Fresh Grabs

0330211427~2.jpg

JLH - VMP pressing.

Tortoise - Millions Now Living...
2021 "Hi Melt" reissue. These latest reissues are superb. Perfect pressings.

Bill Evans Trio - Since We Met (Live at the Village Vanguard '72)

For those of you that are into Bill Evans, this live album is one of my favorites. I feel like it flies under the radar, but definitely worth picking up. Excellent playing from the trio. It is a 1991 Fantasy pressing. $15 for VG+ copy on Discogs.

Dropped by the local and grabbed some oldies but goodies.

Jason Isbell - Southeastern
The Sea and Cake - s/t
Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road
Mark Lanegan - Whiskey for the Holy Ghost

View attachment 93741
Nice grabs! I just received that S&C record from Thrill Jockey. I’ve got a copy of Oui headed my way too though Thrill Jockey was unfortunately sold out so I had to grab that one off of Discogs.

Nice grabs! I just received that S&C record from Thrill Jockey. I’ve got a copy of Oui headed my way too though Thrill Jockey was unfortunately sold out so I had to grab that one off of Discogs.
I almost grabbed Oui too, they had it in stock. May have to go back and grab it soon. I'm still learning about The Sea and Cake, had never spent any time with them and digging it.

Good for you. I just heard from Rhino that they oversold and I am in position to pay premium.

I should have ordered it from the Bowie store.

Bummer. This one ordered from Rhino but return address said David Bowie. It was packed terrible (oversized but very thin box with virtually no packing. Very very minor damage from sliding around but it barely made it.....

85D6C1D9-17EA-4021-B401-E64E00E06CA8.jpeg

Thelonious Monk - Genius Of Modern Music: Volume One (Blue Note, 1956 First Mono Pressing)
I have been really enjoying Monk's music lately as I am currently reading his behemoth biography. It's a fantastic book that really highlights the struggles that Monk faced, especially during the time that this album was recorded. I have actually been on the lookout for this album for a while and stumbled across a recent listing. I was able to get a low offer in which was, rather incredibly, accepted. The record itself is in stunning shape for its age but the sleeve does have tape to the edges. Still, it's quite the prize in my book!

IMG_8279.JPG

Lennie Niehaus - Vol.1 The Quintet (Vogue Records, 1955 First UK Signed Pressing)
This is a really special record as it is signed by Niehaus on the label. Its a fantastic session and I was able to get this at a good price, so im very happy.

IMG_8274.JPG

Freddie Redd - Straight Ahead! (Interplay, 1977 First Sealed Pressing)
The Prestige Blues-Swingers - Outskirts Of Town (Esquire/Prestige, 1958 First UK Mono Pressing)

After Freddie Redd's death last month I started streaming the more obscure, later albums from his impressive career. This was one that I really enjoyed and I ended up finding a sealed copy online for a great price (now unsealed!!). The Prestige Blues-Swingers features an all-star line-up and was initially released by Prestige, but this is the UK Esquire pressing.

IMG_8277.JPG

Chet Baker - In New York (Riverside, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Exclusive)
Chet Baker - It Could Happen To You (Riverside, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Exclusive)

The 2 Chet Bakers are the Craft/VMP pressings and I have to say that the colours look really nice and they ended up costing less than the standard pressings would be over here in the UK.

IMG_8276.JPG

March Acquisitions

Ambient/Outer Sounds pickups:

Nuno Canavarro - Plux Quba
Tim Story - Threads
Sarah Davachi - All My Circles Run
Hans-Joachim Roedelius - Tape Archive Essence 1973-1978

20210402_012152.jpg

Fantastic selections from Outer Sounds, as always. Plux Quba is probably their biggest get yet; I was able to find a copy elsewhere for $19.99; what a steal for a landmark avant-garde piece!
Thank you @dropsonde so much for recommending Sarah Davachi. I found All My Circles Run to be enticing and bewitching. This electroacoustic style is fairly new to me and I hope to dive deeper with similar artists. It will be paired eventually with a copy of Pale Bloom whenever Superior Viaduct get their shit together with a shipping notice. 😡
This album by Roedelius reminds me a lot of the ambient side of Brian Eno's work, especially the earlier days. I thought my initial listen was quite comforting and joyful.

Steve Roach - Quiet Music 1
Steve Roach - Quiet Music 2
Steve Roach - Quiet Music 3

20210402_012039.jpg

Got these all by redeeming my Musique Plastique gift certificate purchased back in mid-April last year. Picked these up in person at the owner's (formerly co-owner) house and had a nice ~25 min conversation with him. He seems to be ambitious in getting a new brick & mortar boutique shop sometime late this year, and I am absolutely happy for him ❤️
Unfortunately, my copy of Quiet Music 2 is warped significantly. However, an amusing story in that I shared these pickups on IG and tagged Musique Plastique in it. The label, Telephone Explosion Records (who follow MP), reacted to my story and dared me to play them all in succession 😂. I commented back in saying that I was planning to, but with the second entry being warped, I had to skip it. They claimed that they wouldn't be able to replace it initially but ~3 hours later commented later by replying "Actually, fuck it. I'll send u a replacement" then asking for my address. Soo...I've got that going for me! That's how you get me to be a fan of your label. ;)

Current Year pickup:

Xiu Xiu - OH NO

20210402_012709.jpg

Not a fan of this one. Sitting in the "to sell" crate awaiting offloading.

Miscellaneous pickups:

Kids See Ghosts - KIDS SEE GHOSTS [Target exclusive]
Lianne La Havas - Lianne La Havas [indie exclusive]
Kelly Lee Owens - Oleic (EP)
Lingua Ignota - All Bitches Die [Hello Merch limited repress]
Wrekmeister Harmonies - The Alone Rush

20210402_013623.jpg

Got a few color editions coming in to replace standard black LPs (KSG, Lianne, Lingua Ignota). I have offloaded the previous standard KSG, gave the standard Lianne as part of a gift to a friend, and still have the standard All Bitches Die still sitting in my "to sell" crate, but with the sleeve swapped out as mine is signed + personalized by Kristin in person.
Deeply in love with Kelly Lee Owens' electronic craft, and saw the EP from @Bluecloud777 (thank you!!!) in a previous post here and decided to nab one. Sound quality on this is as excellent as you'd expect from a 45RPM cut. Looking forward to whatever she puts out next!
As for Wrekmeister Harmonies, if you are in the mood for brooding and rather obscure post-rock with a dark classical shade, I would give this a shot. I enjoyed it (although some in the JQBX did not LOL).

Back