Fresh Grabs

bettim84

April is starting hot due to some new arrivals at my local shop:

D3E5CDFF-6DCF-43D7-A313-A0CA24A465F1.jpeg

The Dylan (mono/2-eye/360/blah blah blah) is a 1964 pressing. It’s a solid G/G: crackly but no skipping, in a smelly sleeve that nevertheless looks good and has no seam splits. The Nina Simone is a similar story but plays and smells better. For $2 a pop, why not (I keep an old cartridge around specifically to play these beat-up records).

The Kenny Burrell was a pleasant find. It’s his only CTI date and although there is some orchestration, it fortunately is not overpowering at all; his guitar is clearly the star here. A solid VG/VG for $6.

As for the Stones, I just thought it was time to pick this up for Side 2 alone (it’s already weirdly becoming my favorite side of any Stones record).

Last edited:

TenderLovingKiller®

Can't remember the last time i got mail on a Saturday. DHL woke me up and my brain and my body were not working as one so i was lucky enough to make it down the stairs in one piece haha

View attachment 94359
Nice surprise and on Easter Sunday at that. I woke up with this hanging off my front porch when I woke up this morning.
55875658-D174-470B-B31E-D7EBC5111295.jpeg

Selaws

Something a bit different today. Not vinyl related but hopefully, I can be forgiven.

I have been clearing out some boxes from a garage and stumbled across this cool Sanyo M-A5LL cassette player/recorder. It's portable but can be easily hooked up to my speakers and plugged into the mains. A few of you may recall that I bought several hundred live jazz cassettes a while ago and this is going to make it much easier to listen to!

IMG_8469.JPG
IMG_8470.JPG

TenderLovingKiller®

Something a bit different today. Not vinyl related but hopefully, I can be forgiven.

I have been clearing out some boxes from a garage and stumbled across this cool Sanyo M-A5LL cassette player/recorder. It's portable but can be easily hooked up to my speakers and plugged into the mains. A few of you may recall that I bought several hundred live jazz cassettes a while ago and this is going to make it much easier to listen to!

View attachment 94481
View attachment 94482
Nice built in speaker too you can carry it with you while you drink tea at the park.

TenderLovingKiller®

Fresh Easter Monday Grabs
C8CA6B33-88FA-4B35-83BC-C53DE3466726.jpeg
Kurt Vile - Speed, Sound, Lonely KV (ep)
The Cars - The Cars MoFi
The Grateful Dead - Skull & Roses MoFi
John Lee Hooker - It Serves You Right To Suffer AP 45 RPM
J Mascis - Several Shades Of Why
Primus - Tales From The Punch Bowl
Darkside - Psychic

These were all mail deliveries. Kurt Vile and Darkside were ordered directly from Matador. The Cars and John Lee Hooker were purchased from Acoustic Sounds. The Grateful Dead MoFi was a good deal from Discogs. J Mascis was an average deal from Discogs and Primus was PIF winner from mensch @zdkaiser. I’ve gotta lot of listening ahead of me.

zdkaiser

Fresh Easter Monday Grabs
View attachment 94494
Kurt Vile - Speed, Sound, Lonely KV (ep)
The Cars - The Cars MoFi
The Grateful Dead - Skull & Roses MoFi
John Lee Hooker - It Serves You Right To Suffer AP 45 RPM
J Mascis - Several Shades Of Why
Primus - Tales From The Punch Bowl
Darkside - Psychic

These were all mail deliveries. Kurt Vile and Darkside were ordered directly from Matador. The Cars and John Lee Hooker were purchased from Acoustic Sounds. The Grateful Dead MoFi was a good deal from Discogs. J Mascis was an average deal from Discogs and Primus was PIF winner from mensch @zdkaiser. I’ve gotta lot of listening ahead of me.
Start here?

Mr Moore

View attachment 92699

Joshua Abrams - Natural Information
Joshua Abrams - Represencing

Chicago-based bassist Josh Abrams puts out a singular style of improvisational, avant garde jazz spotlighting the guimbri, a three-stringed North African bass lute. Its primordial, rhythmic drone lulls like a deep rainstorm, gently bringing shifts in instrumentation and percussion to the forefront in jams that go on as long as 25 minutes. These are special records, recently reissued by Aguirre Records in Belgium, and beautifully pressed at Pallas.

Just saw this coming soon and thought of you.

And if any European members are interested, there is an EU edition pressed at Pallas, US version pressed at RTI.

Last edited: