $75 for the lot, which was a good deal less than he initially asked, and at some potent level I understood his pain and didn't want to be a dick! ;)

YSA.jpgYS2.jpgYS3.jpg

It's interesting that I can't find anything online about that Bill McGuffie Trio album--not listed in discogs. Listened to a side and it's a pretty nice, straightforward piano trio album. And I'd never seen that R. Crumb album art before today. Apparently it's the second volume of a comp from a top-40 San Francisco radio station. The Tull and Dire Straits look virtually new, and the jazz records are in nice shape.

Back